Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

OP
taylormade73

taylormade73

No More Shimmies? 🤞
Supporting Member
Installing the new JJ end for my Currie track bar and found some concerning things. @mrblaine Have you ever seen stress cracks in a JJ centering ball?

3EC15140-EC8B-4D20-A378-37F5A79F99D5.jpeg

8E8ABC68-30C1-4EFA-8F6F-0A3C93643C5E.jpeg

My track bar came loose in 2021 in Moab while with Josh and Matt. We tightened it back up on the trail and I retorqued once I got back to where I was staying. However, this side of the centering ball has certainly seen some movement to wear off this much material.
1B4BAEC2-0EBF-41EA-B119-5776B7F38AB2.jpeg

Looks like I’ll be ordering a JJ rebuild kit for the frame side.

starkey480

Tuned springs club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Installing the new JJ end for my Currie track bar and found some concerning things. @mrblaine Have you ever seen stress cracks in a JJ centering ball?

View attachment 348594

View attachment 348595
My track bar came loose in 2021 in Moab while with Josh and Matt. We tightened it back up on the trail and I retorqued once I got back to where I was staying. However, this side of the centering ball has certainly seen some movement to wear off this much material.
View attachment 348596

Looks like I’ll be ordering a JJ rebuild kit for the frame side.

From death wobble probably?

OP
taylormade73

taylormade73

No More Shimmies? 🤞
Supporting Member
From death wobble probably?

Perhaps…I should have removed and inspected my track bar rather than just checking torque spec on it. Maybe I would’ve caught it sooner. I don’t know. Aside from the time it came loose in Moab it has always been at spec torque when I checked.

OP
taylormade73

taylormade73

No More Shimmies? 🤞
Supporting Member
Ok. Here’s my theory. There are a couple times I’ve let a shop do the work on my rig—both times they fucked something up. I thought maybe one of the dumbasses used an impact on my track bar bolts and severely overtorqued them, leading to stretched bolts that will never hold spec torque.

So, to test that theory, I installed new hardware frame and axle side and took for a test drive. Results, no DW no matter what bumps or series of bumps I hit, nor on the known areas that always provoke it. Surprisingly, I’m not even getting the slight shimmy I was getting. As of now, it seems to have been solved. I’ll be changing my sub name now.

In light of the condition of the centering ball, I’m still ordering and changing it.

7689DF78-6415-4AA6-98CA-B524C5275792.jpeg

37928354-B933-47C3-9EC9-04A7346DF719.jpeg

starkey480

Tuned springs club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Ok. Here’s my theory. There are a couple times I’ve let a shop do the work on my rig—both times they fucked something up. I thought maybe one of the dumbasses used an impact on my track bar bolts and severely overtorqued them, leading to stretched bolts that will never hold spec torque.

So, to test that theory, I installed new hardware frame and axle side and took for a test drive. Results, no DW no matter what bumps or series of bumps I hit, nor on the known areas that always provoke it. Surprisingly, I’m not even getting the slight shimmy I was getting. As of now, it seems to have been solved. I’ll be changing my sub name now.

In light of the condition of the centering ball, I’m still ordering and changing it.

View attachment 348628

View attachment 348629

Did you replace the centering ball as well?