Measuring for a Tom Woods DC driveshaft with a JB super short SYE?

R3ID05TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
newSScompare.jpg

Can I trust to take Tom Wood's measurement strategy by subtracting 3" from current vehicle measurement (for standard SYE) PLUS another 3 1/8" (for JB's SSSYE) and get my measurement to go ahead and order a driveshaft from Tom?

Or if I'm not going 4" lift right now. Only 3"/2" BDS springs and 1" body lift with a 1" MORE MML, should I even bother getting a SSSYE from JB? Or should I just get the normal SYE and DC all from Tom Woods?

No downside to installing a sssye, especially if you plan on lifting later with raised skids. My suggestion would be to order the sssye and install it, then measure for your driveshaft. TW shafts are usually delivered within 2-3 days.

No downside to installing a sssye, especially if you plan on lifting later with raised skids. My suggestion would be to order the sssye and install it, then measure for your driveshaft. TW shafts are usually delivered within 2-3 days.
Yeaaaa that's my problem. This is going on my only daily driver. I can't be down for multiple days. Tom replied in my build thread about ordering and lead time but his measuring strategy is only for standard SYE kits that he also sells.

Yeaaaa that's my problem. This is going on my only daily driver. I can't be down for multiple days. Tom replied in my build thread about ordering and lead time but his measuring strategy is only for standard SYE kits that he also sells.
Call Shawn at Tom Wood and tell him you’re installing the SS SYE and he will know what size you need. I did and it worked fine

Call Shawn at Tom Wood and tell him you’re installing the SS SYE and he will know what size you need. I did and it worked fine

He just answered in my build thread.

Tom Wood:

Assuming you ordered that with the 1310 series yoke option you'd add that 3.125" back into the subtracted length. Or a maybe less confusing way to say it is that you add 0.125" to the measurement instead of subtracting the 3". If that is still confusing (it is) in the photo above the standard SYE puts the edge of the new output yoke 3" to the right of the line where you measure. With the JB Super Short the edge of the new output yoke will be 0.125" to the left of where the line where you measure.

Drive in 4hi with the front shaft.

Genius. Would that work for 50 miles a day for 2 days at about 70mph?
I'd lower the speed a bit but you'll be fine. I've driven with only the front shaft for several hundreds of miles when my rear centering yoke was trashed and the jeep was my DD. It'll feel weird at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Reactions: GPK03X and R3ID05TJ
Well Tom told me how to measure for the SSSYE as explained above so I got the DC ordered. Already had pulled the trigger on the SSSYE from JB so waiting for that to come in. Now I will have both in hand to install in one go on my day off. Hopefully everything goes as planned.

Reactions: GPK03X
I just installed a JB SS SYE yesterday. Took about 4 hours total and I removed the t-case from the jeep and spent a good bit of time cleaning up the case before disassembling it. Called Tom Wood and spoke with Jon. He answered all my questions on what and how to order, and I ordered drive shafts about 20 minutes ago.

I guess my point is, if you have all the measurements right and everything in hand, you should be able to get it done in 1 afternoon, no problem.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
I just installed a JB SS SYE yesterday. Took about 4 hours total and I removed the t-case from the jeep and spent a good bit of time cleaning up the case before disassembling it. Called Tom Wood and spoke with Jon. He answered all my questions on what and how to order, and I ordered drive shafts about 20 minutes ago.

I guess my point is, if you have all the measurements right and everything in hand, you should be able to get it done in 1 afternoon, no problem.
Perfect timing. Thanks for the info. 4hrs is about what I'm planning. I don't have to clean my t case tho.

I always have a problem of doing then asking questions later. I ordered regular S spline DC. Should I have ordered the X spline. I don't know the difference.

Perfect timing. Thanks for the info. 4hrs is about what I'm planning. I don't have to clean my t case tho.

I always have a problem of doing then asking questions later. I ordered regular S spline DC. Should I have ordered the X spline. I don't know the difference.
The s spline will probably be fine. That's what I ordered. The x spline gives you like another 1.5 inches of travel and a longer bearing surface ( I believe. Im just a guy that ordered shafts, not an expert!). It's an upgrade, for sure, but unless you are doing crazy stuff, I'm willing to be you'll be fine with the s-spline.

Depending on your gear ratio, you may want to correct your speedometer with something like the Speedohealer. Mine read about 10 mph fast at 70 mph after installation of the SS SYE