Mechanical Advice 97 TJ

Zhillslady

TJ Enthusiast
Dang thing needs to go back to the shop again but thought I'd ask here first. Check engine light came on Thursday and I took to mechanic right before they closed. They said it had a 173 or 178 code (I couldn't read my own note when I got home I was mad had to go again and scribbled it). Said likely an O2 sensor. They turned off light and reset it to see if comes back on. It did last night. Called about ballpark price on repair and said need to bring in a see which sensor to know. Neighbor says that should be covered under the warranty of the new engine but he's not a mechanic either. Just wondered if that's plausible. Is it part of the new engine?

Thanks in advance

An O2 sensor would not be part of a new engine and would likely not be covered under any warranty on a new engine unless it says so somewhere in your paperwork.

If it's running fine there's a chance it's the post cat O2 sensor which isn't that difficult to change.

Thank you. My mechanic is pretty reputable so I doubted he'd offer to get me a price to repair something that was part of the new engine but never hurts to double check. My son in law suggested you-tube to see if he can replace himself. Funny the actual mechanic at shop asked me if it made a slight hissing noise when driving. You can tell he never drove one - like I'd hear a slight hissing. LOL

Reactions: StG58
Not sure why it would make a hissing noise unless there was a vacuum leak or something.

Replacing the O2 sensor should be pretty easy if it's the post cat one.

Try to stay away from the Bosch sensors though, they have a reputation for failing in short order. I think the one you want to put in is made by NGK or NYK or something like that. A little searching on the web will reveal the correct part. I understand they are pretty easy to replace, all things considered, but haven't needed to replace one yet. It's along the lines of replacing a spark plug.