Mega-Short SYE Time

nondem

TJ Enthusiast

Sorry to bring up something that has been beat to death but I've finished the install of the 4" RockJock lift and it's time to get a SYE coming. RUGGED RIDGE NP231 Mega Short is about the best price I've found for the shorter type SYEs.

Are there any issues with that particular one I should be concerned with?

2003 TJ Sahara with 42RLE and currently a Dana 35.

Last edited:
I agree but I emailed a person at one of driveshaft vendors to ask about possibly getting a driveshaft that will work for my current Dana 35 but still be usable when I upgrade to a Dana 44.
This was what they said:
If you order the shaft with the X spline and XC slip yoke there will be enough compression and extension on the shaft to accommodate minor changes in running length. I’d measure with the dana 35 and then subtract an extra half inch from the drive shaft length you calculate you’ll need with that dana 35 axle. The Dana 44 is about one inch longer than the 35 which means the drive shaft would technically get 1 inch shorter. By subtracting a half inch from the dana 35 measurement you’d end up with a shaft that is a half inch off now and a half inch off later. In either scenario a half inch is negligible and not enough to affect the operation of the drive shaft.

So I'm thinking I need to get the SYE installed and then get an exact measurement.
I'm sure I outed the vendor with that :)

Last edited:
I agree but I emailed a person at one of driveshaft vendors to ask about possibly getting a driveshaft that will work for my current Dana 35 but still be usable when I upgrade to a Dana 44.
This was what they said:
If you order the shaft with the X spline and XC slip yoke there will be enough compression and extension on the shaft to accommodate minor changes in running length. I’d measure with the dana 35 and then subtract an extra half inch from the drive shaft length you calculate you’ll need with that dana 35 axle. The Dana 44 is about one inch longer than the 35 which means the drive shaft would technically get 1 inch shorter. By subtracting a half inch from the dana 35 measurement you’d end up with a shaft that is a half inch off now and a half inch off later. In either scenario a half inch is negligible and not enough to affect the operation of the drive shaft.

So I'm thinking I need to get the SYE installed and then get an exact measurement.
I'm sure I outed the vendor with that :)

Yup, you do need to install the SYE first. When I bought that packaged deal from Adam's, they send the SYE first. Once they have your measurement, they send you the correct driveshaft. At least that's how I remember the process.

Reactions: Apparition
Yup, you do need to install the SYE first. When I bought that packaged deal from Adam's, they send the SYE first. Once they have your measurement, they send you the correct driveshaft. At least that's how I remember the process.
That's how I did it with Tom Wood. They shipped the ESSYE, I measured and called back with the measurement. Then they shipped my shaft.

Reactions: pc1p and Mobusaki
I did my SYE and then sent Adams the measurements, but I believe they said on the phone that depending on the SYE kit they could determine the correct length before the SYE was installed.

I did my SYE and then sent Adams the measurements, but I believe they said on the phone that depending on the SYE kit they could determine the correct length before the SYE was installed.
Yes adams is great,he sent me my sye and shaft together,I told him I had a 35 and would be going to a 44 here is before and after.1st pic is 35 2nd is tummy tuck and 44
AED2AD43-6DDF-4F5F-9020-6ABE7E3800F7.jpeg
2E08C71D-FC30-40EB-A82F-475A94AE8DFA.jpeg

I was swapping in an 8.8 with mystery yoke, brackets, so they wanted measurements first. I just assumed it was standard practice but I bet you're right.

When I first talked to Shawn at Tom Wood's he asked me about my complete setup & then said he could make a shaft at the same time if I wanted based on what I told him. Seems like they know enough there to determine based on your situation if they need to wait for measurements or not.

I still waited until my SYE was installed though, didn't want to roll the dice on my giving him some bad info & then not having it fit correctly.

When I first talked to Shawn at Tom Wood's he asked me about my complete setup & then said he could make a shaft at the same time if I wanted based on what I told him. Seems like they know enough there to determine based on your situation if they need to wait for measurements or not.

I still waited until my SYE was installed though, didn't want to roll the dice on my giving him some bad info & then not having it fit correctly.
Yeah, I installed the SYE at the same time the Rockjock 60 went in. I didn't want to waste anyone's time if we screwed something up so I waited and sent a measurement.

Reactions: qslim and Mobusaki
Yeah, I installed the SYE at the same time the Rockjock 60 went in. I didn't want to waste anyone's time if we screwed something up so I waited and sent a measurement.
Shawn was confident that he could make a shaft the right length ahead of time as long a what I told was "accurate". That last part is what made me wait lol.

Reactions: Apparition
I was doing some last minute reading on the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE and see that it's "imported". So IOW it's made of Chinesium. That isn't very comforting. JB conversion is cheaper but out of stock. As I understand it there are only 2-3 companies that make these?
I like to buy American and am willing to pay a little more if I'm getting something truly better. I don't ever plan to go above 35" tires w/o getting an Atlas or similar so I dunno if the stronger(more expensive) super-short SYE would be worth it.

I was doing some last minute reading on the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE and see that it's "imported". So IOW it's made of Chinesium. That isn't very comforting. JB conversion is cheaper but out of stock. As I understand it there are only 2-3 companies that make these?
I like to buy American and am willing to pay a little more if I'm getting something truly better. I don't ever plan to go above 35" tires w/o getting an Atlas or similar so I dunno if the stronger(more expensive) super-short SYE would be worth it.
Don’t you lose your speedometer gear and have to go electric (rubicon)with an sssye?just buy everything from adams,he’ll make the shaft at the same time,430.00

Last edited: