memory foam beds STINK

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
We bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WM6BDS/ref=twister_B017WM683Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017WM6BDS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

An awesome deal for what you get and bed is amazing to sleep on, however, it STINKS! The entire room and hallway smells like heavy paint. I hear this is normal and is supposed to go away but it's still the same since day one. I wake up with stuffed up nose and a nasty cough.

Any advice on how to get rid of the smell? I have the windows open and fan blowing right on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
We have memory foam pillows, and a mattress pad. We put the pillows in the drier on just the air cycle, and it really helped, but still took a few days for the smell to go. The mattress pad took about a week before we didn't notice the smell.

It took awhile, I'd say 5-7 days for the smell to leave my bedroom and hallway. Febreze seemed to help a little bit, but I do remember how bad that smelled. It made me feel stuffed up while I was sleeping, until the odor went away. No ill effects now.

Yep, they stink at first, ours did too. It goes away after a well or two though. I just ventilated our room with a fan which helped.

That is a common problem with some memory foam mattresses, as they are made with an older process (Usually). I went through a *lot* of research before I bought mine, and ended up going with a newer company called HIBR. It's one of the "mattress in a box" ones that show up at your door, and it was totally neutral in scent. Also, it is really awesome to sleep on!

I will say, though, that my dad had a somewhat newer Tempurpedic that did have a little smell to it for about 2 days, but it went away (or we all just got used to it, heh)

BTW, great deal on that bed!

Thanks. It's a really nice setup. I thought the bed frame would be cheap but it's actually built very strong. All the pieces for the frame were zipped up INTO the headboard and shipped that way so now I have an empty zip-able headboard to store stuff in. It's pretty neat.

The smell is still overwhelming the room. We took off the bed cover and washed it so it no longer smells. I'm going to get some boxes of baking soda and put them under the bed to speed up the process. I have no AC so it's 80-85 in the house most of the time and I feel that plus the humidity is prolonging the stink.

I did originally order a Lull mattress. Just the Lull queen sized mattress was $800. I cancelled the day before it shipped when I discovered this deal but they still shipped it out to me by mistake. I held onto it and ignored temptation until they realized their mistake ( a month later) and sent fedex to pick it up.

So, all of you memory foamers, quick question:

Aren't they hot as heck to sleep on? I am always hot at night, and find it very hard to stay cool. That is what has held me back from getting one of these mattresses. Are they fairly firm?

So, all of you memory foamers, quick question:

Aren't they hot as heck to sleep on? I am always hot at night, and find it very hard to stay cool. That is what has held me back from getting one of these mattresses. Are they fairly firm?
Actually, that is one of the main reasons I went with HIBR - they have a newer type of foam that is in no way hot! In fact, with their memory foam pillows, they have a hot and cool side! If the tag says HIBR, you're on the cool side, if it says "Made in America", you're on the hot side. The mattress itself is always on the cool side.
Really nice!
Plus, you can almost always get a good deal on them, as they are trying to get their name out there. I think their old promo codes from over a year ago still work!

https://hibr.com/

Reactions: Ron505
FYI most of the better quality memory foam mattresses offer a trial period and if you aren't happy with it then they will send someone to return it for you. That was the deal with Lull and the one I have now. Have no fear and try one out.

The foam bed I have is super soft if you push you hand into it BUT medium-firm when you lay on it. It's kinda funny how that works. I am a face-down sleeper and this bed is firm enough to allow that without any discomfort. My regular mattress does not because it sinks in the middle and my body ends up curved.

Places like The Foam Factory offer different types of memory foam stiffness so you can choose what works for you.

Last edited: