Mental Health in Oregon

1969, Grade 8, my best friend asked if I wanted to come help his family do janitorial work. Heck yes, of course, get paid to spend the night with my best buddy.

Well the reason the family did janitorial work was because Terrys brother was mentally retarded. His Dad worked all day. His Mom helped at the "Winifred Stewart School for Mentally Retarded Children" no political correctness in the 1960s, this is what it was.

I learned 2 things that night. First I was going to get a good education. Second I was going to fight to make sure Canadas Universal Health Care grew and prospered so NO family would suffer that burden again.

I see kids like the girl in the video and I smile. It takes a lifetime to make a difference. I am glad to see a new generation of politicians, young adults, students, Gretas making an impact. They renew my faith in humanity.

Reactions: alittleoff
It's great they're doing that. My wife works with a group called Breaking the Silence NM, who go into schools to teach mental health awareness. Basically informing students and teachers about how mental illness is the same as physical illness, biological, and people need to know that and learn how to help students who are struggling.

Treatment and support is only a part of it.

If you are a business owner, I encourage you to seek out a local sheltered workshop and explore what they can do to help you. The business I work at has been using one as a subcontractor for decades, with exemplary results. We work with them to match jobs / tasks to their employees. They do the training, supervision and QC. The employees make a good wage and benefits package and have a workshop set up at our facility in one of our work areas. They interact professionally with all levels of our staff daily.

Good people doing good work, getting paid and being productive. Interacting with society professionally in the workplace. It's a win for everyone, and the employees of both companies benefit.

Oh, and this is sophisticated medical equipment they are helping produce. Don't underestimate what's possible.

I see a lot of potential for abuse here. If it is truly used as it is supposed to be, then I am all for it, but I can tell you from experience that more and more students are using the "I'm depressed" or "I'm anxious" ploy to get them out of stressful situations, thereby never learning real coping skills. It also diminishes the problems that people who are clinically depressed or suffer from crippling anxieties have to deal with.

Reactions: Jack72 and Hog