Messed up my axle shaft install

COYOTE83

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so I messed up. I was putting together my RGA front axle shafts and I forgot to put the damn snap rings on the u joint cross before I hammered it together.
So I pressed the u joint apart so I could install the snap rings and I pressed one cap through the yoke and now I’m stuck with this.
FE4F55EA-9C0A-4579-A47F-A036675E9C1B.jpeg

I’ve tried several times in various ways to get it out or press/hammer it through backwards so I can start over but no dice. Being that I spent a pretty penny on these and waited a long time to get them, I’d appreciate any advice so I don’t totally screw this up even more than I already have.

So far I’ve put the other cap on and tried to hammer and press it back through and I got it some of the way through and noticed a metal sliver so I stopped and reassessed my dumbassery.

FWIW after I screwed this side up the driver side axle shafts went together great. It’s amazing what you can do when you follow the correct procedure.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
Hammer and maybe a new joint. Loose the press. If the hammer isn't working then try harder with the hammer, it will work.

Edit: you could also cut the joint with a hack saw, I don't know if I'd do that though

Ok so I messed up. I was putting together my RGA front axle shafts and I forgot to put the damn snap rings on the u joint cross before I hammered it together.
So I pressed the u joint apart so I could install the snap rings and I pressed one cap through the yoke and now I’m stuck with this. View attachment 321734
I’ve tried several times in various ways to get it out or press/hammer it through backwards so I can start over but no dice. Being that I spent a pretty penny on these and waited a long time to get them, I’d appreciate any advice so I don’t totally screw this up even more than I already have.

So far I’ve put the other cap on and tried to hammer and press it back through and I got it some of the way through and noticed a metal sliver so I stopped and reassessed my dumbassery.

FWIW after I screwed this side up the driver side axle shafts went together great. It’s amazing what you can do when you follow the correct procedure.
Axle U joints remind me of those mechanical puzzles my parents would buy me on road trips. There's only one way to get it through without forcing it, and it never is obvious.

My best thought is to get that cap back where it belong with a side hit with something like wood in between to prevent damage but idk. At least the yoke is gonna be strong and hard to mess up, easier to buy a new Ujoint

I don't remember exactly how I got there or how I got out of it, but I at one point was in the exact same place you are. I did end up buying another joint and keeping the original as a spare because I was worried I'd contaminated the grease on the side that was without a cap while I dug my way out.

Edit: I remembered I didnt keep it, and it wasn't the grease I was worried about, I accidentally fubar'd the seal.

Reactions: COYOTE83
I can get the cap in the pic almost halfway back through. But if I put the other cap on to hammer/press it through then I’m in the same boat with no snap ring on it.

If you can't get it to drive out with a hammer I'd recommend cutting the u-joint out with a die grinder and purchase a new joint put in there. The U-joint is much cheaper than the drive shaft assembly.

So I’ve got the u joint in now and fully seated with ONE snap ring on, but I don’t think I can get the other snap ring on without bending it some.

And the snap ring I DO have on is bent some. I think I can make this work. I’ll have to open up the snap ring and force it. I know that’s not ideal at all but I have to have it driving Monday.
I think I’m going to get it on there the only way I know how and then install it and monitor it until the new u joint gets here. FWIW the u joint is not damaged. But my snap rings are going to be sprung. Not ideal. But maybe not the end of the world.
B105C5E6-7F4E-4331-9B42-CDD131F2DE8C.jpeg

Issue resolved. Thanks guys.

In the event that someone else does what I did (forgets to put the snap rings on the u joint cross BEFORE they hammer in the caps) and is looking for a remedy, I opened up the snap rings and sprung them, pushed them over the narrowest part of the u joint body, and then took pliers and squeezed the ends together to regain some of the spring tension and then used snap ring pliers to open them and seat them in the groove.

Not an ideal solution, but its my daily driver and it worked so. I’ll order a couple spare i joints and keep an eye on this one until they get here.

Thanks again everyone.

Are you guys that are talking about putting the snap rings in at the end, taking about the partial rings that come with a U-joint? Because revolution packages their axles with full circle rings that use snap ring pliers and can't be put on after the joint is in the yoke.

1649596472447.png

Are you guys that are talking about putting the snap rings in at the end, taking about the partial rings that come with a U-joint? Because revolution packages their axles with full circle rings that use snap ring pliers and can't be put on after the joint is in the yoke.

View attachment 321787
You can see the ears of the full circle style in his pics.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low