Metal cutting tools: what's really the best option?

Ever consider a waterjet or a laser, Tommy?

Your business sounds pretty cool. If I lived near you I'd be putting in a job application...
Laser is becoming more of an option now $$ wise. I built our table back in 09 when the economy was tanked and I had plenty of time on my hands.
I started out with a "dynatorch" control system. It was plagued with high dollar failures. They were using a motors that were the size of a coffee cup that were all inclusive, motor/driver/encoder. When they would fail, it was a grand to replace. My table lost 7 motors. They were never able to solve the problem. The engineering was hobby level at best.
in 2011, I bought a CandCnc system to retro fit my existing table, it was great because it supported oxy/fuel cutting with a complete interface. I needed (at the time) to be cut 2.5" plate and bevel it. Luckily, the need ceased. It was hard on the table and everything else too.

All that dialogue to say a waterjet is not used much in my industry (mining and ground engaging tools). I have briefly looked into waterjet and backed away when I noted the cost and complexity of waterjet. It is big $$! If I don't count the "dynatorch" mistake, the cost to build my table was around 40k, not counting labor, back in 2011, minimum wage was much less, so I was super cheap.

anybody use Klutch tools? I guess that's Northern Tools house brand? Makes me more comfortable than buying Harbor Freight's house brand, but I have no experience with their stuff.

They make this benchtop horizontal band saw for only a bit more than a corded Milwaukee handband....which would still require another almost $400 Portaband Pro to use it the way I'm intending.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200888098_200888098
Not sure why I'm so worried about brand anyway, my tool box is full of Black and Decker, Porter Cable, Kobalt, and Skil.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS and Irun
It looks like a an old palmgren saw I had, but it was not on a tabletop base. Palmgren was bought out not too long ago, so probably not the same today. Looks like a nice saw. The problem I have had with bandsaws is its hit and miss to get a straight cut, most likely the operator.

I have been using this as my go to lately

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Y5W9YS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Actually, mine is close or an earlier model. I know it uses a 15" wheel and my clamp has a different setup. But close, the one shown is probably a upgrade.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
came across this on Youtube...I think abrasive is the clear loser here for fixtured chop saw type cuts.

(once he cuts through the all-thread you can quit watching because then he does some stupid tests cutting wood and plastic with them)

The Evolution dry cut saw and the lubricated (wish he would have used a more entry level band saw for comparison) made very similar cut qualities but the Evolution was about 3x as fast.

came across this on Youtube...I think abrasive is the clear loser here for fixtured chop saw type cuts.

(once he cuts through the all-thread you can quit watching because then he does some stupid tests cutting wood and plastic with them)

The Evolution dry cut saw and the lubricated (wish he would have used a more entry level band saw for comparison) made very similar cut qualities but the Evolution was about 3x as fast.
We regularly use Hilti cordless 6-1/2" dry cut saws at work, they work great for cutting off erection aids and temporary hand rail brackets that get in the way of installing our work, a recip saw with a carbide blade is plan B if the access is tight, and occasionally a portaband saw but they are limited.

Erection aids?
He's talking about wood.
img_0651.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Blaine is correct a Plasma cutter is a unitasker where an oxy torch is not. You can buy a lot of accessories for a torch set for way less than a decent Plasma. And please spend the money on quality abrasives for you grinders. They are last longer (saves money in the long run) and less likely to fail compared to the cheap stuff.

That M18 reciprocating saw is an absolute beast with good blades. I would start with it and a Sawzall (mine is corded but I purchased it years ago) and buy good blades. You can do a lot of work (not just on Jeeps) with just those two before investing in more specialized tools.

I teach HS welding, so for your house projects and bearing in mind some kind of a reasonable budget max….

Here are a few and why:
Sawzall with Short Metal blade good for quick rough cuts, esp bolts.
4” grinder/Cutoff wheel ..good for quick thin cuts, reasonably accurate
Oxy/acet. Cutting torch , cutting and multi flame “rosebud” head for bending, downside is the heat and possible fire.
Milwaukee porta band, we have found that we use this over an abrasive chop saw 10:1, can be accurate if you chalk and follow cut lines

The above power tools can be found cordless although I prefer not.

Torch, doesn’t take a full journeyman setup, the small versions work fine , match the tip to the work. Downside is you have to either pony up for bottle rent monthly or buy them outright. Be very very careful what used bottles you buy…..tons of stolen ones that are actually gas company owned.

Last would be a plasma cutter unless the majority of your work is flat and easy to get to and you will need a clean/dry air compressor supply.
If you do, overbuy the size you would need 1/4, buy 3/8” rated, etc.
Stick with the big makers, hypertherm, Esab, Miller

Do not recommend:

specialized metal blade slow speed manual miter saw, have one, but too expensive for home use.
Or
Wet or dry band saw , the above porta band will do almost all the same cuts although not to the same accuracy.

I teach HS welding, so for your house projects and bearing in mind some kind of a reasonable budget max….

Here are a few and why:
Sawzall with Short Metal blade good for quick rough cuts, esp bolts.
4” grinder/Cutoff wheel ..good for quick thin cuts, reasonably accurate
Oxy/acet. Cutting torch , cutting and multi flame “rosebud” head for bending, downside is the heat and possible fire.
Milwaukee porta band, we have found that we use this over an abrasive chop saw 10:1, can be accurate if you chalk and follow cut lines

The above power tools can be found cordless although I prefer not.

Torch, doesn’t take a full journeyman setup, the small versions work fine , match the tip to the work. Downside is you have to either pony up for bottle rent monthly or buy them outright. Be very very careful what used bottles you buy…..tons of stolen ones that are actually gas company owned.

Last would be a plasma cutter unless the majority of your work is flat and easy to get to and you will need a clean/dry air compressor supply.
If you do, overbuy the size you would need 1/4, buy 3/8” rated, etc.
Stick with the big makers, hypertherm, Esab, Miller

Do not recommend:

specialized metal blade slow speed manual miter saw, have one, but too expensive for home use.
Or
Wet or dry band saw , the above porta band will do almost all the same cuts although not to the same accuracy.
Welcome aboard!! I both envy and feel sorry for you. Lol. Teaching welding has got to be an awesome job. High schoolers?? Just kidding of course.

Be prepared for some brain picking. Lots of projects on TJ’s need welding as you probably know.

I didn’t read this whole thread so.,,
My go to’s for something like axle brackets or most anything is a hole saw and cut off wheel. I have easy access to a plasma but choose anything else usually. Btw I’m pretty good with an torch