Metal jerry cans for OR-Fab tire carrier?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
The orfab tire carrier requires 2 cans with a metal lip to be held in place in the tire carrier. Normally i would prefer sceptre plastic usgi gas containers. But those dont have a lip on the bottom as far as i can tell.

So unless someone figured out how to mount sceptres on the orfab. I guess im looking for wavian usgi gas cans?

Whats the best can i can get and where?

Screenshot_20201016-134019_Chrome.jpg

I bought my jeep with the orfab modified by PO. They welded on a L bar and a metal grate to the bottom which holds up jerry cans or other stuff I have put there just fine. The bend is to clear the tailgate hinge

View attachment 196612View attachment 196613View attachment 196614View attachment 196615
That is very cool. I'm going to save those pics. If you don't mind? I wonder how much it would cost to have someone weld that up for me?

Seems way more practical. And i would really like to use the plastic usgi gas cans. They would ride on that fine.

I'm going to save those pics. If you don't mind?
Not a problem.

What was his 3rd brake light solution? Looks like a pipe clamp is involved. :) I have not researched that issue either. I'm gonna have to come up with one.
So I bought this Rampage light and was planning to cut off the bottom of L so it was straight and strap it center tube so light was over tire then realized that was precious visibility over the tire. Just luck that the back of this light has two bolts inside coming out that attach it to it's metal frame that were wider than the center tube. I got the 2inch pipe strap from home depot. Cut down a piece of rubber mat left over from another project, which is on the inside of strap to keep it tight. the bolts were not perfectly spaced apart for the strap but a bit of bending and it worked with a bit of space so the wires that came right out the middle were not crushed. For that particular light the cable was long and had standard 4 prong trailer lights connection which I already had on my jeep which was nice.

That light was pretty expensive and if i had to do over I would have just got some other cheap back up light, opened it up with a heat gun and drilled hole for the bolts to put in from the inside and sealed it with glue/silicone or something.

Anyway here is a better pic.

IMG_20200913_135058 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm looking for the wavians. Know of a good source for them?

About 10-12 miles from you in Gardena, although his website currently shows "out of stock."

Worth a phone call I think.

Expedition Exchange Incorporated​

1508H West Artesia Square, Gardena, CA 90248

Phone: (310) 817-5004

https://expeditionexchange.com/home

About 10-12 miles from you in Gardena, although his website currently shows "out of stock."

Worth a phone call I think.

Expedition Exchange Incorporated​

1508H West Artesia Square, Gardena, CA 90248

Phone: (310) 817-5004

https://expeditionexchange.com/home
Definitely worth a call. The person I spoke to on the phone (the owner I believe) a few years ago was extremely helpful.

I had purchased a Wavian can from Sierra Expeditions here in Phoenix with a CARB spout.
i was unable at the time to get a non CARB spout direct from Wavian.

Expedition Exchange used to sell a metal Wavian water can. I called the store and the owner was more than happy to confirm that the water spout was exactly the same as the gasoline spout except for color and gasket material.

This resulted in my anti CARB work around
59143D58-9C61-4693-9212-787A8B8B97AB.jpeg

Reactions: WSS
I gutted the CARB spout that came with the can so it flows freely, but most of the time I leave my Wavian can in place and use a Super Siphon to transfer fuel to the jeep.

BTW, I purchased my Wavian gas can and ProQuip (now Wavian) water can from Expedition Exchange.

Reactions: WSS