Metalcloak build up 2002 TJ

TJDon

TJ Enthusiast
As some of you might remember, back in December I entered a Metalcloak 5k parts giveaway and won. Weeks went by trying to decide long arm or short arm and opinions were all over the place on what to go with and why. I finally decided what I wanted with what I do with the Jeep a majority of the time. Decided to go short arm because.....
  1. I still want to fit in my garage
  2. when I am out wheelin/back country exploring. I’ll have my RTT on and still want to be able to reach it from the ground
  3. when I do rock crawl, it’ll do just fine
  4. their long arm kits start at 4.5” lift and I don’t plan on going to 37’s anytime soon. My 35’s would look lost in the wheel wells

So the laundry list of items....
3.5” short arm rock sport edition
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-tj-lj-w...ort-arm-suspension-3-5-rocksport-edition.html

1. front Overline fenders 4” flair
    full rear corner guards and 4” flair
    gas tank skid
    oil pan skid
    steering box skid
    steering stabilizer kit
    front bumper light bar bracket
And couple other misc things

I plan on taking lots of pics throughout the build and excited to get it going.

Huge thanks to Metalcloak.
bc1d9c4edf823013d8dbef5fcd7b3226.jpg
b1ea30bab20e0966d2a10e490b5cff7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really looking forward to seeing this come together. Metalcloak 3.5” Short arm lift and 35” tires is one ofthe directions I am considering going.

Reactions: TJDon
Slowly making the pile of parts smaller

47efeeef9502b515ca8d1a2dfca1adc7.jpg
90a4e2a6bff75c4aad8bba8c5a64c9b7.jpg
d36329bcd5cb4f43cd96c2cbe7ebaa30.jpg
683b1a897008528c52efa031dfb38a63.jpg

Rear suspension all installed and tightened up
Front suspension mostly together. Gotta buy a 5/8’s still bit for the frame side track bar
Get it back on its wheels then turn it around in the garage and install the passenger side fenders (so I can still see the tv [emoji23])
Then tackle the skid plates

Your jeep is starting to look very familiar to me :p. Did you get the mod fit rear fenders or the ones that require no cutting?

It's looking really good. Was the oem driver side fender a pita to get out for you also? I felt like the passenger side was easy.

Your jeep is starting to look very familiar to me :p. Did you get the mod fit rear fenders or the ones that require no cutting?

It's looking really good. Was the oem driver side fender a pita to get out for you also? I felt like the passenger side was easy.

f5694d6fce46b4ccc872f0b0459b2268.jpg
4f239de44dbf6d7c2382ffa94868ac84.jpg
i did cut the little bit off the back.
And pulling the fender was pretty easy. So far everything has gone really smooth and easy with simple garage tools.
I did have to buy a 5/8’s drill bit for the frame side track bar.

Got front and rear suspension done for the most part. Still have to replace front brake lines and replace LCA bolts at the diff.

I measured the height of the Jeep before I did anything. I’m curious once I drive it and get things settled in what the height difference will be from the old procomp 4” lift that was on it to the Metalcloak 3.5”
My 35’s are starting to look a little lost in the wheel wells now. 37’s would be sweet and I have the gears already done. Hmmmmm???
53b820e9653eed31d0ef68854a7bb45c.jpg
d1f0a42cc274f538c51fe7e0630997c0.jpg

Now to turn her around and replace the other fenders.
03cc537f5660c89877cf716a464a3fea.jpg

Got front and rear suspension done for the most part. Still have to replace front brake lines and replace LCA bolts at the diff.

I measured the height of the Jeep before I did anything. I’m curious once I drive it and get things settled in what the height difference will be from the old procomp 4” lift that was on it to the Metalcloak 3.5”
My 35’s are starting to look a little lost in the wheel wells now. 37’s would be sweet and I have the gears already done. Hmmmmm???
View attachment 77275View attachment 77276
Now to turn her around and replace the other fenders.
View attachment 77277

Amazing! This is good to see for my build. I'm headed in the same direction. I only have 33s, will definitely need to get on 35s once I get MC fenders.

Looking good

Reactions: TJDon
Once you have the other side installed, please take a photo from the front. I'd like to see how the 4" flares look. I think the 6" flares are just too much.

I will for sure. The coverage is probably gonna be even less than what the stock flare has. I hated how I was flinging mud before. Now I’ll have to take bypasses [emoji23] to avoid mud. [emoji23][emoji23]

I’m with you on the 6” wide ones, I’m just not a fan of a wide flat fender. Looks like you could serve drinks off them

Reactions: b0xcar
I don’t think the 35’s are getting lost, they look good as is.

Thanks for posting a pic of what the mod-cut looks like. If I ever went to 35s it may be the MC route since I only have 2.5” SL & 1.25BL and would need to trim that area. I’m weird about MC fenders, I like the fronts but it is the rear fender I’m not a huge fan of. Jeep looks good.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft