Metalcloak Duroflex control arms?

Bird

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Was wondering if anyone has used these control arms, interesting concept.

Going to replace all my lower control arms and keep coming back to these.

For the money I’d rather have Johnny Joints. Tried, tested, last just about forever, and have excellent on-road and off-road manners.

While I have no actual experience with the Metalcloak joints, I have heard that the marketing behind them (namely the video that shows how they work) is nothing but marketing b.s.

Reactions: Bird
I'm a believer in the Johnny Joint used on Savvy and Currie control arms. Mine are still in excellent tight condition after 12 years.

Haven’t had to rebuild them once even in 12 years? Damn... if that isn’t a testament to durability, I don’t know what is!

Hmmm, maybe i should stick with something proven over time.
New innovation sometimes draws me in.

Thankyou.

Was wondering if anyone has used these control arms, interesting concept.

Going to replace all my lower control arms and keep coming back to these.
I have their 3.5" suspension lift on my Jeep. It's been wheeled a couple times and I'm very impressed with it. The ride is great on and off road. We have tour guides at our local ORV park that run tours every weekend. They run nothing but Metalcloak suspension. Still running the same joints 7 years strong. I'm willing to bet you can't go wrong if you decide to make the purchase.

Just finished up my MetalCloak install as well. I over research just about ever part that goes into my Jeep and MCs lift was always mentioned along with Currie/Savvy. Hoping to get a chance to get off-road this weekend to see the difference off-road.
dcfec46dfb69aab6101091e32b460aae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I use Metalcloak control arms.

My opinion is that the average Joe (I'm included in that category) won't notice the difference between a Johnny Joint and a Duroflex joint.

If I was looking today, I would probably buy the one that I could get the best deal on.

I personally know of cases where a DF bushing has failed because it can't (by the very nature of it's design) handle constant misalignment the way a JJ can.

For an evolved bushing, the Duroflex seems to do a good job. There just isn't anything there that makes me think it does anything better than a Johnny Joint. When the costs are so close between the two, I don't see a reason to compromise. Johnny Joints are far more versatile and robust.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: M35A2 and Chris
For an evolved bushing, the Duroflex seems to do a good job. There just isn't anything there that makes me think it does anything better than a Johnny Joint. When the costs are so close between the two, I don't see a reason to compromise. Johnny Joints are far more versatile and robust.

2003 Rubicon

This was my thought as well. I hate to talk down on a joint I’ve never personally tried (I am not meaning to talk down on it though), but I just can’t see anything it does better than a Johnny Joint, which is why I see no reason to switch.

Innovation and competition keeps all these companies designing the best products they can. In all my research into the Duroflex joint I found one thread on maybe Jeepforum where a DF had failed, and was promptly replaced by MetalCloak. They seem to stand behind their product, and if a fault is found, correct it promptly. Again my experience here is from numerous forums and FB groups. They've been around now since '09 and doing suspension parts since 2010, so hardly the new guy on the block. Not trying to come off as a fanboy here, since I have limited Jeeping time with their product. I could have easily gone with Curries solution and been just as happy. I have Curries Correctlync on my LJ now and its a stout and well built piece. I just don't understand where all the dislike of MC comes from here?

and to echo what Serbonz said above, totally an average Jeeping Joe here. One that loves researching Jeep stuff to death.

I was planning on getting new control arms to replace my X-flex R.C. arms. I don't know that I really need to as I haven't had any issue with them, but it is on the list. I was pretty set on Savvy arms or Currie arms, but I just watched Metalcloakd videos on the joints and I have to say they are impressive. I question the durability though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If I have an issue with Metalcloak, it's their often wildly exaggerated marketing claims. The magnitude of the clearance gains from their fenders are flat out misleading, to the point of dishonesty. Their demonstrations of a perceivable reduced NVH from their bushings is laughable when you understand how misleading those line graphs are. I know first hand how the heim joint of their track bar is a compromise between increased clearance, reduced cost and shortened longevity. They can send me all the free replacement heims they want, but that still doesn't fix the compromise.

I don't need to run their products to have an informed opinion of how things work. I have enough of a mechanical intuition to not fall too easily for the hype — from anyone. Metalcloak is only a "game changer" if you allow them to write the rules (do the thinking) for you.

Certain things are what they are. Neither necessarily good nor bad. Just be honest about what it is.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I have their 3.5" suspension lift on my Jeep. It's been wheeled a couple times and I'm very impressed with it. The ride is great on and off road. We have tour guides at our local ORV park that run tours every weekend. They run nothing but Metalcloak suspension. Still running the same joints 7 years strong. I'm willing to bet you can't go wrong if you decide to make the purchase.
The MC joint hasn't been around 7 years.

I was recently researching ca's and can say, you won't find much negativity on the mc arms. Most of the negativity is from those that have no actual experience, as is usually the case.
This is one of the times when folks should be on facebook. MC posted up some bullshit about Gerald requiring Katy to remove her MC kit and install a Savvy kit and sell off the MC stuff in order to be able to answer the phone for Savvy. It went back and forth a bit and finally Gerald (who typically won't say shit even if he had a mouthful) posted up all the pictures of the failed joints on rigs that have come through the Savvy shop to shut them up. He'd been saving them along time and had quite a few.

Anyone that knows Gerald even a tiny bit knows two things, you have to really be laying down some bullshit to get a rise out of him and he simply does not give a shit what you do with your rig, your money or your stuff and at no point in time is any of it a requirement to be associated with Savvy.

Reactions: Rob5589 and Chris