Metalcloak slimcrawler rear bumper

not a lot of love for the 'cloak on this forum so your replies may be few

It's a copy of another companies bumper (I can't remember who). Minus the good parts per @jjvw
Someone will be along to provide a link the the initial product.

They left off the important parts on the bottom if they really wanted to make a rock crawler bumper.
Pretty big omission.

Screenshot_20220323-064129.png

• Wow
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Bigmac and tworley
It's a copy of another companies bumper (I can't remember who). Minus the good parts per @jjvw
Its kind of a copy of a bunch of different ones. NV fab, Barnes, Fishbone, Swag Offroad all make a similar bumper plate. But, like @rasband said...its missing the bolts at the bottom. Those are important to prevent the plate from pulling away from the crossmember.

It's barely a copy of SWAG and Next Venture. It's closer to Genright and Barnes, except they manage to make it even worse.

They left off the important parts on the bottom if they really wanted to make a rock crawler bumper.
Its purely cosmetic for me. I don’t do any serious off reading. I only want a non-spare tire bumper so that I can put stuff in the back without the pain in the ass of having to swing the spare away. I also would like to have one without a receiver for a hitch. That really limits my choices. I kind of like the Fishbone one with the step also.

https://www.fishboneoffroad.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=126

Its purely cosmetic for me. I don’t do any serious off reading. I only want a non-spare tire bumper so that I can put stuff in the back without the pain in the ass of having to swing the spare away. I also would like to have one without a receiver for a hitch. That really limits my choices. ....
If that's the case, then anything that doesn't get in the way of you will work.

Its purely cosmetic for me. I don’t do any serious off reading. I only want a non-spare tire bumper so that I can put stuff in the back without the pain in the ass of having to swing the spare away. I also would like to have one without a receiver for a hitch. That really limits my choices. I kind of like the Fishbone one with the step also.

https://www.fishboneoffroad.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=126

A couple years ago I was (accidentally?) lucky enough to get maybe the first one ever. I wish I remembered what they referred to it as and exactly why but it had been installed on at least one Jeep, maybe to verify that it was made to spec and fit right.

Because it was "used" they couldn't sell it at the roughly $275 price at the time. At $120 I figured I couldn't go wrong so I bought it.

When I picked it up I was disappointed to find out that not much of anything is built by them and their building is pretty much a warehouse for their products made in china.

I'm also amazed at the huge chunks of black textured powder coat that is peeling off. There are a couple different chunks that are probably 2 or 3 square inches each. I'm not sure if that is how the current ones will end up but you never know china.

Wouldn't the frame tie in bracket that is included fix this issue? Or am I mistaken?

If you aren't dragging the bumper, is won't matter that Metalcloak can't design a decent bumper, especially with the lip hanging down along the bottom.

Several of us and the minimal bumper plates and raised rear frames and we are still dragging the bumper.

Reactions: rasband
Wow! What a crappy design! Pretty obvious who ever designed that doesn’t spend much time actually wheeling.

I’d have that thing pancaked in no time. That bottom lip is going backwards in so many ways!