Metallica St. Anger Album

P man

Keister Bunny
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I read an article today and it listed St. Anger by Metallica as one of the worst metal albums of all time. I was astonished to say the least. I agree it isn't mind blowing but I absolutely love Lar's snare and the whole record kicks ass IMHO. What say you? Yay or nay?

The snare was kinda shocking, but I grew to not completely hate it. It did give it an unpolished, garage band kinda feel that I felt had been lost around 1990.

It's been ages since I listened to it, but wasn't that one completely devoid of guitar solos? That's just wrooong.

I thought Death Magnetic was better.

I like James vocal's best when they were doubled like in the 80s. It had a largeness to it, and that same raw feel that I like. Most of his vocals since the black album sounds too finely produced, too clean, too clear. Like he's singing directly into my ear instead of into an arena show.

Overall St Anger is probably the worst Metallica record but it's still better than most metal. Metallica's worst day is better than 5 Finger Death Punch's best.

Last edited:
The snare was kinda shocking, but I grew to not completely hate it. It did give it an unpolished, garage band kinda feel that I felt had been lost around 1990.

It's been ages since I listened to it, but wasn't that one completely devoid of guitar solos? That's just wrooong.

I thought Death Magnetic was better.

I like James vocal's best when they were doubled like in the 80s. It had a largeness to it, and that same raw feel that I like. Most of his vocals since the black album sounds too finely produced, too clean, too clear. Like he's singing directly into my ear instead of into an arena show.

Overall St Anger is probably the worst Metallica record but it's still better than most metal. Metallica's worst day is better than 5 Finger Death Punch's best.

I believe you are correct no guitar solos in this one...that fucking snare though is music to my ears. I saw a comment saying someone should watch "some kind of monster" before they judge the record. The band was a complete train wreck and just starting to rebuild and the doc showed alot of what was happening.

I personally like James' vocals in St Anger they are growly and his lyrics seem to be very heartfelt.

Reactions: RINC
Snare sounds, to me like a steel drum. Or something to that affect.

I honestly have to fully listen to that record. When it came out, back when I was a much younger man, I hated the single and couldn't be bothered. But that's just being young and comfortably dumb. ;)

Reactions: P man
Wouldn't say its anywhere close to a worst of all time. Link to the list?

I like the album. Not my favorite or least favorite. It is what it is. But I like it more and understand the issues with it after watching the documentary.

I believe you are correct no guitar solos in this one...that fucking snare though is music to my ears. I saw a comment saying someone should watch "some kind of monster" before they judge the record. The band was a complete train wreck and just starting to rebuild and the doc showed alot of what was happening.

I personally like James' vocals in St Anger they are growly and his lyrics seem to be very heartfelt.

The record did grow on me after watching the documentary. They were a mess. Realistically it's shocking they didn't break up.

I think Death Magnetic and Hardwired both sound better than St Anger purely from a production and style standpoint. Not sure how I would rank them on overall songwriting. Not much of it has really felt inspired and resonated with me the way their old stuff did. Most Metallica fans would want to slap me for saying this, but I even enjoy some of the stuff on Load and Reload more than I have anything since. My favorites will always be Justice and Puppets though.

Reactions: P man
I grew away from the band after Cliff passed away. Was not a fan of Jason from being local to him playing with Flotsom.

Jason is an interesting dude from what I know..he wanted to do other projects besides Metallica and James had a problem with it...so he basically went from Metallica to playing small venues and being relatively unknown

Best Metallica album cover

1659659737151.jpeg

I haven't really listened to Metallica since Master of Puppets. But I've stolen every single one of their albums just for fun. If i had to label myself I'm more Megadeth than Metallica anyway...