T-Shirts

Order your offical Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum t-shirt today!

Click here to order!

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum T-Shirts

Mickey Thompson tires don't measure a true 35 inches

OP
Moglocker

Moglocker

TJ Enthusiast
Yep. For speedometer purposes this should be the right. For fender/body clearance too. I feel your frustration though. I don’t get why tire mfgs don’t build tires to the specs on the sidewalls (a 35” diameter tire seems like it should measure 35” in diameter flat on the ground when mounted on a rim).
How to measure a fitted tire horizontally:
Buy some 1 1/2" by 1/8th" flat bar, weld up 2 flat 90 degree right angles like a square but x 2 then add a middle adjustment lock/hold bracket , lock new tire measuring devise between front and back of tire horizontally roughly in the centre and then measure inside to inside of your new handy work lol :)

Or get 2 midgets to hold a square each against your tires and then measure the inside> < Lol
This forum has taught me so much.I made the two aluminum square tube toe adjustment tool that you clamp to your rotors with the two tape measures,(works awesome)I could use that to measure a tire probably,

Last edited:

Plumber1

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Yes. Back when I was in pipe manufacturing we had Pi-tapes. Precise to .001 and easy to use. Also compensates for out-of-roundness.

I never saw a PI tape we use OD tape's but I guess they are the same thing

Last edited:

Plumber1

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
How to measure a fitted tire horizontally:
Buy some 1 1/2" by 1/8th" flat bar, weld up 2 flat 90 degree right angles like a square but x 2 then add a middle adjustment lock/hold bracket , lock new tire measuring devise between front and back of tire horizontally roughly in the centre and then measure inside to inside of your new handy work lol :)

Or get 2 midgets to hold a square each against your tires and then measure the inside> < Lol
I think it would be easier just remove the tire from jeep or jack it up till you get the weight off of it and then measure it

jjvw

Team Cancel
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What do we do with this knowledge that the stated tire size varies by fractions of an inch?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Not again.
notthisshitagain.jpg

WallyWest

TJ Addict
I'm more OCD than most and I don't understand this at all. Being super anal about the measurement of a rubber thing that flexes? Ok.

The specs are always 1/2 inch shy of the rating, then you put a load on it and OMG they ripped me off!!!! LoL, find something else to obsess over, this ain't worth it.

• Love
Reactions: TWiG01 and Zorba
OP
Moglocker

Moglocker

TJ Enthusiast
I'm more OCD than most and I don't understand this at all. Being super anal about the measurement of a rubber thing that flexes? Ok.

The specs are always 1/2 inch shy of the rating, then you put a load on it and OMG they ripped me off!!!! LoL, find something else to obsess over, this ain't worth it.
Not obsessed at all,started the post yesterday as kind of a joke,I had it titled (Mickey you have some splaining to do)by the time I got to my family in tenn the title to the post changed (don’t know how that happened)didn’t mean for it to go viral-jus trying to stay positive,it’s kinda awkward this year with dad and the family,first thanksgiving without mom🥲