Mickey Thompson tires don't measure a true 35 inches

I’m sure if I took the the weight off I could muster up 34,but I got a deal on these tires,just would like to get a more truer to size 35,but they are really great in mud.
Is there something wrong with your tape measure where it ceases to function horizontally?

You won't get a "true" to size tire on there that will ever give you the loaded height that matches the numbers on the sidewalls, never.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
Is there something wrong with your tape measure where it ceases to function horizontally?
He isn't using a tape measure, he's using an "App" on a smartphone. Everybody knows smartphones only work vertically (as evidenced in the ROTM thread each month!)! :D ;) :ROFLMAO:

I’m sure if I took the the weight off I could muster up 34,but I got a deal on these tires,just would like to get a more truer to size 35,but they are really great in mud.
If you got a good deal on it and you're happy with it because it gets the job done and leaves a smile on your face, then does size really matter? Asking for a friend...

If you want the true effective diameter, measure from a good flat paved surface to the exact center of the hub, and multiply X2 - at whatever tire pressure you normally run.
Might want to add that effective diameter is what you want when using a gear calculator like Grimmjeeper.

Reactions: Zorba and jjvw
If you got a good deal on it and you're happy with it because it gets the job done and leaves a smile on your face, then does size really matter? Asking for a friend...
Hey so I’m building this tj for my wife,(hence the brbs-tj plate) I guess Mickey owes my wife an inch and a half 😂😂😂😂

You won't get a "true" to size tire on there that will ever give you the loaded height that matches the numbers on the sidewalls, never.
I did it before left the house,in tenn now I’ll measure the tire off the Jeep,I bet it’s 34ish,I sure with they didn’t stop the mtr,looks like a true to size tire,and they are supposed to be good on the rocks,out west will be the first place we’re heading when we retire soon!

• Face Palm
Reactions: deadbeat son
I did it before left the house,in tenn now I’ll measure the tire off the Jeep,I bet it’s 34ish,I sure with they didn’t stop the mtr,looks like a true to size tire,and they are supposed to be good on the rocks,out west will be the first place we’re heading when we retire soon!
You're not listening. It is not possible to put on any tire and have the loaded height match the sidewall numbers. That is not how it works, at all.

For actual sizes....

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
mt tirtes.jpg

You're not listening. It is not possible to put on any tire and have the loaded height match the sidewall numbers. That is not how it works, at all.
I get it Blaine,when I get home I’ll measure the spare on the back.a lot of 35s mount up larger then these,just thinking aloud,no biggie,these are really great in mo mud,they are just really on the smaller 35 side,they won’t last forever being drug behind a motor home,then it will be time for something else,I’m definitely getting beadlocks ,trying to decide what to put on them.I could even sell these,who knows -what is your tire of choice?thanks-jeff

Last edited:
Stop being a dumbass and measure it horizontally.
Yep. For speedometer purposes this should be the right. For fender/body clearance too. I feel your frustration though. I don’t get why tire mfgs don’t build tires to the specs on the sidewalls (a 35” diameter tire seems like it should measure 35” in diameter flat on the ground when mounted on a rim).

How to measure a fitted tire horizontally:
Buy some 1 1/2" by 1/8th" flat bar, weld up 2 flat 90 degree right angles like a square but x 2 then add a middle adjustment lock/hold bracket , lock new tire measuring devise between front and back of tire horizontally roughly in the centre and then measure inside to inside of your new handy work lol :)

Or get 2 midgets to hold a square each against your tires and then measure the inside> < Lol