Micrometer

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I need a good recommendation for a micrometer. This is mainly for my re-gear, measuring shims, etc...I’m looking for something decently priced. I’m not going into business. :) I’m looking @Rob5589, @Jerry Bransford, @bobthetj03, @Squatch, and at anyone else who has done a regear or knows lots about micrometers....:polutxoso:

I've got mitutoyo micrometers that read to .0001 vernier scale. Prefer non digital. But do like my digital calipers. (But I'm just a farmer!)

Reactions: Squatch
I've got mitutoyo micrometers that read to .0001 vernier scale. Prefer non digital. But do like my digital calipers. (But I'm just a farmer!)
I’d have to borrow calipers that nice. Wanna learn to re-gear?

I dint say I needed them that accurate...just that they are!:)
Just send them to me priority, I’ll use the accuracy they were built for, then send them back! :)

Do you want a micrometer or a caliper?
Heck, I thought they were the same thing. What I need is a device that will measure shim stacks. The ones I’ve seen have a caliper and a digital readout measuring to the 0.001. That’s what I need

My first inclination was to say Starrett, but then you said you're not going into business. ;) I don't really know, @JMT. The place I work uses Mitutoyo everywhere except in the machine shop, where Starrett is the go-to brand. I'd feel comfortable with using them, or maybe take a look at Fowler.

Reactions: JMT
I bought the iGaging calipers in the link above after my Fowlers hit the floor. They've held up damn well.

Reactions: JMT
I like the Vernier scale calipers. We have some 24" ones. My personal ones are the dial calipers (had 'em for 34+ years), but folks at work like the digital ones because they're "easier to figure out"......

Reactions: KCsTJ
One thing I learned about measuring shims is that you can’t just put a caliper on them and read the display, you need to press the shims together to actually know what the measurement will be when being pressed by the carrier. So, I was just thinking, I wonder if something like this would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5HFMBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Most any decent brand is fine for regearing. The main thing is they are consistant and repeatable. If it's off by a thousandth or two won't matter as long as it's always off by that.

Measure the shims individually and add them up for thickness, don't stack and measure, that's hard to be consistant that way.

One thing I learned about measuring shims is that you can’t just put a caliper on them and read the display, you need to press the shims together to actually know what the measurement will be when being pressed by the carrier. So, I was just thinking, I wonder if something like this would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5HFMBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The thimble on the end is either friction or ratchet to have a precise force applied when measuring. (not a C clamp!) you'll get more consistent measures with the micrometer vs a caliper. Is it necessary? probably not for your application. Just measure with nearly close to the same force with the caliper each time you check a stack of shims.

Also you'll find plenty of uses for the caliper elsewhere.

Reactions: Squatch