Mid-arm rear brake line

TjSteve0305

Supporting Member
I’m getting everything ready for my TJ Savvy Mid arm install and the only thing I’m having trouble with is finding a rear brake line.

I plan on securing the hard line to the drivers upper control arm mount. With the rear upper arm install length being 30.5” it seems I should source a rear hose around 34”. That is if I’m keeping the hose secured to the arm the whole way back. I cannot find one that long.

I have a hydraulic flare tool so reworking the hard lines for a clean install is no problem. Anyone have pictures of how they did it or links to parts?

Thanks!

I’m getting everything ready for my TJ Savvy Mid arm install and the only thing I’m having trouble with is finding a rear brake line.

I plan on securing the hard line to the drivers upper control arm mount. With the rear upper arm install length being 30.5” it seems I should source a rear hose around 34”. That is if I’m keeping the hose secured to the arm the whole way back. I cannot find one that long.

I have a hydraulic flare tool so reworking the hard lines for a clean install is no problem. Anyone have pictures of how they did it or links to parts?

Thanks!
The easy way to do it is convert at the upper mount with a 3/16" (3/8-24) inverted flare x -3 male adapter.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-13124

Run down the upper arm with a 34" -3 female swivel x -3 female swivel SS braided line to a -3 male x inverted flare block.

The tee looks like this but this isn't the right one since it is oddball.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-972051berl

I use these lines.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...tch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=-3 brake hose

I build hard lines over to the caliper flex hoses.

Reactions: TjSteve0305
The easy way to do it is convert at the upper mount with a 3/16" (3/8-24) inverted flare x -3 male adapter.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-13124

Run down the upper arm with a 34" -3 female swivel x -3 female swivel SS braided line to a -3 male x inverted flare block.

The tee looks like this but this isn't the right one since it is oddball.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-972051berl

I use these lines.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/brake-hoses-individual/hose-end-1/minus-3-an/hose-end-2/minus-3-an/length-in/34-000-in?N=part-type:brake-hoses-individual+hose-end-1:minus-3-an+hose-end-2:minus-3-an+length-in:34-000-in&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=-3 brake hose

I build hard lines over to the caliper flex hoses.

That will work perfect, thank you sir!

That will work perfect, thank you sir!
If you are handy, you can silver braze a -3 male onto the stand pipe portion of the OEM line and use the Savvy offset mount to mount it on the breather fitting. Bit of torch work and you can orient it to point right up the arm.

If you are handy, you can silver braze a -3 male onto the stand pipe portion of the OEM line and use the Savvy offset mount to mount it on the breather fitting. Bit of torch work and you can orient it to point right up the arm.

I like the idea of clean new hard lines, I’m going with your first suggestion. I’m great with mig & tig but I don’t quite trust my life with my brazing skills. 🤔

I like the idea of clean new hard lines, I’m going with your first suggestion. I’m great with mig & tig but I don’t quite trust my life with my brazing skills. 🤔
Silver brazing is more like silver soldering. With the right stuff, a high temp paste flux and 45-50% silver solder, you put some flux on it, heat it evenly until the flux just starts to turn clear and get the solder in there. It will melt and flow into the gap, add a small bit more, it will fillet up, remove the heat and let it cool.

Works very well but appearance suffers due to the heat burning off the zinc plating.

I bought all custom length Fragola brake lines from Race Part Solutions. They were able to hook me up with the exact length I needed when I redid my fronts and they arrived in less than a week. I should have bought all my fitting through them as well but I didn't plan that far out and had to go down to Summit Racing to pick them up.

My tips are to get some rubber tubing and plan you lines out with that. Once you have them all mocked up take them off and measure.

Silver brazing is more like silver soldering. With the right stuff, a high temp paste flux and 45-50% silver solder, you put some flux on it, heat it evenly until the flux just starts to turn clear and get the solder in there. It will melt and flow into the gap, add a small bit more, it will fillet up, remove the heat and let it cool.

Works very well but appearance suffers due to the heat burning off the zinc plating.

Sounds pretty straight forward. I’ve done some brazing in the past, and also build racing drones which requires a lot of soldering. I’m just not practiced enough to trust it.

Sounds pretty straight forward. I’ve done some brazing in the past, and also build racing drones which requires a lot of soldering. I’m just not practiced enough to trust it.
It works very well. I use it often to make custom high pressure steering fittings when I need something odd ball. PSC uses it on older steering gears to solder in the hydro assist ports.

Followed Blaine's guidance mostly on this. Got everything from summit. After the OEM fitting changed to -6AN.

IMG_20200607_205405.jpg

IMG_20200607_205429.jpg

IMG_20200610_193654.jpg

I bought all custom length Fragola brake lines from Race Part Solutions. They were able to hook me up with the exact length I needed when I redid my fronts and they arrived in less than a week. I should have bought all my fitting through them as well but I didn't plan that far out and had to go down to Summit Racing to pick them up.

My tips are to get some rubber tubing and plan you lines out with that. Once you have them all mocked up take them off and measure.
I did the bending and flaring in place. I had a bit of circuitous routing since flipped the caliper to front. Garauntee I would've screwed it up if I did the bending on the bench.

I did the bending and flaring in place. I had a bit of circuitous routing since flipped the caliper to front. Garauntee I would've screwed it up if I did the bending on the bench.

I should have been more clear. I used the rubber tubing to mock up the flex lines to see what lengths I would need and how they would bend into place while coming on/off the arms.

I should have been more clear. I used the rubber tubing to mock up the flex lines to see what lengths I would need and how they would bend into place while coming on/off the arms.
Ohhh yes, that's a good and fine method.