Mid-range fuel tank skid options

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Looking to replace the OE fuel tank skid with something a bit better. No hard wheeling here, it’s my DD. The OE is starting to rust on one corner and should be replaced but I don’t need the HD armor that is the top name options. And while I can just replace it with an OE style, that wouldn’t be fun.

Trying to find a middle ground.. and save some money for other projects. Would love something that doesn’t have to be finished too….

I had my eye on the Motobilt skid and Barnes/SevenSlot Customs.. but wouldn’t mind spending a few dollars less.

Also, what else should I attend to ‘while I’m in there’ ?? Gas tank mod? Preventative change of the fuel pump?

The old steel vs aluminum debate...I welded my rust holes up on my 97 with some 11 gauge while I save up for an aluminum skid... less weight equals better gas mileage...I might get 13.8 instead of 13.6.

Check for rotted vent hoses.

I swapped my pressure regulator and replaced a Bosch with a Bosch. New Bosch lasted two weeks and died. Could replace the fuel strainers but if it's working don't mess with it... although taking it apart would tell you what fuel pump you have. I got super confused because my lower fuel strainer was flat missing.

-Mac

Reactions: MikekiM
The old steel vs aluminum debate...I welded my rust holes up on my 97 with some 11 gauge while I save up for an aluminum skid... less weight equals better gas mileage...I might get 13.8 instead of 13.6.

Check for rotted vent hoses.

I swapped my pressure regulator and replaced a Bosch with a Bosch. New Bosch lasted two weeks and died. Could replace the fuel strainers but if it's working don't mess with it... although taking it apart would tell you what fuel pump you have. I got super confused because my lower fuel strainer was flat missing.

-Mac
Aluminum would be nice. I'll take a few extra mpgs any way I can get them. UCF would be one option but it's crazy expensive

Aluminum would be nice. I'll take a few extra mpgs any way I can get them. UCF would be one option but it's crazy expensive

Makes me want to TIG my own...but then I look at the high cost of aluminum and...

And that would be tenths of a mpg not mpgs.

Makes me wonder if anyone has or could do a weight to mpg chart. Hard part about that is speedos are all over the place for folks. But then if we knew tire size and tooth count we could calculate a correction factor...hmm...

-Mac

TJs initially came out with a light steel support for the gas tank that was not much of a skidplate, then Jeep started including a heavier/thicker gauge steel for later models. I don't know exactly when that happened but 2001 kinda rings a bell. You have a 2000 TJ which I'm pretty sure uses the thin sheet metal design. I'd check out sources of used Jeep parts and look for a used skidplate from a 2001 or newer. Or the year the heavier skidplate started if someone knows for sure when that was.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Consider the Genright 24 gallon gas tank. Not only does it come with a steel or aluminum skid plate, it gives you an extra 80 or so miles of range. Certainly not the cheapest option, but you get a lot more utility from it as well.

Consider the Genright 24 gallon gas tank. Not only does it come with a steel or aluminum skid plate, it gives you an extra 80 or so miles of range. Certainly not the cheapest option, but you get a lot more utility from it as well.

That’s sounds like a win. I’ll check it out. I do wish I could carry a few more gallons

Reactions: Steel City 06
Don't count on an aluminum GTS being lighter. My 2005 OEM skid came out at 27 lbs. My Savvy skid went in at 32 lbs. Lighter material, thicker/stronger build. So yes, you may get a very slight change in gas mileage, but not the way you want.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Don't count on an aluminum GTS being lighter. My 2005 OEM skid came out at 27 lbs. My Savvy skid went in at 32 lbs. Lighter material, thicker/stronger build. So yes, you may get a very slight change in gas mileage, but not the way you want.

Add to that the GenRight aluminum skid is not 6061t6 aluminum, nor is it fabricated in a way that is appropriate for an aluminum gas tank skid. Though, if it will never be dragged or landed on it doesn't matter as much.

The specific year doesn't really matter because it isn't confusing as to which skid is which.

Early TJ with open sides
tj-tank.jpg

Late TJ enclosed sides
Screenshot_20230604_173658_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
They're both better than the one I had on my '74 CJ5. It had a dense foam pad between the steel skid and the steel gas tank. Holding a wet pad against your gas tank for years was a really dumb thing. It took 9 years for the two Jeeps I messed with to start leaking gas, within a month of each other.