Arkansas Mid-South (TN, AR, AL, LA, MS, MO, KY, TX, OK) Get Together Oct 22-24 at HSORV

I edited title to make it Arkansas (in lieu of TN) since it will be at Hot Springs and I added a link to the other Regional TJ Fest thread.

Would love to be able to come over Thurs night and wheel friday as well, but will have to see how school goes for my son when it starts back up in the fall. If they are back full time (which I hope) then I won't be able to head that way until Friday after he gets out of school.

Reactions: Tob
Interested in attending
At Hot Springs AR
Date set
Primitive camping or better
Level 1-3
Driving from SE Texas

Definitely excited for this one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob and gasiorv
The bridge on i40 may continue to be down as it’s currently broke. Driving all the way around is unworkable for me.
I live in Memphis and have been to Arkansas the last few weekends and will be heading there again this Saturday and the I40 bridge being closed only adds about 20 minutes total each way. Just shoot down I-240 and cross at the I-55 bridge. There is traffic heading from Arkansas into Memphis in the mornings during the week (people heading to work) and outbound in the afternoon with people heading home, but other than that it has really been a non-issue. I am typically heading to Arkansas Friday morning and home Sunday afternoon and there is no traffic, it surprisingly it has been a non-issue.

I live in Memphis and have been to Arkansas the last few weekends and will be heading there again this Saturday and the I40 bridge being closed only adds about 20 minutes total each way. Just shoot down I-240 and cross at the I-55 bridge. There is traffic heading from Arkansas into Memphis in the mornings during the week (people heading to work) and outbound in the afternoon with people heading home, but other than that it has really been a non-issue. I am typically heading to Arkansas Friday morning and home Sunday afternoon and there is no traffic, it surprisingly it has been a non-issue.
Thanks. People in Nashville are acting like west of the Mississippi now requires a plane.

I’m interested in the Hot Springs trip.
Level 1-3
Lodging would likely be renting hotel/house. Coming from NEA.

Contingent on few things such as work and kids for that weekend.
Few of my local friends and myself are planning an October 9-10 trip to either hot springs or Oark, AR area again ( Oark in the lead currently) but I will put this on the list of possibilities if things don’t work out for the 9th. I’d love to go on both trips but $$$.
Thanks for posting. Hope it works out.

Here is a quick teaser of Shaffner's Hollow at Hot Springs taken this past Saturday. I just got go pro so I have been experimenting and had the camera pointing backwards and got a good bit of this green LJ which was doing really good for being open front and rear.

Green LJ on Shaffner's Hollow

I have another video of more trails that we ran but one of the songs playing on the radio got flagged for copyright so I have to go back and remove the audio from that section.

Here is the other video. Where there is no sound is where I had to remove the audio since the song playing on the radio in the Jeep was flagged for copyright.
HSORV May 29, 2021
I enjoyed the videos. I’ve watched a number of others of the same park on YouTube. It looks like you frequent there. Just out of curiosity, what takes you to that park when you have others within reasonable driving distance as well? (Hawks pride, Stoney lonesome, winrock). I’d like to try them all. ;)

I enjoyed the videos. I’ve watched a number of others of the same park on YouTube. It looks like you frequent there. Just out of curiosity, what takes you to that park when you have others within reasonable driving distance as well? (Hawks pride, Stoney lonesome, winrock). I’d like to try them all. ;)
Hawk Pride is the closest park to me and I hit it a few times a year. I also go to Hot Springs a few times a year. Big difference between Hot Springs and Hawk Pride is that Hot Springs is more rock and is better in any weather. The actual trails (which are rock) at Hawk Pride are always good, but the access roads turn into a muddy mess if it rains or it has rained. I haven't been to stoney lonesome but I heard it is muddy and lacking in rocks and guys that I wheel with tell me it is not worth going. Windrock is a great park (and huge) but is just too far away for a day or even quick weekend trip so that turns into a "planned" trip.

The other good thing about Hot Springs is the fact that my wife likes the town itself and there are great Mt bike trails. So we stay in town (not camp at park) and in the evenings we get dinner, walk around the shops, etc.. and then next morning I can get in a quick Mt bike ride at the Northwoods trails before we head back to Memphis.

Reactions: Tob
Hawk Pride is the closest park to me and I hit it a few times a year. I also go to Hot Springs a few times a year. Big difference between Hot Springs and Hawk Pride is that Hot Springs is more rock and is better in any weather. The actual trails (which are rock) at Hawk Pride are always good, but the access roads turn into a muddy mess if it rains or it has rained. I haven't been to stoney lonesome but I heard it is muddy and lacking in rocks and guys that I wheel with tell me it is not worth going. Windrock is a great park (and huge) but is just too far away for a day or even quick weekend trip so that turns into a "planned" trip.

The other good thing about Hot Springs is the fact that my wife likes the town itself and there are great Mt bike trails. So we stay in town (not camp at park) and in the evenings we get dinner, walk around the shops, etc.. and then next morning I can get in a quick Mt bike ride at the Northwoods trails before we head back to Memphis.
Glad to get your feedback. I like hearing from folks who have been and are interested in the same kind of wheeling I am. The Alabama parks are about the same distance from me as Hot Springs. I wish I had closer access to some scenic off-road parks but we don’t have any here in Ms. . . at least nothing with rocks. . . Just mud bogs.

Heard anything about Choccolocco Mt in Alabama?

I have never been to Choccolocco but heard it is worth checking out. A few of us are planning on trying to hit it this summer (if we can find a weekend that aligns for all of us). The plan is to try and do a Mt Bike/Rock Crawling trip and hit Choccolocco and Morris Mtn in the Jeeps and Oak Mtn (birmingham) and Coldwater Mtn (anniston) on the mt bikes. I will post it up in this forum if we can ever get it together.

I have never been to Choccolocco but heard it is worth checking out. A few of us are planning on trying to hit it this summer (if we can find a weekend that aligns for all of us). The plan is to try and do a Mt Bike/Rock Crawling trip and hit Choccolocco and Morris Mtn in the Jeeps and Oak Mtn (birmingham) and Coldwater Mtn (anniston) on the mt bikes. I will post it up in this forum if we can ever get it together.
I’ve been camping at Oak Mt. That’s a good park. We hiked a few of the trails there.

I have mt biked oak mtn and coldwater a few times and you don't have to twist my arm to go back to either. If you mt bike they are both very different trail systems, but both worth the drive! Another hidden gem for mt bikes in the b'ham area is Tannehill Ironworks state park. The trails there aren't as long, but they are worth hitting if you are in the area. Mountain biking is probably my go to hobby with the Jeep being a close second, it is all about picking the right line!

Reactions: Jp'n Jess