Arkansas Mid-South (TN, AR, AL, LA, MS, MO, KY, TX, OK) Get Together Oct 22-24 at HSORV

Added to Calendar: 10-22-21, 10-23-21, 10-24-21

Fingers crossed, if I did go I would only be able to do 2 or maybe 3 rated trails as it would be my second time off-roading, will there be many people running those trails?
We would find someone for you to ride with. If I had too, If you look at the map, all the B section trails are pretty easy, but it will give you a few steep hills and a little off camber to help you get comfortable. Then Snake is a Badge of Honor Trail and is a good one to hit next, it is also one of the longer trails. Then after that all the level 2 and 3 trails in the F-section are good for you. If you are feeling good after that, Fun Run is a must do, and then Rubicon Ridge which will give you two Level 3 Badge of Honor trails. I have taken a stock TJ on 31's through all those trails listed, and my son when he was 15yo took my TJ through all those trails with no issues, so your Jeep would have no problem as it is currently built.

That is a long way for a one day of wheeling. If I was going to drive that far, I would want to stay for a few days.

@gasiorv are there many bypasses on the 5 obstacles? I’ll be with someone the first two days who has a jeep much more capable than mine. I don’t want to keep him from running 5’s if he gets the itch. He is convinced he can just winch me up the 5’s but I think my 33’s and 3 inches of lift may resemble more of a boat anchor on 5’s. If there are bypasses then I won’t mind running them.

The issue with most of the fives is not going to be the big obstacles, it is going to be the trail leading to the obstacles. The trails are littered with big rocks that you have to pick your way through and I don't think you would have the clearance to pick your way through on some of the trails.
With 33's and 3" of lift (and I am assuming lockers f&r), even with a tummy tuck I would not do the following 5's which I normally do on 35's and a 4" lift-
Slammer (slammer does have a few bypasses, so you could probably go to the first bypass)
Headbanger
Gregg's Rock
Ingrid's Revenge
One Rock at a Time

You could probably do :
Shaffner's hollow
Four Fingers (with taking all the bypasses)

A few of the 4's will give you a good workout, you could probably do it but it would take some work-
Can opener, take the bypass at the top
ultimate adventure, you should be able to pick your way through with the bypasses
Humdinger - the rocks are big and loose, it would be difficult on 33's

The good thing about being there a few days is that you won't be in any hurry. When I go for just one day, I am not in the mood to be struggling on one trail all day. But when you are there for a few days, if it takes you a long time to work your way through a trail it is not really a big deal, it is actually a good thing! Also a little winch time or a minor mechanical is not a big deal when you are there for the weekend, but when you only have a day, it is a killer. So, spend a little time the first day/morning to get a feel for the park, then if you feel like putting a tire on a trail, go do it, take your time, turn around if you have to (even if the trail is one way you probably won't see another rig all day out on those trails, so don't fear going the wrong way as long as you are safe). Nothing says you can't jump in as a passenger at the bottom of the hill, and get a ride to the top neither.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess and Tob
The issue with most of the fives is not going to be the big obstacles, it is going to be the trail leading to the obstacles. The trails are littered with big rocks that you have to pick your way through and I don't think you would have the clearance to pick your way through on some of the trails.
With 33's and 3" of lift (and I am assuming lockers f&r), even with a tummy tuck I would not do the following 5's which I normally do on 35's and a 4" lift-
Slammer (slammer does have a few bypasses, so you could probably go to the first bypass)
Headbanger
Gregg's Rock
Ingrid's Revenge
One Rock at a Time

You could probably do :
Shaffner's hollow

A few of the 4's will give you a good workout, you could probably do it but it would take some work-
ultimate adventure, you should be able to pick your way through with the bypasses

The good thing about being there a few days is that you won't be in any hurry. When I go for just one day, I am not in the mood to be struggling on one trail all day. But when you are there for a few days, if it takes you a long time to work your way through a trail it is not really a big deal, it is actually a good thing! Also a little winch time or a minor mechanical is not a big deal when you are there for the weekend, but when you only have a day, it is a killer. So, spend a little time the first day/morning to get a feel for the park, then if you feel like putting a tire on a trail, go do it, take your time, turn around if you have to (even if the trail is one way you probably won't see another rig all day out on those trails, so don't fear going the wrong way as long as you are safe). Nothing says you can't jump in as a passenger at the bottom of the hill, and get a ride to the top neither.
After watching your video of Shaffner’s hollow I feel fairly confident I can make that one. If that green Jeep lj with open diffs made it I think I can. I’m locked front and rear and I do have a winch if I get hung up.

Headbanger
Gregg's Rock
Ingrid's Revenge
One Rock at a Time

You could probably do :
Shaffner's hollow

I plan to spend Thrs afternoon getting familiar with the park. I’ll start small and work my way up.

Reactions: MagnumV8 and Tob
After watching your video of Shaffner’s hollow I feel fairly confident I can make that one. If that green Jeep lj with open diffs made it I think I can. I’m locked front and rear and I do have a winch if I get hung up.
There is a 3-4' ledge you got to climb on shaffner's, but there is a bypass to the right as you come up the hill. Almost at the top there is a slate slab that can be slick when dry, when wet it is like ice but it is doable. Have fun. Looking forward to getting over there in a few weeks.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
Anyone going to have an empty passenger seat on Saturday? Both my wife and my son are going to come with me and if their is room for one of them in a front passenger seat it would save my son from having to crawl from the top down through my cage to the backseat.

I also recruited another local kid with a TJ on 35's to join us on Saturday. My buddies in the Samurai and the JKU are both flip floppng right now so not sure they will be coming.

Anyone going to have an empty passenger seat on Saturday? Both my wife and my son are going to come with me and if their is room for one of them in a front passenger seat it would save my son from having to crawl from the top down through my cage to the backseat.

I also recruited another local kid with a TJ on 35's to join us on Saturday. My buddies in the Samurai and the JKU are both flip floppng right now so not sure they will be coming.
I think one of the Jeep’s with me should have room. I don’t think he would mind. I’ll ask him when we get there.

Less than a week to go (just a few days for Jp'nJess). There was a large group from Memphis at the park this past weekend (including my neighbor) and he said that the new owners are continuing to make changes and making improvements to the park. He did say that they have a new check in procedure that they need to work out some of the details on, and it took a little longer than normal to get checked in. So plan on getting to the park a little before 9am (office opens at 9am) on Saturday and then we will all meet up at 9:30am. If you arrive in Hot Springs early on Friday, I would recommend heading over to the park and grab your pass for Saturday on Friday afternoon. That way you don't have to stand in line Sat morning. I won't be getting in until later on Friday so won't be able to do this myself but I have done it in the past and it works out great.

• I will be in a Red TJ with a TN Flag sticker on the front bumper and on the back.
  • Bring lunch to the park, we will most likely head back to the parking lot to eat lunch, so you can leave cooler in the truck, carry it with you on the trail, or leave it at camp.
If I think of anything else this week, I will post it up. Now just have to struggle through working all week while having wheeling on my mind!!

I am going to pass this time. When I got my Jeep I started watching videos of middle Tennessee trails. Coppinger Cove caught my attention. A local group is going this Saturday and I am joining them. I hate to bail on HSORV , but I have been wanting to go to The Cove for 3+ years. @gasiorv is a great guide and watching him helped my driving.

Reactions: gasiorv
I am going to pass this time. When I got my Jeep I started watching videos of middle Tennessee trails. Coppinger Cove caught my attention. A local group is going this Saturday and I am joining them. I hate to bail on HSORV , but I have been wanting to go to The Cove for 3+ years. @gasiorv is a great guide and watching him helped my driving.
Dang yall are gonna be right close to me, what time are yall getting there? Might try and make it.

Brian,
Hate to not see you this weekend, but you will have fun at the cove. Enjoy!

Reactions: Brianj5600
For those coming to Hot Springs this weekend. I have the following for sale, let me know and I can bring it with me on Saturday. Feel free to post up what you have, this would be a good time to exchange without having to worry about shipping.

For sale:​

Jeep TJ Rubicon Dana 44 4340 Chromoly Front Axle shafts (Ten Factory) - $250 obo​

Front Chromoly Axle shafts for 03-06 TJ Rubicon or any TJ width Dana 44. Drivers side axle is less than a year old (warranty replacement), the passenger side is approx 2 years old (ujoint just replaced due to cap broke). Ten Factory MPN MG22165. Cheap way to upgrade your stock axle shafts.

Jeep TJ Rubicon Stock Rear Drive Shaft - $50 or a few beers from one of your local establishements​

Front and rear seat belts 03-06 - $200​

Stock front and rear seat belts out of 2004 TJ. Fronts are male side harness and retract with all hardware only (no female side). Rear is complete set. I will bring if someone buys in advance.

I have a bunch of stock stuff in a pile, so if there is something that you need, just ask, if your luck is like mine most likely I won't have it, but you never know.

Not for sale but as needed:​

I will also have stock front and rear Dana 44 axle shafts and stock front driveshaft on-hand if anyone needs one due to breakage. I also carry spare balljoint, ujoints, misc hardware, etc....that I will have if needed.

I’ll get there around 2 on Thrs. I have two other jeepers that won’t get there until Thrs afternoon/evening. @gasiorv they should have room for your son if he wants to ride in a passenger seat. We are staying at one of the cabins there at the park. I have to call tomorrow to see if they have a grill and if so if it’s charcoal or propane. We’ll eat dinner at the cabin Thrs night and Friday most likely but we will probably drive in to town Saturday night. How long a drive is it to good food in Hot Springs from the park?

I‘ll be in my blue TJ (as pictured to the left) with my hardtop on. The other two jeeps will be a stretched black 2 door jk on 37’s, and a stretched yellow cj on 37’s. Super nice guys (one is my uncle in-law), both are retired and just love to wheel.

Look forward to a good extended weekend. :cool:

The Hot Springs downtown area is approx 6 miles away from the park and you can find good food on Bathhouse row and around the downtown area.

Depending on what you are looking for:
Ohio Club - Hamburgers and atmosphere (must be over 21)
Rolando's for latin food
Pizza: Grateful Head, Sqzbox are both good. Deluca's is excellent but expensive and a long wait.
Superior Bathhouse Brewery is good, but they keep changing the menu and last time we were in there the beer was good but their food was really only appetizers.
Copper Penny - great bar food
Steinhaus Kellar - german food
Colorado Grill - good mexican food
Many other places to choose from.

There is a guy in Hot Springs that will deliver a load of firewood to your cabin for $60 (which is much cheaper than buying it by the bundle). Sorry, I don't have his number but they may be able to provide it at the office when you call to check on the grill.

Thanks for checking on the passenger seat, my son is a little on the shy side so he looked at me sideways and immediately responded back seat when I asked if he preferred to climb through the roll cage into the back seat or ride shotgun in someone else's rig. So I installed my back seat for him. We'll see, maybe he'll get tired of climbing in and out and see a nice jeep on 37's (preferably a CJ) to jump into :)

Sounds like it is gonna be a good trip, Victor.

For anyone going - I have personal experience with Victor’s trail leading abilities. He is awsome.

Here is a color map of the main side of HSORV. It is nice because you can easily tell the trail rating by the color.
Blue- lvl 2
Green- lvl 3
Yellow - lvl 4
Red - lvl 5
Not all trails have been highlighted and still show in black so you have to check the rating from the list.

The office has maps at check in which are in black and white. The office maps also has the trails across the street.

IMG957498.jpg

Last edited: