Arkansas Mid-South (TN, AR, AL, LA, MS, MO, KY, TX, OK) Get Together Oct 22-24 at HSORV

Added to Calendar: 10-22-21, 10-23-21, 10-24-21

The main side of HSORV is very rocky and even if it rains will be good to go (actually rain will reduce a little traction but cuts way down on the dust). I usually stay on the main side and don't venture over to the other side of street when I am there for just a day (even if I run a few of the same trails twice), but if I am there for a weekend I will sometimes head over to the other side just to mix it up a bit.

The other side of the street is completely different and is more clay (this also applies to some of the A-section on the main side). So on the other side of the street you have to watch for deep ruts which can make the trail rating more difficult (climbing a rutted hill on 35's when the ruts were dug by 40's and then washed out by rain makes it very interesting). On the other side of the street, K5, K6 are good and J29 is pretty fun but can get sketchy. The L's and the H's are all good for just "trail riding" and not crawling.

@Jp'n Jess since you will be there for extended time you may want to venture across the street to check it out. I don't want to scare you away, just trying to get you the 411. A25 - Buckhorn North in the A-section is a nice long trail that is not crawling but a nice long trail ride with steep ups and downs, but the same applies for the ruts on the hill climbs, you got to be careful if it hasn't been bulldozed in a while.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
Well, I'd love to meet y'all and get some wheeling in, but I am swamped with schoolwork. There's no way I can take off and wheel this weekend in good conscience. Maybe thanksgiving or sometime in December I'll get a chance to make a trip. Y'all have fun!

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
The main side of HSORV is very rocky and even if it rains will be good to go (actually rain will reduce a little traction but cuts way down on the dust). I usually stay on the main side and don't venture over to the other side of street when I am there for just a day (even if I run a few of the same trails twice), but if I am there for a weekend I will sometimes head over to the other side just to mix it up a bit.

The other side of the street is completely different and is more clay (this also applies to some of the A-section on the main side). So on the other side of the street you have to watch for deep ruts which can make the trail rating more difficult (climbing a rutted hill on 35's when the ruts were dug by 40's and then washed out by rain makes it very interesting). On the other side of the street, K5, K6 are good and J29 is pretty fun but can get sketchy. The L's and the H's are all good for just "trail riding" and not crawling.

@Jp'n Jess since you will be there for extended time you may want to venture across the street to check it out. I don't want to scare you away, just trying to get you the 411. A25 - Buckhorn North in the A-section is a nice long trail that is not crawling but a nice long trail ride with steep ups and downs, but the same applies for the ruts on the hill climbs, you got to be careful if it hasn't been bulldozed in a while.
Thanks for the info. I’ll cruise around and explore the park tomorrow after I get unloaded. I was in Sedona last week so I have been itching to wheel since leaving!

Reactions: gasiorv
I've made two round trips to Colorado in the past month and don't think I have another long drive in me right now. Also won't have time to get my front locker and axles in, grease my squeaky ass Johnny joints or address my tire interference with the sway bar so my Jeep isn't really ready to do the trails I want to hit while there.

All loaded up and ready to head out tomorrow morning.
20211021_181134.jpg

It’s been fun so far. I was a bit taken back by how steep a lot of the trails are! There is a pucker factor that the trail ratings don’t account for. I went up a few 3’s that would have been easy on flat ground, but going what felt like straight up, made me pretty nervous. I really wish I had an automatic and 4:1 low range. It would make those steep climbs a little less daunting.

It’s been fun so far. I was a bit taken back by how steep a lot of the trails are! There is a pucker factor that the trail ratings don’t account for. I went up a few 3’s that would have been easy on flat ground, but going what felt like straight up, made me pretty nervous. I really wish I had an automatic and 4:1 low range. It would make those steep climbs a little less daunting.
Good to know. I'm not making it for this event but I might take the time to install my hand throttle before I go out there.

I have sat on that front porch a few times.

A few good 3's if you haven't hit them yet is Fun Run, Rock Fink Ravine (off of Snake) but DON"t take Part Duex, Tex Winder, Top of Donnie's hill. Even though it is a 4, Ultimate Adventure is one o my favorite trails and you should be good with.

Will load up this afternoon and head that way after wife and son get home from work/school. Now I am trying to focus on getting my work done and NOT look at the internet.

I have sat on that front porch a few times.

A few good 3's if you haven't hit them yet is Fun Run, Rock Fink Ravine (off of Snake) but DON"t take Part Duex, Tex Winder, Top of Donnie's hill. Even though it is a 4, Ultimate Adventure is one o my favorite trails and you should be good with.

Will load up this afternoon and head that way after wife and son get home from work/school. Now I am trying to focus on getting my work done and NOT look at the internet.
@gasiorv Didn’t you say ultimate adventure had a bypass at the top?

Last edited: