Arkansas Mid-South (TN, AR, AL, LA, MS, MO, KY, TX, OK) Get Together Oct 22-24 at HSORV

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
UPDATE:
Date: Oct 22-24, 2021 (official ride date will be Saturday, Oct 23 at 9am)
HSORV phone number for those who want to make reservations: 501-625-3600

As posted in the TJ Fest 2021 forum area, is there any interest in a Mid-South get together? If so, this year or wait until next year.

For the mid-south, I believe the best time is in the fall since it is not so hot and humid and the rain is generally less than in the spring. However, I don't mind wheeling in the summer heat as long as I rent a cabin or hotel room for air conditioning at night and I don't mind wheeling in the winter neither.

For the first annual, I am recommending a larger park like Hot Springs or Windrock, for future we can gauge the size.
Right now Hot Springs website is not really updated, but I know that Hot Springs has a few events held there in Oct. MidSouth Jeep club and Cruiser Crawlers both meet there in early to mid October. But I have wheeled on these weekends and they really didn't interfere with the harder level trails because they are on mostly beginner trails. Windrock typically has their Fall Run, Dixie Run, and Bleepin Jeep fan day in Oct but I think this park is so large that these events probably wouldn't interfere. They may clog a harder trail so I would probably try and avoid these dates since I would want to do the harder trail.

Typically these things don't work by mass vote and not every date and location works for everyone and someone has to ultimately make a decision and go with it. But for right now, I am just opening this up for discussion, seeing if there is interest, location ideas, and possible dates (this year or next)? I can then contact the parks and drill down from there.

Last edited:
Here is a list of possible parks that I put together in the other forum. However, we are not limited to these options, please add more. I know there are areas up in KY that are on my list like Harlan (which is on my to do list) and in OK, like disney (which is on my to do list), but that is getting a little far out of the Mid-South for this first time. But if someone is familiar with these areas and wants to throw them out as an option, please do.

Parks that come to mind are:
Central location to Mid-South:
Hot Springs Off-Road Park - Hot Springs Arkansas
Hawk Pride - Tuscumbia AL
SMORR - somewhere in middle of MO

Further East:
Windrock - Oak Ridge, TN ( pretty far east and pushing the limit for those on the west side of the Mississippi river, but it is very large park and you could easily spend a few days here)
AOP - S Pittsburg, TN (you could also do a day at Coppinger Cove, or head over to hit iron Gap Rd trail)

I'm in but will let yall pick the dates and location.

Did Wheeling in the Country ever open back up??

I'm gonna be moving back to OK in about 6 weeks. This would be fun. I'll be in OKC though, so I'd be much more likely to go to AR or MO than all the way to windrock, at least this year. I can't commit yet either way just because there's so much up in the air with the move right now.

I'm in but will let yall pick the dates and location.

Did Wheeling in the Country ever open back up??
Wheelin in the Country in Summertown TN is open. They have their 2021 schedule posted on their FB page. Their website doesn't work. I have never been there, was under the assumption it was more mud than rock, but I actually don't know. Is it worth a trip?

Wheelin in the Country in Summertown TN is open. They have their 2021 schedule posted on their FB page. Their website doesn't work. I have never been there, was under the assumption it was more mud than rock, but I actually don't know. Is it worth a trip?
When I was there with the east coast Bronco registry they had rocks, trails and mud. We had a blast but this was a good many years ago.

I have been to Hot Springs a couple of times, its nice and has new owners that are updating it.

I have to say after traveling to various parks around the area that SMORR is 100% the nicest park I have visited so far. Don't discount it, the campsites are great, super clean bath and shower house. 2 BOH trails, lots of diversity in difficulty so there is something for everyone. They added full hook up sites this year and overflow / generator camping areas if you have an RV or big camper. They have cabins on site and there are hotels in Seymour MO just a few miles away.

Disney in OK is small and mostly rock along the river. Limited trails would not recommend it at all for a group run.

Just got back from Flat Nasty in Central MO this weekend. Trying to hit some new areas within a few hours driving, but want to plan some longer trips too.

Just to get a basic idea of interest and what we would need. Please include the below info:

I am interested in attending
Preferred location
Preferred date
Lodging Requirements
Comfort/Skill Level (assuming trails are rated 1-5 with 1 being gravel road and 5 being buggy trail)
Willing to be trail leader for similar group

Example For me:
My preferred location(s) would be Hot Springs or SMORR
October weekend
Would need tent site/bathhouse or nearby hotel
Comfort/Skill level is 4 and 5's.
I would lead a 4/5 group

I’m interested in wind rock. I’m willing to try about anything but have no experience.

gonna try my first go around this Saturday at Prentice Cooper

Just to get a basic idea of interest and what we would need. Please include the below info:

I am interested in attending.
Preferred location. SMORR or Hot Springs.
Preferred date. Fall (Sept or Oct)
Lodging Requirements. Campsite with electric hookup.
Comfort/Skill Level. 4, there are some trails at both parks you don't want to end up on. SMORR is rated 1-6, I run most the 5's and none of the 6's.
Willing to be trail leader for similar group. Yes.

Me and my Jeep would run the 1&2 trails, if @AndyG brings the beast I would ride with him on anything else ha ha

Location TN, GA, AL.

Preferred location- Hot Springs or SMORR
Preferred date: September or October
Lodging Requirements: primitive camping or better
Comfort/Skill Level (assuming trails are rated 1-5 with 1 being gravel road and 5 being buggy trail): 1- 3
Willing to be trail leader for similar group. Possibly

Reactions: Rick Flair
I’m interested
Preferred location: Hot Springs or any of the AL trails (I’d like to try Stoney Lonesome Park). Winrock would be cool too.
Preferred date: any date from Late Oct through Feb
Lodging: Cabins or a hotel
Comfort/Skill level: 4’s
Not interested in leading at this time.

I’m in too!
Would prefer AL or AR for convenience
Any weekend works for me except the 2 weeks around the 4th
Cabins or a Hampton or HGI work but I don’t mind pitching a tent either.
On the 1-5 scale I’d be up for a 4.
I don’t mind going first, but I’d use the term “lead” loosely if it’s somewhere I’ve never been before.

I sent Hot Springs an email and they said that October was pretty busy but to give them a call to see what weekend would work best for us. I called them and it looks like they have both Cabins and Electric Hook up sites available for the weekend of Oct 21-25.

So I am going to nail down the date and place to be Hot Springs Off-Road Park Oct 22 - 24 with the "official/unofficial" date to be Sat, Oct 23. Those who arrive early can wheel on their own Friday and those who want to wheel a little more can wheel on their own Sunday as well. Heck, if you want to make a real long weekend out of it, they are open Thurs thru Mon so feel free.

They currently have cabin and RV/Electric hook up locations available for that weekend, so make your reservations early. Their office hours are Thurs-Mon 9am-5pm and the phone number is 501-625-3600

Looks like we got the following interested:
name (level) (lodging)
gasiorv (4/5)
smcnich (4) (cabin or hotel)
JpnJess (4) (cabin or hotel)
JpOdell (1-3) (camping)
John Cooper (2)
AMS417 (4/5) (electric hookup)
jeffmarion
freedomin4low

MiddTenn responded but stated only interested in Windrock.

This is an unofficial Regional Fest which is basically a bunch of us meeting up to ride together on Sat Oct 23. As time gets closer we can possibly plan a pot luck at someone's cabin/campsite for Fri or Sat night or meet up in town at a local watering hole. But other than that, nothing official will be planned. Sat morning we will meet up in the parking lot and break up into ride groups of similar level and head out.

Reactions: Tob and Jp'n Jess
I note 8 in the previous post, but this is open to anyone who wants to join us, I was just highlighting those who already responded but it was not my intent to limit. Also, feel free to invite friends who may or may not be in TJs. I will most likely invite a few of my Samurai buddies to tag along.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess