Southern Jeepers

That's where I 'll be all day Saturday the 24th....gonna jeep waive til my hand hurts, yank off angry bird grills, ride a mountain coaster and eat at Joe's Crab shack.
Oh, so if I don't work this Saturday I'll be in pigeon forge. Not going to spend a boat load of cash on somewhere to stay, so I'll probably find somewhere to camp for free.99

I do, which is why you see me post quite a bit lol. I like to do things 3-4 times until it's right.
I need more local mechanic friends. I'm always helping all my buddies do work on their cars because they dont understand how the car works, could just as well be a hamster on a wheel to them. "I keep oil in it" lol

I've always worked on most of my stuff, I'm too cheap to pay others although I do let the dealer do most of my work on my truck. My jeep is my toy and hobby, so I like to turn the wrenches on it. I went to a tech high school for automotive and had an offer to work at a Chevrolet dealer but I wanted to be in the Army since I was a kid so I took that route. I'll admit, having the Jeep has really helped bringing back a lot of the mechanical skills I lost over the years.

I've always worked on most of my stuff, I'm too cheap to pay others although I do let the dealer do most of my work on my truck. My jeep is my toy and hobby, so I like to turn the wrenches on it. I went to a tech high school for automotive and had an offer to work at a Chevrolet dealer but I wanted to be in the Army since I was a kid so I took that route. I'll admit, having the Jeep has really helped bringing back a lot of the mechanical skills I lost over the years.
A Jeep will make a mechanic out of decent men!

I find it very therapeutic to work on mine... Turn off the cell phone... Forget about the world's noise.. get in the zone.

I have watched your threads and I can tell you aren't afraid of much of anything...you would be the kind of guy that I would want around when I sucked a branch up into my countershaft in the woods on a KTM.

Also for guys that plan to go off road, you need to know enough about your vehicle that you can at least deal with a few things if you're stranded.

Here's a good example of what I mean...I bet there are a lot of later-model owners out there that wouldn't even know how to come out of the woods and explain to somebody what they broke.

I don't mean to categorically slam anybody but I would say that would be more true in the JK world than it would be in the TJ world.

We have some guys on here that if they broke an axle, they carry spares and know how to change them. If Jerry Bransford or Blaine's broke, they could build a CJ-2A out of the parts.

I knew a guy that would do enduros and have extra pistons and rings in his bag on the trail.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
I do all my own work. With probably the exception of diff gears when I'm ready to replace them. Just heard lots of horror storiies on that, so I'd rather get a professional to do it and hopefully I can help & learn how it's done the right way.
I do plan on doing my own sye once I get the parts.

Reactions: JMT and AndyG
I do all my own work. With probably the exception of diff gears when I'm ready to replace them. Just heard lots of horror storiies on that, so I'd rather get a professional to do it and hopefully I can help & learn how it's done the right way.
I do plan on doing my own sye once I get the parts.
I re geared mind the first time... And I paid someone to straighten that out

I won't make that mistake again.

I'm not saying it's impossible but in order to do it successfully you really need to understand everything about it.

So, if anyone is interested, I am planning on going camping/wheeling on October 4-5-6th.
Still unsure if we want to go to LBL or Prentice Cooper state forest. Just going to be some mild wheeling. My buddy is coming with his son in his stock grand Cherokee. Mainly gonna be a family camping trip.

Was planning for September 21+22, but my wife will be out of town & she wants to come with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
hope The rain holds off.. I’m planning on going with only my Bimini top.. fingers crossed!!

• Haha
We have a few places 2-3 hours away from you in north Alabama, Stony Lonesome and some place in the Florence /Tuscumbia area.

Now that you are getting that TJ smoothed out , distance runs will be easier .

That little fellar is gonna be your best co pilot ever ....give it time .

We need to get some Alabama /Tennessee boys to hook up sometime .
I’ve got a place on Weiss so I’m pretty close to those areas I believe

Last edited:
hope The rain holds off.. I’m planning on going with only my Bimini top.. fingers crossed!!
I plan on bringing mine. But if it's any type of muddy, roof and windows stay up. Thankfully my ac blows very cold 😃

I Hate cleaning mud out of the inside. Such a pain, lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hog
Leaning towards camping at Prentice Cooper (it's free, or was a few years ago) there are some cool view points and some trails. Not sure if any of the ohv trails run into view points or not. Kind of leaning away from AORP I mainly just don't want to pay
Definitely want to hit up that coppinger cove rd if we get the chance

Let me know if anyone is interested in joining us I'd love to have a few more rigs in the convoy. & Like I said, my buddies G Cherokee is stock so the wheeling will be pretty mild

Leaning towards camping at Prentice Cooper (it's free, or was a few years ago) there are some cool view points and some trails. Not sure if any of the ohv trails run into view points or not. Kind of leaning away from AORP I mainly just don't want to pay
Definitely want to hit up that coppinger cove rd if we get the chance

Let me know if anyone is interested in joining us I'd love to have a few more rigs in the convoy. & Like I said, my buddies G Cherokee is stock so the wheeling will be pretty mild
Mild is a lot cheaperwith less damage😂

I am in for some camping, but work is about to get busy. I hope to find a couple of weekends to get away this fall. I am also up for a ride once I get my Jeep ironed out. A friend of mine's son bought a Jeep and the Navy has been keeping him busy, but has a leave coming up. We are looking at 9/15 or 9/21 at Woolly's or Wheelin in the Country or ?????

I'd be down for 9/21 too. My wife will be out of town, so just the kiddos and me.
She's afraid that everyone on the internet are murder Hobo's. (Tomuch criminal minds)
So if anyone else goes too, I can say "nah they're cool I've met them before" 🤣🤣

I'll try to have my jeep ready by then, I've got some stuffs to replace before then

Reactions: JMT