Midland MXT275 MicroMobile

I had this exact problem, happened often when I hit bumps on the freeway, what actually calmed it down a lot was removing my CB antenna spring, it would cause them to bounce into each other very loudly. Removing it has fixed my problem.

On a side note: Did you ever check your SWR for the midland? If so, what were you reading?
I have one on order. Not due to ship until the 26th.

Reactions: D M
Just an update on tuning, I found my SWR meter, but couldn't find the male-male coax cable I bought X years ago, So I snagged a 4ft off amazon for 7$ coming tmrow, I'm gonna use it to tune my Uniden Pro 510XL( I have a 520XL coming soon due to the 510 being fffed up from water etc.) and I found out I cant use it with the mxt-275 since CB is such a smaller band, the tuner wont work. So on top of that I ordered a cheap SWR meter that's compatible for GMRS frequencies, gets here the 16-19.

I know how to tune since I did it a while back when I had my coax cables all kinked(before I lost the damn cable🤦‍♂️) and its fairly easy so if any of you have a CB or GMRS radio and its tunable, and are going to the moab event following shortly, I can help tune your radios if you guys would like if youre there:)

Reactions: Alex01
I tried tuning my MXT-275 last week. I picked up a Surecom SW-33 GMRS SWR meter.
20210405_082320.jpg

The kit doesn't come with the larger ends to connect to the radio and coax, so I had to order those separately. Best I could get is 1.94:1 SWR.That was after trimming a tiny bit off the antenna. As a test, I hooked up the smaller antenna that came with the radio and got an almost perfect 1.01:1 with it, so something is not right with my 6db antenna, or the cable. I checked the cable routing to be sure I had no sharp kinks. I hope I didn't trim too much off the antenna. I ordered a Browning antenna in the mean time and a new coax cable to trouble shoot.

I tried tuning my MXT-275 last week. I picked up a Surecom SW-33 GMRS SWR meter.
View attachment 241046
The kit doesn't come with the larger ends to connect to the radio and coax, so I had to order those separately. Best I could get is 1.94:1 SWR.That was after trimming a tiny bit off the antenna. As a test, I hooked up the smaller antenna that came with the radio and got an almost perfect 1.01:1 with it, so something is not right with my 6db antenna, or the cable. I checked the cable routing to be sure I had no sharp kinks. I hope I didn't trim too much off the antenna. I ordered a Browning antenna in the mean time and a new coax cable to trouble shoot.
I ordered that exact one, can you point me in the direction of those connector ends

Reactions: MikekiM
View attachment 241046
What was your SWR before? And How much did you cut off? Ive heard some people had to cut off an inch. And how is the ground connection on the antenna mount?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3369T2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I will re-clean the ground mount on my tail light mount and check again. It originally had a 2.2 SWR. I cut off 1/4" at a time 3 times to get down to 1.94 SWR.
Thanks for the link

I had a feeling the SWR would be around 2 or so, that's still decently high, did you cut off any more? Even a small cut such as 1 mm? Curious to know if it keeps dropping your SWR, or did you cut it and it wont go lower than 1.94?

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Thanks for the link

I had a feeling the SWR would be around 2 or so, that's still decently high, did you cut off any more? Even a small cut such as 1 mm? Curious to know if it keeps dropping your SWR, or did you cut it and it wont go lower than 1.94?
I just got done taking the NMO mount back apart and cleaning everything well. I also picked up a magnet NMO mount and cable to trouble shoot so I can rule out the coax cable as the problem. Even with the 6db antenna on the mag mount on the center of the jeep hood I'm getting 2.20 SWR. 2.0 with the antenna back on the tail light mount. This is in a wide open area at work with no obstructions. I hooked up the little mag mount antenna that came with the radio and get almost perfect 1.01 SWR. Looks like Midland did a good job tuning that antenna to the radio. The 6 db antenna, not so good. I put a email in to Midland. They are going to warranty the antenna and send me a new one. In the mean time, I might cut some more off just to see which way the SWR goes.

I just got done taking the NMO mount back apart and cleaning everything well. I also picked up a magnet NMO mount and cable to trouble shoot so I can rule out the coax cable as the problem. Even with the 6db antenna on the mag mount on the center of the jeep hood I'm getting 2.20 SWR. 2.0 with the antenna back on the tail light mount. This is in a wide open area at work with no obstructions. I hooked up the little mag mount antenna that came with the radio and get almost perfect 1.01 SWR. Looks like Midland did a good job tuning that antenna to the radio. The 6 db antenna, not so good. I put a email in to Midland. They are going to warranty the antenna and send me a new one. In the mean time, I might cut some more off just to see which way the SWR goes.
I would do the same thing. As others said and with some videos Ive watched so far, you actually need to cut a good amount. Sucks, but maybe you just had a bad one

I would do the same thing. As others said and with some videos Ive watched so far, you actually need to cut a good amount. Sucks, but maybe you just had a bad one
Yeah, I may try to cut more off when I have some spare time. I also have a Browning BR-450 antenna coming. The Notarubicon guy on you tube uses that one mounted in the same location as ours. I didn't like how the Midland antenna would whip wildly if the wind struck it just right on the freeway. Maybe that action damaged it, don't know, but it's good customer service for Midland to warranty out the antenna and send me a new one.

Yeah, I may try to cut more off when I have some spare time. I also have a Browning BR-450 antenna coming. The Notarubicon guy on you tube uses that one mounted in the same location as ours. I didn't like how the Midland antenna would whip wildly if the wind struck it just right on the freeway. Maybe that action damaged it, don't know, but it's good customer service for Midland to warranty out the antenna and send me a new one.
He’s the isarubicon guy on here

As we all know space in a TJ is limited, and since I already have a CB mounted I was liking to not have another radio taking up space. I went with the MXT275 Midland for that reason. I mounted it on the driver side up and out of the way, I may mount a remote plug for the mic on the console somplace

View attachment 236497

That remote plug idea is great idea!

Reactions: Ephry73
Reactions: MikekiM
Reactions: MountaineerTom