Midland MXT275 MicroMobile

Looking at going with a pair of these also to go with my new MXT275 that I ordered. Just thinking if I am on a trail with other GMRS user's I should have my spotter or other out walking the trail as they sometimes like to do, or sometimes they walk ahead to check things out. I think that the only for them to communicate with me in the jeep would be from them to also be on GMRS and not FRS is my thinking correct ?

Midland GXT1000VP4​

or these​

X-TALKER T290VP4​

Reactions: Alex01 and D M
Looking at going with a pair of these also to go with my new MXT275 that I ordered. Just thinking if I am on a trail with other GMRS user's I should have my spotter or other out walking the trail as they sometimes like to do, or sometimes they walk ahead to check things out. I think that the only for them to communicate with me in the jeep would be from them to also be on GMRS and not FRS is my thinking correct ?

Midland GXT1000VP4​

or these​

X-TALKER T290VP4​

cant go wrong either way IMO

cant go wrong either way IMO
I really like the size of the T290, only real problem is charging them.

Dedicated 9v charger is not USB capable so only 110 charging so now I need an inverter.

700 mAh battery that cannot be replaced with AA or AAA's

Reactions: D M
I just picked up a pair of cheap Uniden FRS talkies for potential spotters or whomever/whatever. Paid $10/shipped for a pair of them. Work find with the GMRS in the Jeep.

Reactions: Alex01 and D M
I have my Baofeng and a pair of these, they work well for trail use

IMG_0658.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and Zorba
Those look kinda cool! Never saw any like those before.
I got the idea from @bobthetj03 after we went to upper lake, amazon actually sent me a different pair than what was listed in the Ad, but these use 1-22 GMRS and FRS so I like the fact it can use both. I tested the range with a buddy when we were also testing the baofeng's range. Its okay, about a mile at best and there was some obstruction(neighborhood houses), but fine for trail use when we are within eyesight too.

Reactions: Zorba
Just received my new equipment hopefully next time I am with my jeep I can start the install. I went with the Midland MXT275 because of its small size and since I am keeping my CB for now I didn't want one more thing mounted taking up space. Also went with the Teraflex passenger side taillight mount, and the Midland 6dB gain antenna for better reception. Also this way it will match the CB antenna mounted on the drivers side taillight mount, I guess this is my OCD coming out. Then to round it out added the Midland Handheld GXT1030 VP4 units for tail and camp use. Now I hope everything works like I planned :)

IMG_8034.jpg

Also for anyone who didnt know, I just found out that you CAN tune the 6 db antenna that Plumber01, myself and others are running. You can adjust the SWR by scanning it with a GMRS SWR meter, and shortening the antenna until you get good SWR (under 2.5 IIRC) The allen key is to remove the antenna, and you cut about an inch off at a time and put it back in until you get a good reading. Doing this will also(i dont know how) give you a few more watts to the output, since this is a 15w unit. Not very much, but if you tune the SWR you can gain I believe up to 7W. I started talking to a local GMRS group and they filled me in on this. I will be tuning my GMRS(and CB radio) with the help of a friend from this group. Many of the members in this group talked about transmitting more power from the unit after having a properly tuned SWR. I will let you all know the outcome of tuning my 275

Also for anyone who didnt know, I just found out that you CAN tune the 6 db antenna that Plumber01, myself and others are running. You can adjust the SWR by scanning it with a GMRS SWR meter, and shortening the antenna until you get good SWR (under 2.5 IIRC) The allen key is to remove the antenna, and you cut about an inch off at a time and put it back in until you get a good reading. Doing this will also(i dont know how) give you a few more watts to the output, since this is a 15w unit. Not very much, but if you tune the SWR you can gain I believe up to 7W. I started talking to a local GMRS group and they filled me in on this. I will be tuning my GMRS(and CB radio) with the help of a friend from this group. Many of the members in this group talked about transmitting more power from the unit after having a properly tuned SWR. I will let you all know the outcome of tuning my 275
Keep me up to date on how the running goes, I thought I had read that they were tuned when you get them, but I maybe wrong.

Reactions: D M
Keep me up to date on how the running goes, I thought I had read that they were tuned when you get them, but I maybe wrong.
I was under the impression that they were too, but my buddy said he checked his and the SWR was around 3.2,(way too high) he tuned it and ended at 1.6 IIRC which is damn near perfect. He also said he was outputting 27watts from his 20 watt unit after that