Midnight Metalworks Rockbox D300

I almost went the 300 flip route last year when I was looking for tcase gearing. With the 300 you could add a black box in front and it's nearly the same length as 231 I believe.

I found a 241or locally for a good price and went that route.
I have the D300/Ecobox. Love it so far.

These cases have been out since summer I think. Nothing terribly new, the D300 replace a case has been around for a while.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
So if the 300 is too small for our tj’s with automatic transmissions , and we want a 4:1 ratio transfer case the only options we have is the (rubicon 241OR). Or an atlas?? Is that right ? So what 4:1 transfer case would fit the best ??
Yes, pretty much.

• Sad
Reactions: Irun
These cases have been out since summer I think. Nothing terribly new, the D300 replace a case has been around for a while.
I never went with the behemoth version since they had pretty spotty reviews with lack of responses or no product after payment. It's nice that option is back along with this newer option.

There are 2 300 cases on marketplace now local for around 300.

I was looking for a lower tcase option coming from a toyota pickup with dual cases. The gearing options are nice. Almost never used double low though.

I never went with the behemoth version since they had pretty spotty reviews with lack of responses or no product after payment. It's nice that option is back along with this newer option.

There are 2 300 cases on marketplace now local for around 300.

I was looking for a lower tcase option coming from a toyota pickup with dual cases. The gearing options are nice. Almost never used double low though.
Behemoth was bought out by an investment type company. Most everything is outsourced and price point is high.

I should be ordering d300 case in a couple days for my nsg370 LJ... Will be doing a 2.75"-3.00" front stretch. We will have to see how much down travel we can get.

I should be ordering d300 case in a couple days for my nsg370 LJ... Will be doing a 2.75"-3.00" front stretch. We will have to see how much down travel we can get.
How are you pulling off that much front stretch?

So if the 300 is too small for our tj’s with automatic transmissions , and we want a 4:1 ratio transfer case the only options we have is the (rubicon 241OR). Or an atlas?? Is that right ? So what 4:1 transfer case would fit the best ??

I'm no expert here and don't have the MANY vehicle experience that some have but IMO it come down to what do you want it to do.
I remember 1987 rolling around and everyone HATED a chain drive transfer case in a Jeep Wrangler.
If you just want 4:1 gearing then yep the 241OR might be it.
If you want the ability to be able to do front digs then you need something like an Atlas or D300. And as has been pointed out the D300 might not have the separation to clear some transmissions so it may or may not be the best choice.
Everyone is throwing up their hands because of the cost of this built D300. Well how about the cost of a Hero t-case?
https://herotransfercase.com/
2 Speed case starts at: $3500
3 Speed case starts at: $5000
And I wasn't happy about paying $2800 for my STaK's t-case.

Wow how bout that.

I KNEW this option would be met with doubt. Nope it isn't the end all answer to the driveshaft clearance issue and you have to have places to mount the pillow blocks on top of other things. And YES it can have some vibrations. But it is a way to make it fit. Isn't most of our rigs a compromise in one way or another? And NONE of this is cheap.

Reactions: Irun
I really would HATE to sit down and add up how much I've actually spent on mine.
It is truly astounding how fast even the little stuff adds up. I have a spreadsheet on the silver TJ and the total number is shocking. However, like you, I realize quality costs and don't dwell on it. What matters most, to me, is being happy with what I've done, and not redoing things later, because I cheaped out or compromised!

A lot of work as I'm sure you know, but what specifically information are you looking for?

Well since he has a 2.5-3" stretch on the front of his rig I think he's asking how you are going to get anything over 2" of stretch without moving a LOT of things.
What are you doing with the trackbar? Steering box? Pitman arm? Drag link? And other items that all get in the way.

But back to the subject of this thread, Are you running a stock D300 case? What flip kit are you going with? Stock gearing?

A lot of work as I'm sure you know, but what specifically information are you looking for?
Truthfully, it was a bit of a leading question. It's a crazy amount of work. Just wondering if you knew that, and if so, if you had a plan for it.

Edit: Rick beat be to it with his reply.

Reactions: Wildman
Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
The issue I have investing in the Hero case is when we hit another recession and these companies start to close doors will we wind up not being able to get parts like the Stak cases? Or any case that uses specific parts.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
The issue I have investing in the Hero case is when we hit another recession and these companies start to close doors will we wind up not being able to get parts like the Stak cases? Or any case that uses specific parts.
Well that won't happen for a while, I mean haven't you heard about the amazing economy we have had in Biden's first year in office?