Mild front bumper options?

Nicholas

TJ Enthusiast
One of my only cosmetic mods that I want to change about my TJ is the front bumper I see all these crazy heavy duties everywhere it I want something mild that will be balanced out with my lift and tires, any suggestions?
a8d725f82edb21374afe72ebe216503d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nicholas
The aftermarket bumpers are really heavy as well. Most of them weigh at least 75 pounds. Some of the cheaper ones like EAG and smittybilt are more than130 pounds. Stock bumper is like 25. If you are adding a winch I wouldn't do it to an aftermarket bumper as the weight will be a lot in the front. You can always just add some .75-1 inch front spring spacers.

Consider searching "stock bumper mods Jeep tj" I'll try and find the link.

Not to hijack but does anyone know of any bull bars for stock bumpers that will clear a winch? (An XRC preferably)

Also, then if OP decided he wanted a winch later on his bumper if he went with @crackedcornish reccomendations of a bull bar he could throw a winch on there and not have figment issues.

and then there's always something like the Metalcloak frame built bumper where you can build it anyway you want from mild to wild
FB-TJ-270000-2T.jpg

FB-TJ-231006-2T.jpg

the thing I like about this bumper is you can add parts as your budget allows..I built the one on my YJ over the span of a year. I actually bought a piece every time that metalcloak had a free shipping offer. I started with the base, high crawler end caps and the high mount shackle mounts then added the stinger grill guard, then finally the aluminum fixed fairlead and front license plate adapter (not shown in the pic) to finish it off
image2-2_zps68427bea.jpg

Reactions: JMT
One of my only cosmetic mods that I want to change about my TJ is the front bumper I see all these crazy heavy duties everywhere it I want something mild that will be balanced out with my lift and tires, any suggestions? View attachment 21894

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is a stock TJ with 4" removed at each end. I duplicated the original angle and added MOPAR end caps. I have a Warn winch plate with a Warn VR10,000. I had to fabricate and weld some mounts to the winch plate so I could attach a Warrior hoop (no mods to the hoop). The original TJ tow hooks would not fit so I added a pair of Reece hooks. I have a 2" lift and 265/75/16" Goodyear Duratracs.

upload_2017-9-10_19-17-29.png

A combo 2x... Based on what you are looking for I would stay with the stock bumper and add a winch plate as Chris states and get end caps and grill guard like Crackedcornish recommends. I almost went this option when the money became close to the same as a new bumper which added shackle mounts.

You could also buy some fog lights and tow hooks. That makes the factory bumper look better too. Wouldn't he need to pull the winch plate again when he decides to put a winch on? Not that it's that much work. Some (like me) hate redundancy.

Reactions: Nicholas