Milestar Patagonia 15k Mile Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're on the same page but honestly I can't even really tell at this point if Milestar has even suggested this. It seems this is all based on a youtube video.

Gotcha. I misread it then, if it’s just some biased video then disregard my statement.

What they do have does not match what I’ve heard from Litebrite and I see nothing saying to treat their MT’s different on their site.

View attachment 154738

You cut out the disclaimer at the bottom of all that:

Screenshot_20200421-192726.png

Unintentionally, I’d like to try a set of Patagonia’s so I’d like to see the info on the design intent.
Curiosity got the better of me because I have been looking at the Pat M/Ts too... After scouring Milestar's web site for about an hour, the only thing I came across anywhere mentioning "high-crown carcass" is for the UTV/SxS line up of tires.

https://www.milestartires.com/utv-tires/patagonia-sxs/

I'll add my 10k mile review to this thread. Coming off BFG AT KO2s, the traction from the Patagonias is unbelievable! 4 years ago I did the Rubicon Trail on the BFGs (10 psi) and three weeks ago I did it with the Patagonias (new beadlock wheels but still 10 psi) and the tire gripped the granite boulders like a gumball! One of the guys in our group of seven replaced his MTRs with Patagonias as soon as he got home from our trip because he was so impressed how my Jeep crawled up rocks and hardly ever spun a tire. This is a soft, aggressive mud terrain tire that works perfectly for my Jeep because it's mostly a weekend toy, although it's not a trailer queen and I drive it to all the places where I go wheeling, sometimes 400 mile round trips. If I get a total of 15-20K miles out of these tires, I'll be perfectly happy with them and it's unlikely that I'll switch to anything else. I would not suggest the Patagonias (or any aggressive mud terrain tire) for a daily driver that spends most of the time on the highway, that's where the KO2s shine.

I will say that the Patagonias are quite a bit more expensive now; I bought them for $146 last year (stupid cheap) and now they're $207 at Americas Tire, and the BFG KM3s are $234 (I'm on 35's with 15" Raceline beadlocks). Price is not much of a factor anymore but performance is, so while I may be tempted to try the KM3s for only $27 extra, the Patagonias are a proven performer for me.

Fascinating. I think Patagonias are a truly awful tire. I've got about 5k miles on my Patagonias. Last month I tore a large tread block off a rear. With the undriven spare on, I noticed that there was a 3/16" difference between it and the remaining three. I don't expect these to last a year, let alone 15k miles. As far as traction is concerned, both my previous GY Duratracs and Cooper ST Maxx were as good, if not better than the Patagonias. With these tires, I am spinning and struggling in steep climbs where I didn't before. In addition, I find the Patagonias to be very squeally on pavement when turning corners and they lose traction very early during a hard braking event.

The bottom line is that these tires are garbage, both on and off road.

Last edited:
have you had KM2 or KM3's in the past, or if not, is your avoidance of them deliberate or incidental?
Incidental. I haven't burned through enough tires to have more than the three sets i've had. So far. That being said, the next set will almost certainly be MTRs.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
All of our forest service trucks here run Patagonias. They are an amazing on and off road tire. Pick up gravel like no other, but bite hard.

I think there are levels of use where the good and the bad don't reveal themselves. Though, I would strongly disagree about them being anything resembling amazing on the road.

When I bought my TJ, the PO had put a set of 285-75r16 Patagonia’s on. I thought they looked good, nice aggressive lug.

But I found they cupped quite a bit, make a lot of noise on-road, and I couldn’t find a pressure that handled well. Higher pressures were squirrelly and low pressure seemed sluggish and made lots of noise on-road.

But I will say that in the dirt they felt great. Didn’t get to do any mud, but crawling around my ranch and doing the local fire roads they gripped well.
And man do they pick up gravel!

Since I drive the TJ on the road a bunch, I’ve swapped them out for a set of KO2’s and am much happier.

Right now I’m planning on finding another set of rims to mount them back up for dedicated off-roading.

If you’ve got a trailered rig, I’d say go ahead and give ‘em a try. But for on the road, I wouldn’t recommend them.
And I’ll echo the comment on the “hard to balance”, the Americas Tire in San Ramon and Redding California told me that.

Disclaimer:

This was my experience, and remember, your mileage may vary. And no squirrels were harmed in this review.

I watched @jjvw and @rasband climb the same slick hard rock steep hill with loose dirt and gravel at the peak of the hill, one of them on 35" Patagonia and one on 33" bfg all terrain's. The bfg's climbed the hill with minimal wheel spin making it look easy. The Patagonia couldn't get traction at all, lots of wheel spin, and a few back and forth efforts to get up the hill. I also climbed the same hill with 35" mtr's with little to no wheel spin. I would say the Patagonia's came in a very distant 3rd. The lack of grip on the surface was astounding to watch. After witnessing that first hand I would say get the Patagonia's if you wanted to make your off roading much more challenging due to lack of grip!

I watched @jjvw and @rasband climb the same slick hard rock steep hill with loose dirt and gravel at the peak of the hill, one of them on 35" Patagonia and one on 33" bfg all terrain's. The bfg's climbed the hill with minimal wheel spin making it look easy. The Patagonia couldn't get traction at all, lots of wheel spin, and a few back and forth efforts to get up the hill. I also climbed the same hill with 35" mtr's with little to no wheel spin. I would say the Patagonia's came in a very distant 3rd. The lack of grip on the surface was astounding to watch. After witnessing that first hand I would say get the Patagonia's if you wanted to make your off roading much more challenging due to lack of grip!

This is a case where the tire starts to matter. And for me right there, the Patagonias failed hard. On most of the rest of that trail, almost any tire short of a street tire, would have sufficed, including the Patagonias.

...I would say get the Patagonia's if you wanted to make your off roading much more challenging due to lack of grip!

JFC... I think we got the message, there must be a Colorado chapter of the Patagonia Haters Club! lol Whatever conditions you guys encounter on your trails, this is apparently not the right tire for you, so just buy something else and let it go already. However, I've personally tried MTRs, KM2s, KO2s before and on the granite of the Rubicon Trail, the Patagonias hooked up like nothing else at 10 psi.

If I ever go wheelin' in Colorado, I might have to consider using a different tire based on your feedback, but you guys are really going overboard with the bashing on these Patagonias and it's getting a bit ridiculous.

JFC... I think we got the message, there must be a Colorado chapter of the Patagonia Haters Club! lol Whatever conditions you guys encounter on your trails, this is apparently not the right tire for you, so just buy something else and let it go already. However, I've personally tried MTRs, KM2s, KO2s before and on the granite of the Rubicon Trail, the Patagonias hooked up like nothing else at 10 psi.

If I ever go wheelin' in Colorado, I might have to consider using a different tire based on your feedback, but you guys are really going overboard with the bashing on these Patagonias and it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Maybe I got a bad set of these garbage tires. I haven't had these great experiences of normal wear and grip and quiet and chunks not ripping off.

Maybe I got a bad set of these garbage tires.

bwahahaha... you still couldn't help yourself with that last little jab, huh?? lol It's all good man, I get it that you really hate these tires because they definitely didn't work for you, but I'm no shill and I promise you that they worked incredibly well on dry granite boulders on the Rubicon Trail. Maybe just consider the possibility that they *could* work really well for others, even if they didn't for you... ;)

bwahahaha... you still couldn't help yourself with that last little jab, huh?? lol It's all good man, I get it that you really hate these tires because they definitely didn't work for you, but I'm no shill and I promise you that they worked incredibly well on dry granite boulders on the Rubicon Trail. Maybe just consider the possibility that they *could* work really well for others, even if they didn't for you... ;)

Next you'll tell us how great these tires grip in Moab. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: hosejockey61
Next you'll tell us how great these tires grip in Moab. ;)

Haven't been to Moab (yet) but if I go there on these tires and they suck, I promise that I'll tell you the truth. Remember, I'm on freakin beadlocks and it takes me close to an hour to mount each new tire, so I'm not going to bs anybody when selecting a tire means 5 hours of super-boring work to get them mounted.

Depending what happens with pricing next time I need tires, I may try the KM3s since I haven't tried those yet, but based on my experience with Patagonias so far, if that was the only tire they had in stock, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 5 of them. Clearly, that's not your experience, and I respect that, but that doesn't make it a "garbage tire"... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.