Milestar Patagonia Tires—Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
Milestar Patagona M/T tires have been suggested to me. https://www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/

huwrsmjnpw7za34lk3pn.jpg

I've searched but don't see any reviews on this forum. If there are and I just missed them links would be appreciated.

Northridge 4X4 thinks a lot of these tires. Apparently so do many offroaders in the PNW and in the South with its greasy mud. Four Wheeler tested them in Moab, Wyoming and South Dakota and gave a thumbs up. Forum reviews tend to be positive and the prices are quite good, e.g., a Milestar Patagonia 315/75R16 D load rated MT tire typically sells for $200-215 ea. compared to $260-320 for a similar size from one of the "name brands."

Does anyone on this forum have experience with them? I am interested in first-hand reports of mounting or balancing issues, highway handling, offroad performance, durability and resistance to trail damage, and longevity.

I am particularly interested in the 315/75R16 and 315/70R17 sizes.

I realize that these tires are manufactured overseas for Tireco, Inc., a private label tire marketer and distributor founded in 1972 and headquartered in Southern California. Although I would prefer to purchase tires manufactured within the U.S, I am not particularly interested in Buy American jingoism because that's just politics and has nothing to do with the tires themselves.

What say you?

I just picked up a set of these in 315/70/17 from Americas Tire this week. I paid $196/tire. Still have mixed feeling on the looks, but they're starting to grow on me. I've heard nothing but good things about these tires and the price was right. I'm going to try and get them mounted on the Jeep this weekend. I'll report back when I get some miles on them.

IMG_20181218_180353.jpgIMG_20181222_094522.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sj's TJ
Not as "pretty" as the STT Pro. I'm sure you wish the brand name wasn't so huge.

Do they have white outline letters on the other side? That would be a billboard for sure.

At $196 for a 35, they seem hard to beat if they work even if they are fugly.

I’m actually looking at a set of 37s for my truck. But they’re the A/T R. Same thing, great price for a set of 4 and no reviews. 50k warranty as well. I guess no reviews are better than bad reviews!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine from Simple Tire, at a great price delivered to the house. Naturally have whoever balances them take their sweet time doing so. Here’s what they look like after about 3k miles on them. Not really noisy at all, and a lot of people look at them when you’re parked. Self cleaning requires you to spin them pretty good, and they grip hard on pavement if it’s dry. Wet pavement driving is good, but stopping quickly can get you in trouble fast.
Overall, I like them, but I have not really tested them very hard. Air pressure is at 28.

C39FF118-B8DA-4B5B-BA18-91C0AAF592C7.jpeg

4AB8045E-0F1D-40E5-9309-86A82F2903C4.jpeg

A848FD9B-61C4-48E0-813A-C3A0EDCD5F26.jpeg

I have a couple friends who race and wheel on them, and sell them. They are well priced, perform well. I don't like the look personally, but that sounds vain. :) Also not made in the USA if that's pertinent to you.

I hear they do much better in sand than regular MTs. Sounds like a great option, similar to Ridge Grappler and Duratrac.

I like Nittos personally, super strong, last a long time.

In fact, just got a set of KOH-Spec sticky 40s. You can't buy these.

b4bf2366408f048b04501d58f08bc778.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

. . . They are well priced, perform well. I don't like the look personally, but that sounds vain. :)

Not vain at all. The logo is large and obtrusive.

Based on the reviews so far, if Tireco made the tire look better it would probably sell better and for more money.

I am very tempted to give them a try. We'll see how the stock market does next week.

Not vain at all. The logo is large and obtrusive.

Based on the reviews so far, if Tireco made the tire look better it would probably sell better and for more money.

I am very tempted to give them a try. We'll see how the stock market does next week.

I am very tempted as well. You can get them through Walmart for $149 each for 33’s or Simple Tire for $174. Either way, great deal and on tire that performs well based on reviews.

Reactions: Ephry73
Tire Easy. I can get a set of 33 m/t and 37 a/tr for 1500 bucks shipped. Pulling the trigger after taxes lol

I got mine from Simple Tire, at a great price delivered to the house. Naturally have whoever balances them take their sweet time doing so. Here’s what they look like after about 3k miles on them. Not really noisy at all, and a lot of people look at them when you’re parked. Self cleaning requires you to spin them pretty good, and they grip hard on pavement if it’s dry. Wet pavement driving is good, but stopping quickly can get you in trouble fast.
Overall, I like them, but I have not really tested them very hard. Air pressure is at 28.

View attachment 68898

View attachment 68899

View attachment 68900
I'm glad you brought up the wet pavement braking. I had occasion to work on a rig that I had to test drive after with them on it and we had a light drizzle. I have never locked up 37's so many times during normal driving just doing normal stopping, not trying to short stop or test the brakes. Just normal stuff and they were pretty scary how easily they skidded when the pavement was damp.

Reactions: Fixer6
Wally world has a great deal on those, though I would not let wally install them. I read some reviews on the walmart site and they were positive. Side note: I did not buy them but looked into them back in the spring but found zero reviews.

I'm glad you brought up the wet pavement braking. I had occasion to work on a rig that I had to test drive after with them on it and we had a light drizzle. I have never locked up 37's so many times during normal driving just doing normal stopping, not trying to short stop or test the brakes. Just normal stuff and they were pretty scary how easily they skidded when the pavement was damp.

Thanks for that.

Where I live it rains frequently from Thanksgiving to April, sometimes daily for two weeks at a time, and offroading in the local foothills and mountains from December to March always means snow.

Would I be out of line by extrapolating your observations on Milestar Patagonia wet weather performance under braking into a thumbs down for my LJ that is soon to be equipped with the 16" big brake kit and Black Magic pads?

My first thought when I saw the Patagonias was that the way the tread blocks are formed, these will wear very similar to the Falken Wildpeaks that were popular for a short time a few years ago before they turned into slicks. Especially that center section.

e84b8988624fb2a1e5eed26e3aa0b8d2.jpg
34a6c873ae01b2a9815d7ecfebdd1ef2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Queticon
The Falken Wildpeaks had minimal siping so no wonder they turned into slicks. The Patagonia's appear to have more.

Regardless of what tires I buy next, I still have the siping tool that I purchased many years ago and have used many times on worn but not quite worn out tires to restore a bit of performance during the last miles of their lives.

The Falken Wildpeaks had minimal siping so no wonder they turned into slicks. The Patagonia's appear to have more.

Regardless of what tires I buy next, I still have the siping tool that I purchased many years ago and have used many times on worn but not quite worn out tires to restore a bit of performance during the last miles of their lives.
I was thinking more about how the edges of the tread blocks slope away. As the tire wears, that face will only get larger while the voids become smaller. Compare that to the STT pro in the post above. The biting edge is much sharper. All tires do this to some degree, but the Patagonias look like they may do it worse than other options.

I have used Cooper tires for years and would purchase a set of STT Pros in a heartbeat BUT 35's are only available with E load ratings which I am trying to avoid.

I am curious about the Milestar Patagonia because they are relatively little known in comparison to other brands, the few reviews are mostly positive, and the price point is attractive. At some point I may do some cost per mile estimations but for now I'm just encouraging discussion about them and gathering information.

I will be purchasing tires after someone buys the Mickey Thompson's I have for sale here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...s-are-also-available-as-a-package-deal.16474/

We seemed to have received tons of rain shortly after I mounted mine. Bumper to bumper traffic, mixed with an over abundance of “NDF’s” (Non-Driving Fools) makes my tolerance of stupidity flare up on occasion (daily). As far as I’m concerned there are two main rules to driving. Pay attention, and keep up. Not to go on a rant or anything, but if double digit speeds cause you to lose control of your bowels, scream at the top of your lungs, shake like you’re the one with a death wobble, or go into convulsions like you’re having an out of body experience, for God’s sakes Stay out of the left hand lane, and get off your phone. I don’t want to hear “that’s what insurance is for” when it could have been easily avoided to begin with.
The tires are really pretty dang good on sand, mud, dry pavement, rocks, and cutting across the golf course. I’ve got BFG KO2’s on my F150, and my daughter runs the new Falken Wildpeaks on her Libby, and I like the Milestars better than either of of those. They don’t sing very loud at all either.

We seemed to have received tons of rain shortly after I mounted mine. Bumper to bumper traffic, mixed with an over abundance of “NDF’s” (Non-Driving Fools) . . .
The tires are really pretty dang good on sand, mud, dry pavement, rocks, and cutting across the golf course. I’ve got BFG KO2’s on my F150, and my daughter runs the new Falken Wildpeaks on her Libby, and I like the Milestars better than either of of those. They don’t sing very loud at all either.

How about hard stops on wet roads? You mention that they are good on sand, mud, dry pavement, rocks and golf courses but nothing specific about wet pavement.