Milestar Patagonia Tires—Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Sounds like they perform well. But after seeing (hearing) that youtube vid of the guy with some miles on them. And the highway noise they make. I waived off from buying a set.

I was pointed in that direction. Everyone raves about their street performance. But only one vid ive seen with sound and some miles on them on the highway. And it didn't sound good.

Patagonias aren't good at anything. They only "perform well" if they aren't being asked to perform.

Meanwhile, except for deep soft snow, I still really like my MTRs.

We towed our Jeep from KY to AZ, where we base camped for 15 weeks and traveled a total of 16,000 miles on the trip with the Jeep in tow. We logged a few hundred off-road miles and drove the Jeep a total of around 2000 miles during our stay. The tread is showing no wear and I will rotate soon. I might add that we ran trails that recommended minimum 35” tires and front and rear lockers with 31x10.50-15 size tires on a ‘98 TJ with a Detroit Tru-Trac in the rear diff. We encountered zero issues and won the hearts of many off-roaders running 37”-40” tires and lockers in both diffs. All I can say is, the tires performed beautifully. Aired down to 15 lbs. they were unstoppable.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Only watch the first 5 or 6 minutes. Is this bullshit? A crowned tire?

Basically they are saying that the milestar Patagonias are a crowned tire. That you shouldn't run aired down on the street. And that might be why some people are reporting uneven tread wear and road noise.

And yes. I know these folks are tools. ;)

• Face Palm
Reactions: tworley

Basically they are saying that the milestar Patagonias are a crowned tire. That you shouldn't run aired down on the street. And that might be why some people are reporting uneven tread wear and road noise.

But I don’t think they are going to run them on their ultra 4 car

Wouldn’t it be something if they won KoH, lol

We towed our Jeep from KY to AZ, where we base camped for 15 weeks and traveled a total of 16,000 miles on the trip with the Jeep in tow. We logged a few hundred off-road miles and drove the Jeep a total of around 2000 miles during our stay. The tread is showing no wear and I will rotate soon. I might add that we ran trails that recommended minimum 35” tires and front and rear lockers with 31x10.50-15 size tires on a ‘98 TJ with a Detroit Tru-Trac in the rear diff. We encountered zero issues and won the hearts of many off-roaders running 37”-40” tires and lockers in both diffs. All I can say is, the tires performed beautifully. Aired down to 15 lbs. they were unstoppable.

Those weren't trails that really required 35s and lockers as a minimum. Those were trails where 31s and a rear LSD were sufficient.

Litebrite?

200.gif

And yes. I know these folks are tools. ;)

That still doesn't explain the severe lack of traction off-road.

You a betting man? I'm not generally but I do enjoy a very favorable odds bet and that's one I'll make.
No, and definitely wouldn’t bet on them.

To clarify I am not advocating that they win.

Although I was surprised to see Gerald helping them.

Reactions: Daryl
Why does it always have to go this way? Why?
At every stage of my build, I've been places where the bigger builds were surprised to see me. It didn't take me long to figure out that there wasn't anything terribly unique about my Jeep or anything special about my driving skills.

And the same to you. If you can explain my two videos to be something other than a difference between tires, I would like to read it.
The tire were not aired down to 8 PSI. They weren’t even flexing in the video. They appeared to be running at street pressure.

. . . can someone answer my question? Does a crowned tire exist? And is it recommended that you not run them aired down?

Yes, crowned tires do exist in the sense that all tires have "crown plies."

anatomy.webp

What is a crowned tire?
The Crown is the center tread area of the tire and includes all of the large grooves/water channels that run along the circumference of the tire. However, the crown does not include the outermost tread block of the tire.

TireDiagram-CrownShoulderSidewall-436x285.jpg

http://www.sonsio.com/resources/tire-diagram/

At least that's what Google just taught me.

I'm not sure that I would take any technical advice from Lite Brite or her cohort.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Apparition