Millennials are worthless

Yeah, he only watched Jerry Springer...and Judge Judy.

I think Aristophanes' work would fit in with those particular venues, but it's better on stage. I'm surprised that the Millennial generation isn't more familiar with it, to be honest.

Call me a whatever you like but I think the people who use the term snowflake with any level of seriousness are the ones who get offended easily. Anyway, each generation thinks this way on the new ones; it's cyclical.

Hippies still hold the trophy on being soft, unable to cope, and snowflakey.

Poor millenials, they never had a chance.

Hippie generation grandparents + consumerist techy parents + high standard of living + social media = soft, self absorbed, impatient, narcissists.

Reactions: Travis
The whole idea that college is some magical key to great wealth is a myth that's been perpetuated for a long time. It's a story that's rooted in the noble idea that more education leading to better opportunity, but people just don't talk enough about how much it matters as to what area you aim for in terms of what you actually make for an income.

There's tons of jobs of careers out there where a masters or a PHD will still barely get you above $40-50k annually, whereas other areas that require almost nothing more than a high school degree will get you well into the $70k range.
https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-and-worst-paying-masters-degrees
https://clark.com/employment-military/high-paying-jobs-no-degree/

My Father did not go to college but yet was a very successful business man. Growing up we fixed everything ourselves even though we had the money to pay someone. I learned a lot from him and my uncles and cousins who were all blue collar workers. My Father wanted his three children, myself and two sisters, to go to college, we did and he paid for it so we were debt free coming out of college. I was the first male in my family to ever graduate from college. I have had a successful career in the I.T. Field for over 25 years as a Network engineer, but I can still turn a wrench better than most dealership mechanics, weld, plumb, do electrical work, drywall, and carpentry. I can fix anything that goes wrong in my house without having to hire someone except for maybe a heating and A/C problem but I'd still give it a try before calling someone. I have a full shop full of tools and equipment. I've rebuilt engines and restored cars. Yes, my degree makes me more money than the average person in my field but most of the new comers are dumb as a hoe handle and don't care about their quality of work and if you point out they did something wrong or could have done it a better way, they go crying to H.R. My Step-Son, even though he is a good son and I consider him to be my own, doesn't know which side of the wrench or screwdriver to use. That's not because I didn't try to teach him, it just because he doesn't care. His attitude is why get your hands dirty when you can pay someone to do it for you. God, it frustrates me. He get's no pleasure or pride out of fixing something. He understands nothing of mechanical things. I guess in the long wrong you can only teach someone that wants to learn. If you can hear me Dad up there in Heaven, "Thanks for what you taught me and the work ethic you installed in me!!!" Can I get a thumbs up on this???? Have a great weekend everybody!!!

Oh an not everyone needs to go to college, but I did finish my doctorate 2 years ago and I have NO student debt. No one says you need a $100K undergrad education, my entire undergrad was $22k and that included $17K to go to Ireland for a year doing a study abroad. It was cheaper to go to Ireland than to pay non resident tuition to the University of Oregon by $3k that year. I am sorry but U of O is not worth $80k education in the late 90's, fuck you could go to an ivy league school for that money back then. I earned my Mongomery GI bill and used that to pay for most of my undergrad, I also earned my post 9/11 GI bill to help with my Doctorate.
I agree. I worked my way through University and National Guard graduating with very little debt. I explained that to my children. 3 of 4 so far have finished their University studies with little or no debt working their way through.
Those college students who have problems think that they have to have a student loan to pay for everything and refuse to work a side job, party every weekend and want someone else to pay. My sons friend was buying a car, computers, and so many other money sucking things. Graduated with out working and with 100000 debt. Now that is a big anchor to have around your neck when trying to get started in life. Plus the car he got he is still -40,000 to pay off. What does a college student need with a brand new 60,000 car?

I have a friend that thinks the only problem with millennials is that they are lazy. I see part of the problem is that they are narcissistic, search for instant gratification, don't see the long term, think only about themselves, selfish, Life revolves around facebook, use facebook to stalk the neighbors, etc. Its funny, his kids wont visit their mom (his wife) in the hospital, she just had major back surgery, my friend goes to babysit their kids after leaving the hospital so they can go on dates (1Daughter is recently divorced, dating 4 different guys, traveling across the country with them, but says she is not having sex) or its too inconvient to go let his dogs out to potty because its too far to drive while he is at the hospital. He is wore out mentally and physically and the kids keep wanting more...

Reactions: mde8965 and Starrs
I love hearing people’s sap stories about how the Govt or somebody else has fucked their life up...when they arnt working, arnt looking for work, and arnt planning on going to school. Is college for everybody or needed? Definitely not. Will it give you a chance that you otherwise wouldn’t have? Definitely yes. College has made it possible for me to enjoy jeep parts...so there is that I suppose haha. We all get out of life what we put in. If you want to do nothing...you’ll get nothing. Pretty simple logic to follow. As far as student loans go...I had them, and got them paid off ASAP. You just have to know how to restrain from making big purchases until your loans are paid in full.

I have a friend that thinks the only problem with millennials is that they are lazy. I see part of the problem is that they are narcissistic, search for instant gratification, don't see the long term, think only about themselves, selfish, Life revolves around facebook, use facebook to stalk the neighbors, etc. Its funny, his kids wont visit their mom (his wife) in the hospital, she just had major back surgery, my friend goes to babysit their kids after leaving the hospital so they can go on dates (1Daughter is recently divorced, dating 4 different guys, traveling across the country with them, but says she is not having sex) or its too inconvient to go let his dogs out to potty because its too far to drive while he is at the hospital. He is wore out mentally and physically and the kids keep wanting more...

That's not a generational problem in general; that's just a couple of bad children and poor parenting. No offense to you, but if your friend is in that kind of situation and just says "they're lazy" then the real issue is that he's been too permissive with his kids and that they've been directed to make poor decisions with themselves and their life. I see it all the time; I have an acquaintance that does the exact same thing, to the same results.

You just have to know how to restrain from making big purchases until your loans are paid in full.

You understand prioritization and logical planning that works towards a clearly-defined goal. Most don't; that's the difference.

Reactions: gregc291 and Starrs
That's not a generational problem in general; that's just a couple of bad children and poor parenting. No offense to you, but if your friend is in that kind of situation and just says "they're lazy" then the real issue is that he's been too permissive with his kids and that they've been directed to make poor decisions with themselves and their life. I see it all the time; I have an acquaintance that does the exact same thing, to the same results.

You understand prioritization and logical planning that works towards a clearly-defined goal. Most don't; that's the difference.
Very true and a good way to put it.

Starrs said:
You just have to know how to restrain from making big purchases until your loans are paid in full.

I agree completely. My kids are doing well, despite their parents. They're living on their own, and off my "payroll". I don't think it was anything special my wife and I did, other than letting them know that they would have to support themselves after high school. In today's world, we used a free range type of parenting, but there was accountability for school work, chores around the house, and certain items they were responsible to purchase.

I saw the biggest change in each when they got their first minimum wage job while in high school. Earning a paycheck ignited a spark.

My wife and I are thankful every day that our kids are doing well, especially when two of my wife's co-worker each lost a child to suicide, and another co-worker has a child going through another stint of rehab.

College is only worth what you study and how you build your resume during those 4 years. I know people at my school who can't find a job, even coming from a well known University, because they studied something that is hard to apply in the real world and have no prior work experience. Getting a job right out of undergrad without an internship or at least some applicable experience can be tough. I'm not sure if this was the same a few years ago. More college graduates simply means more competition for the same amount of jobs.

I also know people who are coming out of undergrad making well over $200k first year out. They studied the right subject, are motivated, and are very smart. There are very very few people making anywhere near that amount though.

Last edited:
My Father did not go to college but yet was a very successful business man. Growing up we fixed everything ourselves even though we had the money to pay someone. I learned a lot from him and my uncles and cousins who were all blue collar workers. My Father wanted his three children, myself and two sisters, to go to college, we did and he paid for it so we were debt free coming out of college. I was the first male in my family to ever graduate from college. I have had a successful career in the I.T. Field for over 25 years as a Network engineer, but I can still turn a wrench better than most dealership mechanics, weld, plumb, do electrical work, drywall, and carpentry. I can fix anything that goes wrong in my house without having to hire someone except for maybe a heating and A/C problem but I'd still give it a try before calling someone. I have a full shop full of tools and equipment. I've rebuilt engines and restored cars. Yes, my degree makes me more money than the average person in my field but most of the new comers are dumb as a hoe handle and don't care about their quality of work and if you point out they did something wrong or could have done it a better way, they go crying to H.R. My Step-Son, even though he is a good son and I consider him to be my own, doesn't know which side of the wrench or screwdriver to use. That's not because I didn't try to teach him, it just because he doesn't care. His attitude is why get your hands dirty when you can pay someone to do it for you. God, it frustrates me. He get's no pleasure or pride out of fixing something. He understands nothing of mechanical things. I guess in the long wrong you can only teach someone that wants to learn. If you can hear me Dad up there in Heaven, "Thanks for what you taught me and the work ethic you installed in me!!!" Can I get a thumbs up on this???? Have a great weekend everybody!!!

Well said and that is simply the jest of it......it's ALL in how one is brought up......a toughness instilled deep within......everything is taught at an early age, period.

Well said and that is simply the jest of it......it's ALL in how one is brought up......a toughness instilled deep within......everything is taught at an early age, period.

I would disagree, there. I learn things every day, and I'm no longer at a young age; often, I acquire new fundamental understandings, and I regularly find new interpretations of those already held. What I learned at a young age, although both seminal and valuable, is neither greater nor lesser in importance than that which I learn now.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Im 48 and a full time firefighter for a reference point... here is my most recent wtf millennial story.

We reponded to a MVA on the highway the other day. 22yr old kid had run/ bounced his car down the division barriers in the high speed lane and was sitting in his car waiting for help. We got on scene and blocked traffic and approched the car to investigate. Car was running and he said "he couldnt turn it off". I said "open your hood"... he looks at me with a slight look of confusion and panic.... "i dont know how to do that, let mee Google it", and he pulls out his phone. Im usually very calm and understanding and dont swear at my "customers/ patients"... but i couldnt help it. Car a wizzing by at 80mph and we are in the high speed lane with our asses hangin out. I say "dont you even fucking open that phone... wtf are you doing driving a car when you can even open the fucking hood". So i looked at the kid, pointed to the very obvious lever for the hood and said "pull that lever, you know, the one with the fucking picture of a hood open on it". He was embarrassed at that point. We disconnected the battery, car shut off, end of story....

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!???????

Im 48 and a full time firefighter for a reference point... here is my most recent wtf millennial story.

We reponded to a MVA on the highway the other day. 22yr old kid had run/ bounced his car down the division barriers in the high speed lane and was sitting in his car waiting for help. We got on scene and blocked traffic and approched the car to investigate. Car was running and he said "he couldnt turn it off". I said "open your hood"... he looks at me with a slight look of confusion and panic.... "i dont know how to do that, let mee Google it", and he pulls out his phone. Im usually very calm and understanding and dont swear at my "customers/ patients"... but i couldnt help it. Car a wizzing by at 80mph and we are in the high speed lane with our asses hangin out. I say "dont you even fucking open that phone... wtf are you doing driving a car when you can even open the fucking hood". So i looked at the kid, pointed to the very obvious lever for the hood and said "pull that lever, you know, the one with the fucking picture of a hood open on it". He was embarrassed at that point. We disconnected the battery, car shut off, end of story....

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!???????

Yeah, seriously. I try to buy a beer here and there for the local firemen and police when I see them, and they have the exact same kind of stories. Heard one about a woman - 30's - that called the police because she couldn't figure out how to fill up her new car, and then filled a complaint because the officer that responded to the "emergency" told her that she shouldn't be calling the police for something like that.

Growing up I had an erector set that I would build different things with it. It taught me to use my hands and read blueprints. Erector Sets got replaced with the video gaming consoles and it all went down here from there. I make my living in the Technology Field and hate every minute of it.

There is an easier way to afford college if that is what one desires. It is called service in the military. A word of caution if one chooses this route. You will not be pampered or considered 'special' unless you truly possess unique skills. You will be held accountable and responsible for your actions.

Reactions: Long Rider
I’m GenX. I find it difficult to get used to working with some Millennials. I think it’s mostly the ones who’s parents believed hard in the “everyone gets a trophy” parenting style. And did not ever teaching them or letting them learn how to fail. And instead taught them that no matter what they did they were the best.
Biggest issues I have with some Millennials are:
1) Show up at 9, dick around on their personal cell phone half the day, take an hour for lunch and 2 20 minute breaks...and head for the door at 4:30. (These are salaried employees)
2) the work they do gets done fast but is sloppy, rushed and just passable.
3) Constant whining that they need to make as much $ as the guy or gal with 20yrs or more experience when they only have put in 3-5yrs.
4) expect praise for doing every little thing that is part of their job.
5) rude to everyone. Only care about what affects them.

The above certainly does not apply to every millennial I work around. Some are actually nice to work with, have a strong desire to learn and work hard, and are contentious. But I would say that’s only 25%.

For me my parents were blue collar and very lower middle class. There was very little money saved for college. I started working within a week of turning 16. Graduated high school and went to work for a very good company earning minimum wage. Worked there 2 years and was able to get into a program with my employer where they would reimburse me for tuition at the local college for classes related to my field (financial services) as long as class grade was C or better and I was not on probation performance wise.

So I worked full time and went to college at night 3 days a week and held a second job chucking newspapers to pay the rent (small apartment two roommates) and buy books. It took me 8 years to get through college and I was 27 when I graduated (manga cum laude with double degree in accounting and finance). I had almost no social life until after I graduated. I was only earning something like $12 an hour when I graduated too in 1992)

But I stayed with that company for another 15 years and was promoted several times. Only reason I left that company in 2007 was because I had been RIFed at least 3 times and felt like loyalty was dead. Luckily I landed with another good company and Today I am making good money (6 figures) and plan to retire at 62 debt free. That said the world has changed and seniority and loyalty mean nothing. I know I could very well be laid off (RIFed) at any time and if so my retirement plans will all go to hell. So I max out contributions to my 401k etc.

Ironically my first employer and my current employer are going to be merging later this year. No idea how that’s going to shake out for this guy who has combined nearly 36 years invested and I’m too young to retire at just shy of 54yo.

Point is nobody handed me anything and told me I can do whatever I wanted and be successful. I started at the bottom and clawed my way up over several years. To me many Milennials just don’t have the patience or work ethic to do that. And cannot live within their means.

Last edited: