Millennials are worthless

My wife and I worked hard and saved to get my "millenial" daughter through college debt-free. She graduated near the top of her class and was accepted to all four grad schools she applied to, and will be one of only six (SIX!) students out of thousands of applicants to the Doctorate of Audiology program. Her goal is to work with deaf children (she also has her ASL degree) and senior citizens who suffer from stroke-related communication disorders. I told her I would also pay for grad school as long as she never treats anyone who says that millennials are "worthless". And republicans. And Trump supporters too. I'm quite sure this post will be banned, but referring to an entire group in the pejorative due to their age or any other factor that is out of their control is ridiculous.

Lmfao... good thing as a 26yr army guy or a 19yr firefighter i didnt follow your way of thinking. But good for you for standing your ground.

Unpopular opinion: You'll find character attributes you don't like lurking in persons from all generations. The fascination with dropping the word millennial to cling to some sort of superiority looks like an exhausting way to look at the world in my humble opinion.
Maybe unpopular, but very true. Denigrating a person for something they have no control over is how all the worst "-isms" start.

For me my parents were blue collar and very lower middle class. There was very little money saved for college. I started working within a week of turning 16. Graduated high school and went to work for a very good company earning minimum wage. Worked there 2 years and was able to get into a program with my employer where they would reimburse me for tuition at the local college for classes related to my field (financial services) as long as class grade was C or better and I was not on probation performance wise.

So I worked full time and went to college at night 3 days a week and held a second job chucking newspapers to pay the rent (small apartment two roommates) and buy books. It took me 8 years to get through college and I was 27 when I graduated (manga cum laude with double degree in accounting and finance). I had almost no social life until after I graduated. I was only earning something like $12 an hour when I graduated too in 1992)

Man great story, sounds like we grew up in the same house. Grandparent’s generation came from Italy with nothing, no education, parents made it as far as high school. I started working before 16 and went non-stop, borrowed the max to educate myself, was a bit of a wild weed as a kid so I barely squeaked into college then law school, tried as I might I didn’t do all that well & when combined with zero connections, family, political or otherwise, I was unable to get a job in the field after graduation at 25, still left home, spent the next 5 years in practice out on my own in various forms before finding my first ‘job’, also waited on tables at night to close the loop on my nut, was rough, didn’t get my first ‘paycheck’ until I was about 30. Suffered some significant setbacks along the way, early 40s I lost the job I thought I’d retire at, had to regroup & start over, then about a year later the wife went sideways, that was another financial beat down, 100% worth it but a beat down nonetheless, just last year the business faltered & I had to again plot a new course at 53. Been a struggle, but I never expected it to be easy, that’s not how my parents raised me. Life is rough & the world is a brutal place & you’ve got to fight your way through it. There’s been a good bit of success mixed in there too so while it’s all good I don’t take anything for granted.

Maybe unpopular, but very true. Denigrating a person for something they have no control over is how all the worst "-isms" start.

millennials most certainly didn’t invent being sniveling entitled idiots, they’re present in every generational cohort. Do they have a higher percentage of them, I don’t know, don’t care either, the only relevant thing is that the rest of us are stuck with them whatever their age may be.

My Step-Son, who starts college in the fall, was lucky enough that his Father gave him his G.I Bill from the Coast Guard after 20 years of service. He will have his college paid for and receive a housing allowance which is going to bank while living at home with us. He is working a $12.00 and hour job in the evenings unloading trucks for a local hardware chain store. He already did a 2 year tour of duty at McDonald and managed to save $8,000. We figure with his housing allowance and working, aside from car insurance, gas, cell phone, meals out and personal grooming he will save between $60,000 and $70,000 in four years. I told him after that, he either gets out on his own or starts paying rent. Oh and I rebuilt a 2003 Buick Regal for him to use as well as another backup car that I owned. I don't have any children of my own and never wanted any, so my goal was to give him such a good start that I can enjoy my years I have left on this earth.

Unpopular opinion: You'll find character attributes you don't like lurking in persons from all generations. The fascination with dropping the word millennial to cling to some sort of superiority looks like an exhausting way to look at the world in my humble opinion.
I wish the OP had titled this thread differently. To blankety call out a generation as worthless is harsh.

This thread reminds me of the thread where the old person says “I had to walk 5 miles to school in a blizzard every day”. “You don’t know how easy you’ve got it”. Every generation wants their kids to have it a bit easier than they did and do better than they did. No problems there. Problems I have as I said in my earlier post is the “everyone gets a trophy” parenting style that gives these young generations expectations that they just have to show up and they will have the world by the tail because mom and dad taught them that the world revolves around them.

Reactions: Trailrated TJ
I personally don't believe in the "Everyone gets a trophy theory" at all. In fact I think it;s wrong and I hate it. Unfortunately this is the time frame we live in now. All I want is my Step-Son to get through college and get out of my house so I can enjoy what little time I will left on this earth with my wife.

Reactions: Notime2d8
I wish the OP had titled this thread differently. To blankety call out a generation as worthless is harsh.

This thread reminds me of the thread where the old person says “I had to walk 5 miles to school in a blizzard every day”. “You don’t know how easy you’ve got it”. Every generation wants their kids to have it a bit easier than they did and do better than they did. No problems there. Problems I have as I said in my earlier post is the “everyone gets a trophy” parenting style that gives these young generations expectations that they just have to show up and they will have the world by the tail because mom and dad taught them that the world revolves around them.
I did, I called it "worth less" as having less value, a moderator changed the title twice.

I did, I called it "worth less" as having less value, a moderator changed the title twice.
LOL. the moderator is Chris. And I think he falls into the Milennial category age wise. But worth less as in net worth I agree with totally. Some of it their fault, some of it not (society expectation that everyone has a college degree).

Man great story, sounds like we grew up in the same house. Grandparent’s generation came from Italy with nothing, no education, parents made it as far as high school. I started working before 16 and went non-stop, borrowed the max to educate myself, was a bit of a wild weed as a kid so I barely squeaked into college then law school, tried as I might I didn’t do all that well & when combined with zero connections, family, political or otherwise, I was unable to get a job in the field after graduation at 25, still left home, spent the next 5 years in practice out on my own in various forms before finding my first ‘job’, also waited on tables at night to close the loop on my nut, was rough, didn’t get my first ‘paycheck’ until I was about 30. Suffered some significant setbacks along the way, early 40s I lost the job I thought I’d retire at, had to regroup & start over, then about a year later the wife went sideways, that was another financial beat down, 100% worth it but a beat down nonetheless, just last year the business faltered & I had to again plot a new course at 53. Been a struggle, but I never expected it to be easy, that’s not how my parents raised me. Life is rough & the world is a brutal place & you’ve got to fight your way through it. There’s been a good bit of success mixed in there too so while it’s all good I don’t take anything for granted.

millennials most certainly didn’t invent being sniveling entitled idiots, they’re present in every generational cohort. Do they have a higher percentage of them, I don’t know, don’t care either, the only relevant thing is that the rest of us are stuck with them whatever their age may be.

Copy that Willy. Same here.

Its cheaper to be a sugar daddy or just buy a hooker than get a wife, I had a girlfriend who wanted HALF, kept calling me her husband! WTF we were only living in SIN! I was lucky and smart enough to go back to Alaska and leave her ass in Utah. She was nice to look at but ruined the perception when she opened her mouth. She was angry at everything and everyone. Glad I sent her packing, I had to sell my house to get rid of her, it would have been paid off next year, but it was worth the loss. Tim

Came across a relevant XKCD comic and figured it was worth posting here:

Not defending Millenials but unfortunately they are also growing up in the age of social media where everything is displayed, shared, viewed, etc. etc. I think every generation has it's scale of representatives and just like the music you listened to growing up.. it will always be better than what comes after. Kinda like our TJ's (see what I did there). But I will say that I think it really is getting harder and harder to find the newer generation of kids wanting to get their hands dirty and learn technical skills when many of them stay indoors in front of some kind of electronic device. Fine and dandy if you're planning the Mars mission I suppose but just another gripe of mine as I do get older and see how things are today compared with when I was younger. This is of course what's around me. Hard to quantify the country as a whole but sure is fun to rag on them. Will be a lot of tattoo regret.

Do you feel that is a reliable source? Remember, in the USA we don't have the "fairness doctrine", so you can pretty much say whatever you want to push an agenda. I am not buying any of it. I think people live at a VERY high standard of living today compared to 15 years ago. Heck you almost don't need a pulse to survive now. It is crazy how easy life is. Just click on something and it is there the next day. Wow, life is so hard. lol Sure! Study history for sure. We wouldn't last a day in the 1700's.

Growing up I had an erector set that I would build different things with it. It taught me to use my hands and read blueprints. Erector Sets got replaced with the video gaming consoles and it all went down here from there. I make my living in the Technology Field and hate every minute of it.
Me too. Never read any blueprints but I’ve always been able to ‘see’ how things go together. My fingers would be raw turning all those little nuts and screws. Mine had an electric motor so I built cranes and drawbridges.

They are better educated because more of them go to college, but more of them also graduate college with degrees that still leave them unemployable. Therefore they wasted 4 years, took on massive debts, and are getting the same job they could have gotten with a high school diploma. I see many people taking their kids to schools around the country on trips and then the kid picking their dream school. The cost of a similar education out of state versus in state is between 2 and 4 times higher. That's a serious waste in my opinion.

Boomers went into the manufacturing world right out of high school. That manufacturing is now in other countries. When they raise the minimum wage to $15/hour, you'll see more kiosk and online ordering apps and even fewer jobs for general studies majors. We need to fix majors and the types of education people receive not wages.

I tell kids if they want to get rich they need to go into the trades or STEM college courses. If you're starting salary for your chosen degree path is <$40,000/year out of college then you'll never get ahead of the debt; so don't get in it. Most trades will be around $40,000 a year 4 years out of high school and you'll learn it on the job or a 2 year degree that incurs minimal if any debt.

The kid across the street from me owns his own landscaping business and was hiring people when he was in high school because he needed people with licenses to drive the trucks he owned since he was too young to drive.

I think a lot of problems would be fixed by tying student loan amounts to the degree field starting salary and taking away the federal backing of student loans. Then give people a tax credit for education expenses so it's easier to work your way through school. I would also remove general studies class requirement from STEM field degree programs. I loved the easy A's I got, but they were a waste of time and money for me that would have been better spent on classes in my field. I could have replaced my Anthropology class with Turbomachinery or my Local Government class with another Materials class.

Last edited: