Millennials are worthless

In fairness to a lot of them, they are crushed with student loans that are due to government making sure everyone can go therefore POS colleges raised tuition to the point they can't be paid by that generation at all. I think every generation in our country have gotten more and more snowflake like however. I am a Gen X'er. The Gordon Gekko generation. hence my screen name. :)

Reactions: gregc291
In fairness to a lot of them, they are crushed with student loans that are due to government making sure everyone can go therefore POS colleges raised tuition to the point they can't be paid by that generation at all. I think every generation in our country have gotten more and more snowflake like however. I am a Gen X'er. The Gordon Gekko generation. hence my screen name. :)

I had assumed that your stage name was "Gigi."

My step-son is a millennial and I pray for him everyday. He does have a good work ethic, but he thinks he is going to go to college and get out and land some $100,000 per year job managing people when he has no idea what he's doing. I chose not to have children of my own so they didn't grow up in the f'd up world!!!

Reactions: chad

Call me a whatever you like but I think the people who use the term snowflake with any level of seriousness are the ones who get offended easily. Anyway, each generation thinks this way on the new ones; it's cyclical.

My step-son is a millennial and I pray for him everyday. He does have a good work ethic, but he thinks he is going to go to college and get out and land some $100,000 per year job managing people when he has no idea what he's doing. I chose not to have children of my own so they didn't grow up in the f'd up world!!!

While my son is one of the first post-millennials, he's been a diesel mechanic for three years and has some sad but true stories about the millennials he has worked with. One of them is about 24 yrs old and has had 3 or 4 similar jobs at about $20 an hour and keeps quitting them because he doesn't get paid enough. Until just last year he was living at home and fortunately doesn't have any kids but somehow doesn't get paid enough and recently quit again.

I'll also add that the local technical center cost him NOTHING so no student loan, he's just a typical millennial.

I'm a millennial, just turned 30. I got a job after college in my field and been with the same company the last 7 years. All depends on your personal circumstances and opportunities created by choices you make.
Yea. That circumstance part can be a big part of it. I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2009 and finding a job was rough. I kept lowering my standards until 6 months later I ended up as a rep in a call center. I eventually moved off the floor taking calls and my degree eventually paid off by allowing me to move further up the company into a full analyst role and I do well for myself now, but those first few years sucked.

The whole idea that college is some magical key to great wealth is a myth that's been perpetuated for a long time. It's a story that's rooted in the noble idea that more education leading to better opportunity, but people just don't talk enough about how much it matters as to what area you aim for in terms of what you actually make for an income.

There's tons of jobs of careers out there where a masters or a PHD will still barely get you above $40-50k annually, whereas other areas that require almost nothing more than a high school degree will get you well into the $70k range.
https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-and-worst-paying-masters-degrees
https://clark.com/employment-military/high-paying-jobs-no-degree/

Funny enough we even see this in attitudes across Jeep generations.

The basics attributes of a society are reflected in all parts of its composition; look around and you'll find that mentality everywhere.

"Cars used to be built better." (No, in many ways, they weren't.)

"This country used to be better." (No, in many ways, it wasn't.)

"Schools used to do a better job teaching the kids." (No, in many ways, they didn't.)

"Old Coke was better than New Coke." (Actually, this is completely true.)

Yea. That circumstance part can be a big part of it. I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2009 and finding a job was rough. I kept lowering my standards until 6 months later I ended up as a rep in a call center. I eventually moved off the floor taking calls and my degree eventually paid off by allowing me to move further up the company into a full analyst role and I do well for myself now, but those first few years sucked.
No doubt, I got a good opportunity but was aided by a high placement rate with my degree program and my ability to relocate. It's not that way for everyone.

My friend's think I'm crazy bouncing around the Midwest when they all live near where we grew up the DC metro area but it's afforded me multiple opportunities and career advancement

Reactions: Equilibrium31
The basics attributes of a society are reflected in all parts of its composition; look around and you'll find that mentality everywhere.

"Cars used to be built better." (No, in many ways, they weren't.)

"This country used to be better." (No, in many ways, it wasn't.)

"Schools used to do a better job teaching the kids." (No, in many ways, they didn't.)

"Old Coke was better than New Coke." (Actually, this is completely true.)
A friend of mine who just passed away had a favorite saying, "This country went to hell when we gave the women the right to vote!" He was old enough to be cynical enough to also drive a car that had no computers...

There's tons of jobs of careers out there where a masters or a PHD will still barely get you above $40-50k annually, whereas other areas that require almost nothing more than a high school degree will get you well into the $70k range.

My sister has a PHD in psychology. Barely makes a living in OR and will never be able to pay off her student loans unless someone forgives them or she wins the lottery. My other sister has her masters and even she can barely make a living living in a very affordable state.

College can be helpful, but as you said there are plenty of jobs and careers out there where college isn't required/needed and you can easily start making $70k.

Oh an not everyone needs to go to college, but I did finish my doctorate 2 years ago and I have NO student debt. No one says you need a $100K undergrad education, my entire undergrad was $22k and that included $17K to go to Ireland for a year doing a study abroad. It was cheaper to go to Ireland than to pay non resident tuition to the University of Oregon by $3k that year. I am sorry but U of O is not worth $80k education in the late 90's, fuck you could go to an ivy league school for that money back then. I earned my Mongomery GI bill and used that to pay for most of my undergrad, I also earned my post 9/11 GI bill to help with my Doctorate.

A friend of mine who just passed away had a favorite saying, "This country went to hell when we gave the women the right to vote!" He was old enough to be cynical enough to also drive a car that had no computers...

I guess Lysistrata wasn't his favorite comedy.

My sister has a PHD in psychology. Barely makes a living in OR and will never be able to pay off her student loans unless someone forgives them or she wins the lottery. My other sister has her masters and even she can barely make a living living in a very affordable state.

College can be helpful, but as you said there are plenty of jobs and careers out there where college isn't required/needed and you can easily start making $70k.

Agree, if you go to college you need to identify programs with a high placement rate and good industry relations. There are a large number of jobs where you can earn $100k in craft disciplines in the Oil and Gas industry with a small amount of OT. Just need to learn a skill and be open to opportunities.