Milwaukee battery replacement

P man

Keister Bunny
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I have a milwaukee drill and this battery needs replaced. Cam I use any milwaukee battery? Or does it have to be the 2.0?

Screenshot_20220803-095748_Message+.jpg

Reactions: P man and L J
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
every time a batt.takes a crap on me {weed whip,drill,finish nailer,,,impact I get a knock off on amazon for bout
$15,,,seems ok...

every time a batt.takes a crap on me {weed whip,drill,finish nailer,,,impact I get a knock off on amazon for bout
$15,,,seems ok...

I've seen those but was concerned about quality and if it shits the bed is it going to take my expensive tool with it?

I've seen those but was concerned about quality and if it shits the bed is it going to take my expensive tool with it?

He covets a Tracker, you know, the cheaper version of a real Jeep and is just waiting for one more break down before he can fulfill his dream.

$15,,,seems ok...

I’ve bought one two pack of those knockoff Milwaukee batteries before either from Amazon or eBay and one seemed to work half assed and the other one wouldn’t charge after a couple uses. Sent them back for a refund.

Reactions: P man
I’ve bought one two pack of those knockoff Milwaukee batteries before either from Amazon or eBay and one seemed to work half assed and the other one wouldn’t charge after a couple uses. Sent them back for a refund.

I'm a firm believer that with most things you get what you pay for. I'm In no way saying these knock offs aren't just as good I'm saying batteries aren't something I'm personally willing to go cheap on

I'm a firm believer that with most things you get what you pay for. I'm In no way saying these knock offs aren't just as good I'm saying batteries aren't something I'm personally willing to go cheap on

I definitely won’t be buying them again. If I need a cheap battery I’ll buy a good condition used name brand.

Have had not had good results from the aftermarket Milwaukee Batteries from Amazon. Two crapped out after a couple of charges, two are so out of physical tolerances that they vibrate loose when using the tool, the rest are small capacity batteries in bigger packages to make you think they are higher amperage. Now look for two-fer sales on HD or Acme and buy the real things. With the real Milwaukee batteries you get advertised capacity and someone to go to if they crap out which hasn't occurred except in one instance. Buying them on sale makes the cost acceptable.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I found a legit guy on marketplace that has tons of genuine milwaukee batteries at decent prices. He is a legitimate business not Keith the meth head that stole them from Home Depot.

The problem with buying cheap replacement battery packs isn't just that they often suck but there is a significant risk of fire. Ive done it before but will never do it again.

One option is to take the pack apart and replace the individual cells with high quality cells from a known trusted distributor to avoid getting counterfeits. It isn't the easiest thing to do and genuine quality cells arent cheap.

lion batteries very rarely catch on fire but lipo batteries can, one is cased in metal and the other is in a plastic bag. I have had great luck with CreBest on amazon/ebay for M12 but unfortunately they don't make M18 replacements. The market is flooded with all types of 18650 cells with most being pretty decent these days. The fact is M12 and M18 cells are really middle of the road as far as 18650 performance so you're not really getting top tier or anything with Milwaukee. It's no joke, these are the cells that are used, if you rip the pack apart you can find out the specs. Milwaukee doesn't make batteries at all, they just pick the LG or Sony flavor of the week.

Li-phosphate is just one lithium ion chemistry and yes the most common types of "lion" batteries used in drill motors, cell phones, etc can and will catch fire if they are poorly manufactured. It all comes down to the internal circuit protection and generic battery cell manufacturers don't always have the best quality control. And sometimes generic or counterfeit batteries sold as having internal protection actually don't. Batteries manufactured or sold by LG, Panasonic, Samsung and etc have very high quality control and seldom catch on fire unless they are abused or improperly charged.

If you mean lifepo4 they don't catch fire almost ever. Lithium polymer or or lipo cells catch fire, they are plastic bags and small defects cause them to catch fire. They are what grounded the 777 and cause laptops and cell phones to burst into flames. They are what 99% of the news you hear about battery fires are about. Lithium Ion or lion cells don't. That's what's in the Tesla, they don't fail easily. They are what are in most older laptops and most power tools. Life or lifepo4 cells don't either, they are very new and you wont find them in many devices other than large battery backups. There are very large differences in these battery types and mixing type and manufacturer really confuses the issue.

If you mean lifepo4 they don't catch fire almost ever. Lithium polymer or or lipo cells catch fire, they are plastic bags and small defects cause them to catch fire.
All of the chemistries can be made into coins, pouches, or cylinders.