Milwaukee Tool Review: Stubby Impact 12V Fuel 3/8" Drive

I definitely wouldn't want the case for everything. Slender stuff like a 3/8" ratchet, or relatively compact stuff like a stubby impact would go just fine in my toolbox.

I'm mainly thinking saws. I have a plastic tote full of saws...circular saw, sawzall, jigsaw, various types of hand saws. The first time I need something at the bottom of the stack, it's a disaster and I end up hating to even open it up because I have to be slow and careful to not jam my hand into an exposed blade, until I devote the time to empty the whole thing out and repack it.

I think the tools like the ratchet and stubby come in soft side cases, my circular saw came in a contractor style bag. 1/2" rattle-cannon impact came in a hard case.

I will give Milwaukee credit for choosing a decently matched bag or case for the tool in the kit.

Now maybe it's been discussed here before, but why are the M12-only chargers still a thing?!?!
Buy an M18 kit? Get a charger that is dual purpose, but the M12 is this ridiculously sized M12-only thing. I'd love to see a tiny M12 charger, or just make the one basic M18/M12 charger for all kits. (There is a USB powered M12 charger in their lineup)

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
.... (There is a USB powered M12 charger in their lineup)

I have the little USB powered M12 charger. It is incredibly slow. It's main use for me is to be an M12 battery pack for my phone and ear buds.

There is an M18 version, as well.

I think the tools like the ratchet and stubby come in soft side cases, my circular saw came in a contractor style bag. 1/2" rattle-cannon impact came in a hard case.

I will give Milwaukee credit for choosing a decently matched bag or case for the tool in the kit.

Now maybe it's been discussed here before, but why are the M12-only chargers still a thing?!?!
Buy an M18 kit? Get a charger that is dual purpose, but the M12 is this ridiculously sized M12-only thing. I'd love to see a tiny M12 charger, or just make the one basic M18/M12 charger for all kits. (There is a USB powered M12 charger in their lineup)

Yes indeed. I have the original M18 usb slide on charger, but the new “Top-off” is way better. USB-A and C and a 120V inverter.

Just picked up the stubby M12 impact and it's first test was taking off the lug nuts on my camper's wheels when I needed to replace the tires. It worked flawlessly and I still had four battery LEDs after pulling all 20 lugs. I'd recommend it. I've now got the drill, driver, reciprocating and circular saws, oscillating and rotary tools. All work great.

My son has had some pretty rough luck with vehicles. His first XJ was totaled when a tree fell on it during Hurricane Ike. His second XJ was totaled when someone blew through a stop sign at the end of our street and t-boned him. He found a great deal on a Honda Accord that looked like crap but ran like a bat out of hell. One weekend he and a buddy of mine decided to replace his worn CV axles. I was working on something else probably Jeep related. Anyway, they were trying everything they could think of to get the hub nut off and just couldn't get it. I told them to try more leverage and set them up with my large breaker bar and cheater bar as I headed to Home Depot to pick up something else for my project. I wandered over to the tool section and deliberated on spending big $$ for an impact. For what ever reason, my penny pinching self returned home with the Milwaukee. They were worn out, bruised, and defeated as I moseyed over to check on their progress. They had snapped all of my adapters and several extensions as they tried every combination they could think of. They even stuck my 5' rockbar into my cheater bar to increase their leverage. My 6'2" son was bouncing on it to try and break that torque. Thus all the broken stuff on the floor. I calmly unboxed my new impact, popped the battery into it, and zipped the nut off in six seconds. They were so pissed that they didn't talk to me until I brought food out to them a couple of hours later. Now I hide it so that it doesn't disappear when my buddies come over for dinner and social gatherings. Oh yeah, it goes with me every time I take the Jeep out . . . just in case.

My son has had some pretty rough luck with vehicles. His first XJ was totaled when a tree fell on it during Hurricane Ike. His second XJ was totaled when someone blew through a stop sign at the end of our street and t-boned him. He found a great deal on a Honda Accord that looked like crap but ran like a bat out of hell. One weekend he and a buddy of mine decided to replace his worn CV axles. I was working on something else probably Jeep related. Anyway, they were trying everything they could think of to get the hub nut off and just couldn't get it. I told them to try more leverage and set them up with my large breaker bar and cheater bar as I headed to Home Depot to pick up something else for my project. I wandered over to the tool section and deliberated on spending big $$ for an impact. For what ever reason, my penny pinching self returned home with the Milwaukee. They were worn out, bruised, and defeated as I moseyed over to check on their progress. They had snapped all of my adapters and several extensions as they tried every combination they could think of. They even stuck my 5' rockbar into my cheater bar to increase their leverage. My 6'2" son was bouncing on it to try and break that torque. Thus all the broken stuff on the floor. I calmly unboxed my new impact, popped the battery into it, and zipped the nut off in six seconds. They were so pissed that they didn't talk to me until I brought food out to them a couple of hours later. Now I hide it so that it doesn't disappear when my buddies come over for dinner and social gatherings. Oh yeah, it goes with me every time I take the Jeep out . . . just in case.

Its that hammering effect! go with that where you must...