Minimalist Overlanding / Camping Ideas?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have this mini camper build that I have been building onto for several years now.
PicsArt_02-04-10.29.20.jpg

Complete frame-up build, and it's gotten very close to being useable.
But, I've run into some health issues, so it's progress has slowed. I'm itching to get out in the woods and I'm trying to think of ways to make use of the TJ for camping trips.

I've got the slide-out in the cargo area, so the "bed" can be extended. I've looked around at rooftop tents for many years, but that's not something I'm looking to do. Minimal load, but effective.

Anyone else have a setup like I'm describing, or have some ideas?

In my LJ I am able to get everything except my tent behind the rear seat by using a short rack to create two levels.

See: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/

I use two Frontrunner "Cub Pack" boxes, one for the camp kitchen and the other as a Jeep Box for jack, tire tools, and other large tools. Everything else is in cordura bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. I typically use a Kodiak Canvas "swag" tent with built-in foam mattress for solo trips or a Kodiak Canvas 6.5x8 Flexbow tent for longer camps or when I have company. Whichever tent I take is typically carried on the rear seat.

I used the same basic setup on a recent 3 1/2 week overlanding trip in Baja California, albeit in an Xterra rather than a Jeep. It was quick to set up camp and quick to strike.
Gear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg
Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpg
Front Runner drop down table.jpg
View out rear window with gear packed 05 05 19.jpg
Campsite near Bear Trap Basin, Stanislaus National Forest, Calaveras County CA - July 2019.jpg
Campsite at Guadalupe Canyon 1.jpg
Campsite in Fort Bragg 08 16 2019.jpg

That's a nice setup! I'm going to jump on your thread to see more details about the gear you have there. What I'm looking for is something a little different. I have quite a bit of gear that I've built up throughout my hiking trips. The storage bags and boxes would serve me well for the plan I have in mind though.

I suspect my plan will involve some building/crafting to do, but hopefully not too far out to keep it all at a minimum load.

It probably sounds crazy, but what I have in my head is something that would allow me to not have to set up one of my tents. Have the Jeep setup so that it's capable of a quick load-and-go, if necessary. Have it ready for anything from a one to three night trip.

Do you know of any outfitter that has sells a top/rain fly that attaches to the Jeep? That's the part that has me thinking I would need to have it custom made.

Hopefully someone has some build ideas for this, but I have a feeling this thread might end up being better suited for the "Gear" section.

In my LJ I am able to get everything except my tent behind the rear seat by using a short rack to create two levels.

See: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/

I use two Frontrunner "Cub Pack" boxes, one for the camp kitchen and the other as a Jeep Box for jack, tire tools, and other large tools. Everything else is in cordura bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. I typically use a Kodiak Canvas "swag" tent with built-in foam mattress for solo trips or a Kodiak Canvas 6.5x8 Flexbow tent for longer camps or when I have company. Whichever tent I take is typically carried on the rear seat.

I used the same basic setup on a recent 3 1/2 week overlanding trip in Baja California, albeit in an Xterra rather than a Jeep. It was quick to set up camp and quick to strike.View attachment 138418View attachment 138419View attachment 138422View attachment 138423View attachment 138426View attachment 138427View attachment 138428

Did you build or buy that tailgate table?

Hopefully someone has some build ideas for this, but I have a feeling this thread might end up being better suited for the "Gear" section.
Dude, there used to be a slide-out tent thing for tjs. I've been scouring the internet trying to find it. I think it pulled out and there was a bivvy style tent/toe box for your legs. it just sealed around the tailgate opening.

Reactions: bedhed
Maybe I am off the beaten path, but for minimalist camping all you really need is a tent, some chairs, a cooler for water and food, something to start a fire with, and a backpack or duffle with dry clothes and toiletries...

All of that will easily fit into a TJ. Even more room for stuff if you have an LJ.

What more do you need to go camping?

Start with through-hiking or bikepacking gear, and you can do way better. This is my entire camping kit except for the sleeping bag which is about half the size of the tent when it's crammed in the stuff sack.

IMG_20200206_062121.jpg

The O'Reilly card is just for scale. There's a pillow, seating pad, sleeping pad, sleeping bag liner, Jet Boil stove, kitchen utensils, bathroom supplies. There's even room in that box for some food. Grab a water jug and some clothes and you have everything you need for camping for a few days.

On the other hand, small, light camping gear isn't cheap.

Dude, there used to be a slide-out tent thing for tjs. I've been scouring the internet trying to find it. I think it pulled out and there was a bivvy style tent/toe box for your legs. it just sealed around the tailgate opening.
https://crewbed.com/

That's pretty cool. I'd never seen that before now. Your thinking with this is what I was looking for. If I didn't already have the slideout in the jeep, this would have definitely gotten my gears turning. Thanks, man! But yeah, that's essentially the same idea I have for the slideout. It doesn't come out quite as far, but far enough to add on a section that flips back into the cargo area to use as a sleeping area.

For the OP, are you building that trailer from scratch or is it a kit?
It's all from scratch. Well, mostly. It's been a while since I've worked on it, but you can see more details here.

Maybe I am off the beaten path, but for minimalist camping all you really need is a tent, some chairs, a cooler for water and food, something to start a fire with, and a backpack or duffle with dry clothes and toiletries...

All of that will easily fit into a TJ. Even more room for stuff if you have an LJ.

What more do you need to go camping?
I didn't put enough thought into my question before sending it. It was pretty vague. Considering that, no your'e not off the beaten path. That level of minimalism is what I'm looking for, minus the tent (in theory). Maybe even less, at times. The idea that I have in my head is to have the jeep setup so that there is no need to drop a tent. If I'm somewhere in this wet Florida weather and decide to post up in the rain, or on unsuitable ground, I don't want it to hold me up. The jeep needs a rain fly. Something that extends over the back, but more so than the ARB Touring Awning.

The more self contained, the better.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Start with through-hiking or bikepacking gear, and you can do way better. This is my entire camping kit except for the sleeping bag which is about half the size of the tent when it's crammed in the stuff sack.

View attachment 138677

The O'Reilly card is just for scale. There's a pillow, seating pad, sleeping pad, sleeping bag liner, Jet Boil stove, kitchen utensils, bathroom supplies. There's even room in that box for some food. Grab a water jug and some clothes and you have everything you need for camping for a few days.

On the other hand, small, light camping gear isn't cheap.
Thanks, man. I have all of my gear. If I remember correctly, I think my last pack weight for a 3-day AT hike was a bit under 16 pounds. A little on the heavy side for that, but for my jeep idea, I'd be good to go.

Reactions: fuse
Check out camping hammocks while you are at it. So much better than sleeping on the ground. You are already driving one of the support poles.:)
Very true. I thought about that too. I've got a eno "single" that I've taken out before. Maybe a double/two person would be better, but that single is pretty cramped for an over nighter. It pulls in so tightly on the sides that it has my shoulders mashed in. My only dislike with that idea was that it would require a larger awning/cover.

Were you sleeping diagonally with head on one side and feet on the other? Some type of hammocks are better than others. hammockforums.net is the best place to find out anything you'd ever want to know about hammocks.

I've been out of it for a number of years but these were the defacto "go to hammocks" in the past.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird/
The biggest issue with hammocks is staying warm. Even in 70 degree weather you will not be comfortable for very long without something under you. The slightest breeze will start robbing you of body heat quickly.

Anyone else have a setup like I'm describing, or have some ideas?
same but different

I started with a 5x10 deck trailer plus a 4' high box and added windows, doors, a roof and 2 bulkheads. Kitchen across the back, bed in the middle, storage across the front for the TJ doors. Originally I could disassemble it and store it against the wall in 6 panels. I glued and screwed it last spring so it is a slide in box.

DSC_0122 2.jpeg

Same philosophy as the OP. I needed minimalist facilities for an old unhealthy body.

This is about as simple as it gets for minimal setup, minimal pack up.
The bed is always ready. Park in the dark roll into bed. Wake up to rain, roll out of bed, drive away.
Next night same thing, everything is ready and dry.

Plus, get home from work Friday, hitch up, get out of town, 5 minutes and all I need to do is buy some cold beer and a bit of food on the road. Get home, drop the trailer, plug in the fridge, go to work in under 5 minutes.

My days of tenting are over as is all the time to unpack, set up, tear down, dig thru boxes looking for stuff.
I get to travel doorless yet have the comfort and security they provide when needed.

And cheap, hardware, windows, doors, walls, roof, paint totalled $800.

Here is the build thread from Expedition Portal
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-osb-box.203713/

Last edited:
Reactions: JLLJ and bedhed
Were you sleeping diagonally with head on one side and feet on the other?
I was, yeah. My ex girlfriend and I had one that would fit both of us quite comfortably. That one was really comfortable with only one person, but I wanted a smaller, lighter load-out, so I picked up the single man version. I'm not a big guy. I'm 6', 184 and it had me cramped really bad. comparing it to the double, I'd say that the single MIGHT sleep a 5 year old with the same comfort level as I did with the double.
The biggest issue with hammocks is staying warm. Even in 70 degree weather you will not be comfortable for very long without something under you. The slightest breeze will start robbing you of body heat quickly.
Absolutely! It's amazing how, even in warmer temps, it cools your body on the bottom side. I've yet to use it in cold weather, just for that reason. Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of that company before. I'll check it out.
same but different

I started with a 5x10 deck trailer plus a 4' high box and added windows, doors, a roof and 2 bulkheads. Kitchen across the back, bed in the middle, storage across the front for the TJ doors. Originally I could disassemble it and store it against the wall in 6 panels. I glued and screwed it last spring so it is a slide in box.

View attachment 138708

Same philosophy as the OP. I needed minimalist facilities for an old unhealthy body.

This is about as simple as it gets for minimal setup, minimal pack up.
The bed is always ready. Park in the dark roll into bed. Wake up to rain, roll out of bed, drive away.
Next night same thing, everything is ready and dry.

My days of tenting are over as is all the time to unpack, set up, tear down, dig thru boxes looking for stuff.
And I get to travel doorless yet have the comfort and security they provide when needed.
Very cool. Oddly enough, I think I've seen pictures of your build before. Even from that picture, it looks very familiar. I cannot remember now where I saw it though.
But yeah, I think you understand where I'm with this. My build isn't complete, by body is slowing progress, but I'm in need of some outdoors time. What I'm essentially trying to do is use the jeep in the place of the mini camper when I want.

I've used a hammock in 17 degree weather, but that requires a lot of down. Down underquilt and a top quilt plus a full tarp. But, with all that I was warm and cozy.

Reactions: bedhed