Minor English language rant

"I could care less".

If you could, why don't you?
That annoys me the most!
Let me educate: Correct Use: "I couldn't care less" means "I do not care at all." Incorrect Use: "I couldcare less" means "I still care a little bit."

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Actually yes you can, however "You can't eat your cake and have it too." The is the correct version of the phrase and it is actually what helped nail Ted Kazinsky in the Uni Bomber case. He said ti that way and his brother noticed it when one of the FBI agents showed him a letter.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Actually yes you can, however "You can't eat your cake and have it too." The is the correct version of the phrase and it is actually what helped nail Ted Kazinsky in the Uni Bomber case. He said ti that way and his brother noticed it when one of the FBI agents showed him a letter.
Those of us in design refer to that as an artifact. It is something unique to a design but useless except as something you know is there that others may copy without understanding why is or isn't there.
Warn did it to their older fairleads to see who was copying them. They put a 45 degree angle in one of the corners and the others are not. You can see it on some of them still.
warn fairlead.PNG
warn fairlead 2.PNG

Reactions: mgroeger
Those of us in design refer to that as an artifact. It is something unique to a design but useless except as something you know is there that others may copy without understanding why is or isn't there.
Warn did it to their older fairleads to see who was copying them. They put a 45 degree angle in one of the corners and the others are not. You can see it on some of them still. View attachment 92501View attachment 92502

You sir win the Cliff Clavin interesting fact of the day award. Now every Warn fairlead I see will be inspected :)

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Warn did it to their older fairleads to see who was copying them. They put a 45 degree angle in one of the corners and the others are not. You can see it on some of them still. View attachment 92501View attachment 92502

Map makers and publishers will do something similar with a non-existant place name and an intentional typo as a copyright trap.

Now that you bring it up, I'm very surprised at the number of folks who believe espresso will keep them awake better than a much lighter roast when in fact the darker the roast, the lesser amount of caffeine it contains.
Most people don't know that the half life of caffeine in the body is 5-6 hours either...

We all make mistakes, that's a given.

I think the issue for me is that when someone makes little to no effort to even attempt to fix their grammar. When you're one of those people who always misspells everything and simply doesn't care, that's when it begins to bother me.

In all fairness though, I will say that whenever I write things on my phone, I'm probably three times more likely to make a mistake than when doing it on my desktop computer. Between the small screen and auto-correct, it can be tricky.

It blows my mind that someone people have nothing more than a phone these days. I couldn't live without my desktop computer.

Reactions: matkal