Minor English language rant

How many folks do you think still run with flip phones?

Probably not many. My understanding is that even if you want one of those old non-smartphone flip-phones, most cell phone service provides actually don't even offer service for them anymore.

I was talking to a neighbor who is a bit older and he said he went into Verizon to try to get a very basic flip phone (not a smartphone). He told me that Verizon said they don't offer any phones like that anymore, can't provide service for them, and your only option is a smartphone (albeit a very, very cheap and crappy one).

"I don't proofread for your enjoyment." My new sig for this forum.
I try to do better on the forums, but my auto correct on my phone works over time. When I get the "?" as a response I go back and read what was sent. Lots of laughter!

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Run on sentences kill me not just one long sentence but an entire paragraph with no punctuation my wife is a college dance coach and she showed me a few emails from prospective dancers mind you they are in college one long ass paragraph without a single comma or period I do not understand why people cannot take a half second to proofread their communication I mean its ridiculous and you run out of breath by the time you are done reading it

See what I did there...

Reactions: JMT
Run on sentences kill me not just one long sentence but an entire paragraph with no punctuation my wife is a college dance coach and she showed me a few emails from prospective dancers mind you they are in college one long ass paragraph without a single comma or period I do not understand why people cannot take a half second to proofread their communication I mean its ridiculous and you run out of breath by the time you are done reading it

See what I did there...
Know. Can you esplain???!?

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Just old people.
My helpers have smart phones. 3 things are true that I can't and won't deal with. The longest I have seen them run without a broken screen is about 3 weeks right after they get it. Then they live with the broken screen until it affects most of the functions. 2nd thing is they have lost them and the anxiety and angst over how much important stuff in their life that is now gone is astounding. I ruin about 1 phone a month. I have a ruggedized version that is going on 3 months which is pretty darn good.
I need a phone so I can talk to folks, that's it.

Ugh, another one that's annoying the piss out of me.

Why are random words capitalized in thread titles?

Just 5 minutes ago I see a thread titled: Do I need to open the Diff when replacing Ball Joints?

Why are "Diff" and "Ball Joints" capitalized?

I see this all the friggin' time and it drives me batshit insane.

The only thing I can think of is that this is some sort of stupid smartphone "autocorrect" intervention.

Reactions: astjp2
My helpers have smart phones. 3 things are true that I can't and won't deal with. The longest I have seen them run without a broken screen is about 3 weeks right after they get it. Then they live with the broken screen until it affects most of the functions. 2nd thing is they have lost them and the anxiety and angst over how much important stuff in their life that is now gone is astounding. I ruin about 1 phone a month. I have a ruggedized version that is going on 3 months which is pretty darn good.
I need a phone so I can talk to folks, that's it.
I am not saying they are bad phones to have, it’s just the younger generations seem to have the need whereas older people can live without a smartphone. My parents still have a rotary phone. That is what I grew up with also. I have had my phone for a year now with no broken screen, my old slider phone was so scratched up that I couldn’t see what I was dialing or texting. It was 4 years old and I wish I could still use it, technology passed it up finally.

Did you ever wonder how some college students, who cannot send an email/text/whatever without errors, ever got into college?

Unless, of course, their parents were film stars, or bazillionaires...

Reactions: matkal
I have a really dry sense of humor. And tend to use "LOL" a lot. I fear that is akin to "Hon". Which I can not stand. Maybe it's a regional thing. I don't know. But whenever I hear the word "hon" or "hun" (not sure which is correct) I cringe. It's bad in a post or text. But hearing it is even worse.

So is "LOL" worn out? Am I old? Am I over using it? I fear people will be offended and not get my dry humor without the "lol" at the end of a statement. Where I'm trying to be funny. But otherwise might be taken wrong. Should I start using ";)" instead?

Reactions: matkal
I have a really dry sense of humor. And tend to use "LOL" a lot. I fear that is akin to "Hon". Which I can not stand. Maybe it's a regional thing. I don't know. But whenever I hear the word "hon" or "hun" (not sure which is correct) I cringe. It's bad in a post or text. But hearing it is even worse.

So is "LOL" worn out? Am I old? Am I over using it? I fear people will be offended and not get my dry humor without the "lol" at the end of a statement. Where I'm trying to be funny. But otherwise might be taken wrong. Should I start using ";)" instead?
Use nothing, add some intrigue!

lol...

Reactions: tworley and Ericict
Probably not many. My understanding is that even if you want one of those old non-smartphone flip-phones, most cell phone service provides actually don't even offer service for them anymore.

I was talking to a neighbor who is a bit older and he said he went into Verizon to try to get a very basic flip phone (not a smartphone). He told me that Verizon said they don't offer any phones like that anymore, can't provide service for them, and your only option is a smartphone (albeit a very, very cheap and crappy one).

I was working in a place a few years back where the security folks decided they didn't want anyone to have a camera on their phone, so they gave us flip-phones for work. I was a fan, my keypad-texting skills from the 2000's came back pretty quick. The thing I liked the most was that when you made a call you just opened the thing and simply dialed. There was no waiting for the "phone app" to open or constant updates..