Mirror laws for all 50 states

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Like most Jeep Wranglers, my stock side mirrors are attached to my doors. When I take the doors off this means I no longer have side mirrors. Some states are OK with this while other states you can get ticketed. To avoid this you can buy mirrors that slip into the empty hinge while the door is off or mount side mirrors to the edges of your windshield frame. To decide if you actually need side mirrors here is a list of each state's laws regarding whether it is OK to not have side mirrors. Feel free to comment if you know the laws for any international locations.

Each law was pulled directly from each state's official website and not from any third party website including websites dedicated to providing laws. I have found that a lot of websites provided outdated information or were lacking information. If anyone wants to pass this info along to any Jeep forums or any other websites that provide this sort of information I am sure they would appreciate it as well. I won't complain if you want to credit this post as the source too.

I have provided a simplified version of each law. If there is still confusion about a law I have provided then feel free to look up the referenced Titles / Codes / Laws on your own for the more detailed legal jargon of that law.

Mirror Laws by State:

Alabama
:

Side mirrors not required. Minimum of one mirror. This can be the mirror on the windshield or one of the side mirrors. Must be able to see at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Alabama Code Title 32 chapter 5 Article 9 Division 1 Code 214 - § 32-5-214

Alaska:

Left side mirror required and either a center mirror or right side mirror. If view from the center mirror is obstructed then the vehicle must have a right side mirror. Mirrors must be maintained and in good condition.
Reference Alaska Administrative Code Title 13 Chapter 4 Article 4 Code 220 - 13 AAC 04.220.Mirrors

Arizona:

Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28 Chapter 3 Article 16 Code 956 - ARS 28-956

Arkansas:

Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Arkansas Code Title 27 Subtitle 3 Chapter 37 Subchapter 3 - § 27-37-305

California:

If the vehicle is registered in this state then left side mirror is required and either a center mirror or right side mirror. If view from the center mirror is obstructed (this does not include passengers) then the vehicle must have a right side mirror. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not registered in this state then side mirrors are not required as long as the center mirror has a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference California Vehicle Code Division 12 Chapter 4 Code 26709

Colorado:

Side mirrors are required if vehicle is not equipped with rear window and rear side windows (sounds like this part was made specifically because of jeeps) or if the view from the center mirror is obstructed. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Model Traffic Code for Colorado Part 2 Section 226

Connecticut:

Side mirrors are not required. Operator must have a clear view directly behind the vehicle or on a line parallel to the left side of the body. This means that if the center mirror is obstructed then a left side mirror is required. You can have either a left side mirror or center mirror. If you have a left side mirror then a center mirror is not required. Right side mirror is not required at any time.
Reference General Statutes of Connecticut Volume 5 Title 14 Chapter 246 Section 14-99

Delaware:

Side mirrors not required. Vehicle must have one mirror that a driver can use to detect any vehicle traveling in the same direction and overtaking the driver's vehicle.
Reference Delaware Code Title 21 Chapter 43 Subchapter 1 Code 4309 - § 4309

Florida:

Reference Florida Statutes Title XXIII Chapter 316 Code 294

Georgia:

Reference Georgia Code Title 40 Chapter 8 Article 1 Part 4 Code 72 - § 40-8-72

Hawaii:

Reference Hawaii Revised Ordinances of Honolulu Chapter 15 Article 19 Section 15 Code 19.29 - ROH 15-19.29

Idaho:

Reference Idaho Statutes Title 49 Chapter 9 Code 940 - § 49-940

Illinois:

Reference Illinois Compiled Statutes Chapter 625 Act 5 Chapter 12 Article V Code 502 - 625 ILCS 5/12-502

Indiana:

Mirrors are not required unless the view from the driver's position is obstructed. Mirrors, if installed, must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Indiana Code Title 9 Article 19 Chapter 12 Code 1 - IC 9-19-12-1

Iowa:

Reference Iowa Code Title VIII Chapter 321 Code 437 - § 321.437

Kansas:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror.
Reference Kansas Statutes Chapter 8 Article 17 Code 40 - § 8-1740

Kentucky:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror.
Reference Kentucky Legislature Title XVI Chapter 189 Code 130 - § 189.130

Louisiana:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror. If center mirror is obstructed then a right side mirror is required. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Louisiana Revised Statutes Title 32 Code 354 - § RS 32:354

Maine:

Reference Maine Revised Statutes Title 29-A Chapter 17 Subchapter 1 Code 1913 - 29-A §1913

Maryland:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror. If center mirror is obstructed then a right side mirror is required. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Maryland Statue Transportation Article Section 22-403 - §22–403.

Massachusetts:

"Must have at least one mirror with a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear and left side of the vehicle." This is very vague. You could be good with just the center mirror but if a law enforcement officer wants to get technical you might want to have a left side mirror.
Reference Massachusetts General Laws Part I Title XIV Chapter 90 Section 7

Michigan:

Left side mirror required except if licensed as a historic vehicle and that vehicle was not originally equipped with an outside mirror. Not sure if those classic Jeeps had side mirrors.
Reference Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 257 Act 300 of 1949 Chapter VI Equipment Division Code 708 - 300-1949-VI-Equipment § 257.708

Minnesota:

Reference Minnesota Statutes Chapter 169.70

Mississippi:

Reference Mississippi Code of 1972 Annotated Title 63 Chapter 7 Code 57 - § 63-7-57

Missouri:

A side mirror is required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed or the driver cannot see the road behind the vehicle by looking back or around the side.
Reference Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 307 Section 170 Part 4 - § 307.170

Montana:

Reference Montana Code Annotated 2015 Title 61 Chapter 9 Part 4 Code 404 - § 61-9-404

Nebraska:

Both side mirrors are required if the the driver cannot see the road behind the vehicle by looking backward from the driver's position.
Reference Nebraska Revised Statutes Chapter 60 Section 6,254 - § 60-6,254

Nevada:

Reference Nevada Revised Statutes Title 43 Chapter 484D Code 430 - § NRS 484D.430

New Hampshire:

Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed.
Reference New Hampshire Statutes Title XXI Chapter 266 Section 55 - § 266:55

New Jersey:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror. If center mirror is obstructed then a right side mirror is required.
Reference New Jersey Statutes Title 39 Chapter 3 Code 71 - § 39:3-71

New Mexico:

Reference New Mexico Statutes Chapter 66 Article 3 Part 9 Code 845 - § 66-3-845

New York:

If the vehicle is registered in this state then left side mirror is required unless the vehicle is a 1967 or older model. Again, not sure if those classic Jeeps had side mirrors. If the vehicle is not registered in this state then side mirrors are not required as long as the center mirror is unobstructed.
Reference New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law Title 3 Article 9 Section 375 Chapter 10 - § 375-10

North Carolina:

Left side mirror is not required if vehicle is a 1965 or older model. Otherwise, left and center mirrors are required.
Reference North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 20 Article 3 Code 126 - § 20-126

North Dakota:

Reference North Dakota Century Code Title 39 Chapter 21 Section 38 - § 39-21-38

Ohio:

Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed.
Reference Ohio Revised Code Title 45 Chapter 4513 Section 23 - § 4513.23

Oklahoma:

Left side mirror required along with either a center mirror or right side mirror. If center mirror is obstructed then a right side mirror is required.
Reference Oklahoma Statutes Title 47 Chapter 12 Section 403 - §47-12-403

Oregon:

Reference Oregon Revised Statutes Volume 17 Title 59 Chapter 815 Section 235 - § 815.235

Pennsylvania:

Reference Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Title 75 Part IV Chapter 45 Subchapter B Section 4534 - § 4534

Rhode Island:

Left side mirror and center mirror required. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference State of Rhode Island General Laws Title 31 Chapter 31-23 Section 31-23-15 - § 31-23-15

South Carolina:

Reference South Carolina Code of Laws Title 56 Chapter 5 Code 4990 - § 56-5-4990

South Dakota:

Reference South Dakota Codified Laws Title 32 Chapter 15 Section 8 - § 32-15-8

Tennessee:

This laws is very vague as well. It specifically says "motor trucks" must have at least one unobstructed mirror if it is loaded or built to prevent the driver's view of the rear. I'm not entirely sure that a car/jeep has to have any mirrors at all if I am interpreting this law correctly.
Reference State of Tennessee Laws Title 55 Chapter 9 Section 206 - § 55-9-206

Texas:

Reference Texas Statute Transportation Code Chapter 547 Section 602 - § 547.602

Utah:

Reference Utah Code Title 41 Chapter 6a Part 16 Section 1627 - § 41-6a-1627

Vermont:

No mirrors required unless towing a trailer.
Reference Vermont Statutes Title 23 Chapter 13 Subchapter 14 Section 1305 - § 1305

Virginia:

At least 1 side mirror is required along with the center mirror. Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Code of Virginia Title 46.2 Subtitle III Chapter 10 Article 10 Section 1082 - § 46.2-1082

Washington:

Left side mirror required and either a center mirror or right side mirror. If view from the center mirror is obstructed then the vehicle must have a right side mirror. Mirrors must be maintained and in good condition and must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Reference Revised Code of Washington Title 46 Chapter 46.37 Section 46.37.400 - § RCW 46.37.400

Washington DC:

Reference DC Municipal Regulations and DC Register Title 18 Chapter 18-7 Rule 18-731.6

West Virginia:

No mirrors required unless view to the rear is obstructed. Then any mirror (left, right, or center) that provides a view of at least 200 feet is required.
Reference West Virginia Code Chapter 17C Article 15 Code 35 - § 17C-15-35

Wisconsin:

Reference Wisconsin Statutes and Annotations Chapter 347 Subchapter III Section 347.40 - § 347.40

Wyoming:

Left side mirror required and either a center mirror or right side mirror. If view from the center mirror is obstructed then the vehicle must have a right side mirror. (§ 31-5-954)
If rear windows are tinted then left and right side mirrors are required. (I would assume if your doors are off then your top is probably off too so this wouldn't apply in that situation). (§ 31-5-962)
Reference Wyoming Statutes Title 31 Chapter Chapter 5 Article 9 Division 3 Section 954 - § 31-5-954
Reference Wyoming Statutes Title 31 Chapter Chapter 5 Article 9 Division 3 Section 962 - § 31-5-962

Lots of research here Chris. Thank you. I see so many posts about making sure you are legal without doors. I looked up the FL laws and found the same as your post. Dont need side mirrors if you can see 200 ft to the rear with mirror. I did not read all 50 but it seems like most states are the same: if you can see out your rear view mirror, side mirrors are not required.

I found this on Reddit and figured I would post it here. This should be of help to Jeep owners in the future. I didn't even know I didn't need side view mirrors in Oregon. I've been driving without them this entire time thinking it was illegal!

Reactions: Steel City 06
I did find I am not fond of driving without mirrors. Got used to it last year but when the doors came off this spring I had to get mirrors.

I took the doors off a few days ago for the first time, and while stopped at a red light across from an officer of the law was thinking about the missing mirrors. No wonder he didn't look twice at me, they are not required in Oregon! Thanks.

Reactions: Chris
Interesting fact for Illinois. Your license can be endorsed to require side mirrors. In my case I was borderline on last vision test so the guy gave me two options. Endorse license to always require to wear glasses or endorse to always have side mirrors with or without glasses.

Even with mirrors you will still get a $150 ticket in PA for no doors...

Can you find that requirement in the motor vehicle laws in PA and post it? Seams an odd requirement as what would the law say about motor cycles?
I have been stopped here in Hawaii a few times for being door-less (2 years no doors), each time po po was all up in my grille for no doors. Each time I explained to Barney that doors are not required, nor is a side view mirror.
I think they just don't like the happy Jeep smiles of all on board!!

Can you find that requirement in the motor vehicle laws in PA and post it? Seams an odd requirement as what would the law say about motor cycles?
I have been stopped here in Hawaii a few times for being door-less (2 years no doors), each time po po was all up in my grille for no doors. Each time I explained to Barney that doors are not required, nor is a side view mirror.
I think they just don't like the happy Jeep smiles of all on board!!
It's kind of ambiguous depending on how you read it, but it will still get you a ticket here. Though 90% of police probably don't care

Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.

It's kind of ambiguous depending on how you read it, but it will still get you a ticket here. Though 90% of police probably don't care

Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.

If I recall, at some point in PA traffic court, is was stated that since Jeep designs the door to be removed for normal operation that the court agreed that is was "manufactured" to have no side. The Judge agreed, ticket dismissed. Precedent set!