Mirror Relocation Question

Love Tractor

Hi folks new member here. I have a 2006 LJ and I relocated the mirrors using the cheap SmittyBuilt kit.

My question is for those of you who have done it what do you use to fill the bolt holes in the doors where the mirrors used to be?

Post in thread 'The lights before lockers build: double tough 97 Sport' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...uild-double-tough-97-sport.60838/post-1089969

Pic #12 in that post. Just found some hardware store Allen head bolts that were the same thread, and used a rubber washer underneath.

That said, I hated the mirrors so far forward. I couldn't see the passenger one with the doors on. Switched back to stock.

Reactions: JMT
Reactions: 97TJNM
I did the mirror relocation brackets.. run them full time. I shortened the kit mirror arm, angled it more appropriately so it doesn't hit the door before redriling, shortened the door strap, swapped the thumb screws for standard bolts and changed the mirrors to a 4x6 truckers aux mirror. Visability is so much better, I can see the full mirror, both sides, unobstructed and no messing with mirrors when the doors come off.

Oh, I did find small rubber plugs to fill the holes left by removing the mirrors.

2022-03-26 mirror plugs 03.jpg

Reactions: Necro
I did the mirror relocation brackets.. run them full time. I shortened the kit mirror arm, angled it more appropriately so it doesn't hit the door before redriling, shortened the door strap, swapped the thumb screws for standard bolts and changed the mirrors to a 4x6 truckers aux mirror. Visability is so much better, I can see the full mirror, both sides, unobstructed and no messing with mirrors when the doors come off.

Oh, I did find small rubber plugs to fill the holes left by removing the mirrors.

View attachment 376257

Pics of the finished set up?

Pics of the finished set up?
Best I can do at the moment….

This is before the thumb screw was replaced.
366AD912-928D-4CEF-A719-2196B7969AF6.jpeg

Been running them with only one mounting bolt for over a year. There is a rubber backing on the mounting bracket and it is rock solid.

Mirrors don’t vibrate at all. The 6” squares that came with the relocation kit, vibrated horribly, and were way bigger than needed. Switching to a smaller mirror is more appealing. I failed to mention above the aux mirrors are convex and actually have a wider field of view than either of the larger stockers of the 6” mirror in the relocation kit.

Best I can do at the moment….

This is before the thumb screw was replaced.
View attachment 376263

Been running them with only one mounting bolt for over a year. There is a rubber backing on the mounting bracket and it is rock solid.

Mirrors don’t vibrate at all. The 6” squares that came with the relocation kit, vibrated horribly, and were way bigger than needed. Switching to a smaller mirror is more appealing. I failed to mention above the aux mirrors are convex and actually have a wider field of view than either of the larger stockers of the 6” mirror in the relocation kit.

I like those better than the ones I had on my Sport!!! Yours are more CJish
20210403_143109_copy_800x600.jpg

20210403_143129_copy_800x600.jpg

Reactions: MikekiM
These are the relocaters I have. The passenger one sucks with the doors on. The drivers side works great though.

I loved them with 1/2 doors, but had to shorten the door keepers on the full doors to keep the doors from hitting the mirrors.

Now that I have the Rubi with soft top and 1/2 doors I will just keep the mirrors on the doors.

After shortening the arms, and correcting the angle before red rolling the cab side end, I can see both mirrors with the full doors on. Nothing is blocked. I’ll post a few pics of visibility from the drivers seat.

The convex takes a day or three to get used to, but once you have muscle memory the added field of view is great. Can’t live without them.

I was going to try the round truckers aux mirror simply the CJ look. At some point I’ll try it.

Reactions: John Cooper
I’ll post a few pics of visibility from the drivers seat.

If possible can you post picture/clearance with the doors open? I definitely interested in finding a year round solution to the mirrors wth or without doors. Had the doors off in the early fall when I first got mine and was not comfortable running rush hour traffic with out mirrors

Reactions: MikekiM
If possible can you post picture/clearance with the doors open? I definitely interested in finding a year round solution to the mirrors wth or without doors. Had the doors off in the early fall when I first got mine and was not comfortable running rush hour traffic with out mirrors

I can.. It's raining at the moment but I will get some images in a bit. Stay tuned

Reactions: John Cooper
Giving more thought to this to maybe get the ditch light bracket and use my below average wire feed welding skills to come off that bracket with a combo set-up. Make up some extension arm is easy enough then cut/bend to desired length /position. Basically, a full-blown CJ mirror look with ditch lights to boot. or does such a thing already exist?

1668361280499.png

1668361416222.png

Giving more thought to this to maybe get the ditch light bracket and use my below average wire feed welding skills to come off that bracket with a combo set-up. Make up some extension arm is easy enough then cut/bend to desired length /position. Basically, a full-blown CJ mirror look with ditch lights to boot. or does such a thing already exist?

View attachment 376524

View attachment 376525

This might be helpful...

Here a few pics for details...

View of drivers side...
IMG_5110.jpg

View to passenger
IMG_5109.jpg

Clearance on driver side..
IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

Clearance on passenger..
IMG_5116.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

Details of the relocation brackets with the cut-down arms..
IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

I made the door straps from 1" mil spec webbing. 5.5" finished length. Above clearance pics are with the doors fully open. Using the mil spec webbing means virtually zero stretch so even if they swing fully open from the wind, or on a hill, they don't impact the mirrors.

As noted above, the relocation brackets are mounted higher on the a-pillar than intended and use only one mounting bold, but because of the textured rubber backing they don't move and haven't in the past year of use.

Just installed a set of 5” round convex mirrors. They clear the A-pillars just fine but are way wider field of view. Like the retro CJ look but Maybe too wide of a view. I’ll live with them a bit before casting final vote

I bought these relocation brackets. The factory mirrors bolt right to them and the brackets bolt to the windshield hinge brackets. The doors don’t hit them with the straps on and they are solid. I bought the cheap folding doors off mirror kit and hated it from day one.

2B7F9945-7EC1-4651-8490-06D66069B915.png