MiRustyjeep

Wow...5 months without an update to this thread. That is unheard of (for me, anyway). I haven't really been wrenching on the jeep at all, which is a blessing. It has no leaks, weird noises, or bad smells. So, I've just been enjoying it. About time for it to go for its winter slumber.

Another big reason I haven't been wrenching, or even keeping up with the board (I've missed out on some GREAT builds) is My wife and I decided to sell our boat this summer and get a motorhome. We spent about a month getting the boat ready to sell. It sold in less than 48 hours, so Yaaaa for me. I also got WAY more for it than I thought I would.
After the boat was gone, I turned my focus to finding a motorhome. Ended up with another cult following, project type vehicle. We bought a 1978 GMC motorhome. Its a pretty cool piece of history, and it has a bit of a following like wranglers and 60's musclecars. Its been fun!

1573054175376.png

I'm currently going through the engine and rebuilding the top end and replacing the cooling system. Then I know my wife wants to make a couple changes on the interior.

I still have some stuff planned for the jeep, so stay tuned...

Reactions: Farmergreg
Always thought those were cool!
We recently sold our 5th wheel toyhauler and are looking for a motorhome. With the idea of dragging the Jeep with us.
(I did have a nightmare, that my wife made me trade the TJ in on a new 4dr JL “because the TJ was too hard to get in and out of” fortunately it was just a dream!)

Reactions: Mike_H
Yes @bobthetj03 and @Farmergreg the plan is to set up the wrangler as a TOAD. My wife and I love jeep rides, and we love to explore new places. It IS the best of both worlds. The tow ratings on the ol' Girl isn't the best though, so I've gotta do some upgrades to get her up to snuff. Mainly gearing (imagine that!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
I've been lurking around eBay and a couple Facebook sites watching for set of 5.9L hood louvers. I can't stomach paying 150 bucks for a set. So I waited and watched. Finally found a set from a dude in Canada. Only wanted 50 bucks, plus shipping. So I jumped on it. Cost me 75 dollars to my door.

IMG_20200117_190523402.jpg

They need refinished, and one screw post is broken off, but it's there, so it's an easy repair. Came with the drip trays too. I'll get around to install some time soon.

Reactions: fuse and Squatch
I've been lurking around eBay and a couple Facebook sites watching for set of 5.9L hood louvers. I can't stomach paying 150 bucks for a set. So I waited and watched. Finally found a set from a dude in Canada. Only wanted 50 bucks, plus shipping. So I jumped on it. Cost me 75 dollars to my door.

View attachment 135022

They need refinished, and one screw post is broken off, but it's there, so it's an easy repair. Came with the drip trays too. I'll get around to install some time soon.
Helluva price there, Chief. Score!

Hows the motorhome project going?
It's coming. I got the cooling system replaced and found water in my oil. I ended up having to rebuild the whole top end of the motor. My intake manifold was cracked, the exhaust manifolds were cracked, and the exhaust manifold mounting surfaces on the heads were shot. So I machined the heads, did a valve job, put and aluminum intake manifold on and replaced the distributor and timing chain. Runs great now! Compression is good, so I should get a lot of life from the engine.

Next up is fixing the generator. I pulled that today and brought it home (since the coach is stored at my dad's). It doesn't turn over.. But the engine is free. I bought a rebuilt starter and will start figuring out what else is wrong with it.

Also going to order a one ton front end kit soon. It needs a rebuild anyway, so I'm going to replace the Olds Toranado stuff with stuff from a late 80's one ton square body. Better brakes and heavier bearings.

IMG_20200118_112646870.jpg

IMG_20200118_113322130_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Farmergreg
^Burr!!
Looks like you’re into another deep project. It will be a cool combination MH/ TJ when you roll it out.

Been getting the itch lately too work on the Jeep again. I have those hood louvers to install and a Bestop tire carrier.

My generator project has taken on a life of it's own though. It's getting a full rebuild. I have parts all over my garage. Most everything is clean now and ready for paint. Gotta clean the barn, then I'll go nuts and paint it all at once. Reassemble and cross my fingers that it runs!

I'm also teetering on the edge of buying a tummy tuck. I want to make sure I get a Savvy, before they decide to discontinue it for the TJ all together.

IMG_20200126_223157221.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Been getting the itch lately too work on the Jeep again. I have those hood louvers to install and a Bestop tire carrier.

My generator project has taken on a life of it's own though. It's getting a full rebuild. I have parts all over my garage. Most everything is clean now and ready for paint. Gotta clean the barn, then I'll go nuts and paint it all at once. Reassemble and cross my fingers that it runs!

I'm also teetering on the edge of buying a tummy tuck. I want to make sure I get a Savvy, before they decide to discontinue it for the TJ all together.

View attachment 142062
You’re thinking like me. I already got my Savvy UAM. It’s not going anywhere but the basement for now till I get all the parts.

Heard a scratching sound today driving in a parking lot. Narrowed it down to driver's front wheel. Bad u-joint. Been waiting for this day. I ordered up two new 5-760x joints, Timken bearings, and I have some ball joints ready to go... The ball joints are something I won at a Jeep night. They are MevoTech TTX. They have knurled barrels, so I may file them down. Gotta take some measurements. I don't want to screw up the bore on the axle.

In other Jeep news, another tailgate dies due to a spare tire.

IMG_20200420_202727556.jpg

Found it while installing my Bestop tire carrier I bought a while ago. Bummer... Thought I had that spare stabilized enough. Oh well. Add it to the list of metal to be repaired, someday. I'll probably just replace it. It seems like I see them pretty consistently for 150 bucks, and for that money, it's not worth the time to fix it. Good practice though...

I spent the day tearing apart my front axle to replace hubs, ball joints, and U-joints. In case anyone needs any more proof they should buy the least rusty Jeep they can, allow me to show some pictures... Remember, for a rust belt Jeep, this one was in really decent shape.

Doesn't look terrible here...

IMG_20200425_160744020.jpg

After I got the brake pulled off, here is the knuckle
IMG_20200425_161325311.jpg

And we keep removing parts.

IMG_20200425_161334659.jpg

Here is the knuckle off and everything disassembled

IMG_20200425_162524581.jpg

Some of the scale.
IMG_20200425_162527724.jpg

Given all the rust, it actually came apart pretty decent. I have all new hardware to go back on and I'll give it a liberal cost of anti-seize.

And because I can't help myself, I'm cleaning and painting as it goes back together (tomorrow)
IMG_20200425_183808271.jpg

This was the best Rubicon I could find in my budget when I bought. Knowing then what I know now, I would have bought a salvage from a southern state and repaired it. But...I do get to enjoy having and driving my Jeep in between these kinds of projects. If I had bought a salvage, it would have been a project to even get it running an driving. If I keep it up, eventually, it will be rust free...lol

Last edited:
Stay at it. Great work. Mine looked like this a couple months ago when I upgraded my front axles to Carbon Offroad 4340’s.
02DB4CAA-4341-4328-A454-4AFE692C2713.jpeg

F283DB9D-4CBA-4AE9-B7DD-222849450931.jpeg

E38CBD70-1212-4B80-A561-6BC507779764.jpeg

After looking at parts diagrams and what not, I found that I'm missing my dust shields on the brakes, I wanted to replace the six hub bolts and the plastic "oil slinger / debris shields" are broken. PLUS, I rolled my ankle about a week ago, and yesterday didn't do anything to help it. So, I have more parts on order and I'm trying to take it easy today on my ankle.

• Wow
Reactions: fuse and Farmergreg