MiRustyjeep

Looks good! You are making great progress.
I also discovered some trans fluid in my yoke when I installed the TW driveshaft. There is actually a TSB for this on the 241.

My tummy is officially tucked!
IMG_20200816_160141388.jpg
IMG_20200816_161135194_HDR.jpg

Got everything installed today and went for a test drive. Got up to 60 without any vibs or other weird noises. Also, it's not any louder than I remember. I think I fixed a nagging exhaust leak tool, getting the pipes refitted after cutting two inches out of the mount.

I said it before, but this mod is no joke. Crazy amount of work. Really worth it though. I can't wait for next weekend, and my first wheeling trip.

So.. Exhaust. This is something I didn't really think too much about before hand. Dunno why, but I just didn't. I'm running a magna flow cat back I picked up used a while ago. Always liked the sound it makes.

I knew I was going to bed to shorten the mid mount (the one that is welded to the transmission mount). I didn't figure that would be a big deal. I cut the factory welds, shortened it up, and re-welded the bracket in place. No Pics of that, cuz I'm a crappy welder. Working my way back, the bump over the able was contacting the tub. I loosened the clamp on the tailpipe and thankfully, the tube slipped down about 3" so, now I have plenty of clearance to the tub.

Finally, the tail pipe hanger needed to be addressed. One of the bolts was stripped in the frame and the tailpipe was contacting the bumper bolts. I installed a couple Rivnuts to hold the hanger in the frame, and cut the tailpipe back behind the bumper.

Pre-cut
IMG_20200816_120103571.jpg

I simply cut the turn down off.

IMG_20200816_120437817.jpg

It worked out way better than I expected. It's nice and tight to the frame. Can't even see it from behind the vehicle. I should probably polish the tip a little...

Reactions: psrivats
Weekend trip went great. Had lots of fun, got stuck in the mud (grrrrrr) and the Jeep performed flawlessly. I was leading so I didn't get many pictures of my Jeep (or in general). Here is most of the group, before heading out. Two TJ's and a JK, all on 33's. We also had a Cherokee on 32's.

IMG_20200820_201748049.jpg

Here, we've pretty much finished for the day. Had to give up my spare to the Cherokee...

IMG_20200821_153455070_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200821_160043.jpg

A good time was had by all.

But, as we all know, mods beget mods, and I have another one to do. I spent most of yesterday getting the mud and shit off the Jeep. When I looked at it today, I noticed a spot on my bumper I thought I missed.
IMG_20200824_183244956.jpg

Turns out, my exhaust that is tucked up so nicely is cooking my bumper. Explains the hot paint smell I've had, but couldn't locate! I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but the bumper is too hot to touch after a 7 mile drive.

I think I'll just try a turn down tip. If that doesn't work, gonna rethink my bumper choice.

IMG_20200824_183251663_HDR.jpg

mods beget mods
The Mod Merry-go-round!
Looking good, how's the motorhome project?
It's coming. Went through the steering (that was a fiasco) and finally have all the parts to rebuild the intermediate shaft. I had to invent a process to fix it...

Anyway, I'm going to inspect and repack the rear wheel bearings this weekend and we're going on a 1000 mile round trip for labor day. Nothing like taking it 10x further than you've ever driven it before!

It's coming. Went through the steering (that was a fiasco) and finally have all the parts to rebuild the intermediate shaft. I had to invent a process to fix it...

Anyway, I'm going to inspect and repack the rear wheel bearings this weekend and we're going on a 1000 mile round trip for labor day. Nothing like taking it 10x further than you've ever driven it before!
You never shy away from a challenge!
If your towing the TJ, you've got back up.

Looks like an easy enough fix with some trimming and a turn down. Have fun on the trip. Ours is on standby with the wild fires looming the area.

Reactions: Mike_H
How did the tummy tuck workout for you @Mike_H ? Was it a noticeable difference?
I would say yes. I know I got into the skids (as evidenced by some scratches). I only hung up twice. Once was deep mud, so the BIG tires are the only way to combat that (this mud pit probably would have needed 37+). The other was in a little rock garden where a rock shifted and got under my rear axle.

I also know the other guys I was with got hung up on more stuff than I did, and we're all build pretty similarly, except the TT.

Reactions: psrivats
I think I mentioned the deep mud pit that I got stuck in last time I went wheeling. You guys out west might have beautiful vistas and gnarly, rocky trails. But, you don't get to have anywhere near this much fun! /sarcasm

View attachment 188818

There is a video too, but its not shot very well...

I shudder at the thought of cleaning after something like that. That pit is crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Yep, I want to see the cleaning process after that mud run ;)
trust me...Its tedious and boring. You don't want to see it. You want to experience it first hand! My process goes something like this. Park jeep in the grass and run the sprinkler under it for an hour or so to soften everything up. Fire up the pressure washer and get as much of the heavy stuff as I can off. I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees, spraying around suspension, brakes, wheel insides, into the frame, etc. Probably an hour or more. Then, I get the regular hose and a bucket of soapy water. Clean the exterior 2x (you won't get it all the first time). NOW we move to the inside. That is another 3 hour process (that I haven't done yet).

Here is that crappy video, in case you wanna see how sloppy this stuff is when wet. Its generally a Clay/Sand mixture. It packs into the tires hard, and really needs wheelspeed and horsepower to clear...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: psrivats and Chris
I got lucky today. I've had an ebay watch set-up for the miller support fixture to hold the main and counter shafts for the NV3550 transmission for a while now. A new listing popped up today for the fixture, but missing most of the other stuff. I made an offer for 50 bucks and it was accepted! That is, by far, the cheapest I've seen a fixture go for, even incomplete like mine is. Its a small thing, but I know my transmission could use some synchros...Now, I can justify buying some parts and not having to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money to work on it!

1600629583111.png

@rraulston I may be hitting you up for some info on the reverse gear holding fixture (the big thing this is missing).

In my never ending quest to roll the clock back on my 04, I found a FB marketplace "deal" this weekend. Picked up a 62,000 mile steering box from an LJ to replace the 146,000 mile one on my Rubicon. Gave the guy 250 bucks, which still seems expensive, but considering a brand new box is about 1700 bucks (you CAN still get them, if you cross-reference to a Mercedes part number), 250 didn't seem bad.

Bonus is that I got to meet another "jeep guy." Dude has about 9 of them in various configurations. He's been "importing" them from Texas so he has nice, clean stuff (which is pretty rare here in MI). Not sure how he's doing it, but the LJ I got my steering box from was sold because it had a bad transmission. He paid 3500 bucks for it! I don't know where he's finding them...but He's a good guy to know.