My jeep starts fine when it's cold, but if I shut it off then immediately try to start it it will hit but not fire. It will also sputter if I drive it on the highway for more than 10 minutes like it's running out of gas. I put a new fuel pump in and it didn't change anything. Any help is much appreciated.
My jeep is a 1997 sport 4.0 auto

Fuel filter or ignition coil would be the first places I'd look.

Coils have a tendency to open their windings as they warm up, causing a loss of voltage to the spark plugs.
Fuel filter will cause a lack of power because the pump just can't push enough fuel through the dirty filter to satisfy the engines needs.

Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately my check engine light stays on all the time due to not running a catalytic converter. How big of a task is it to change the coil? Where is the fuel filter located? I've searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find any info on this

Thanks for the info guys! Unfortunately my check engine light stays on all the time due to not running a catalytic converter. How big of a task is it to change the coil? Where is the fuel filter located? I've searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find any info on this
Hook a code reader up and see if there is an additional code besides the one for the missing cat.

Reactions: TheJadeJeep944
Hook a code reader up and see if there is an additional code besides the one for the missing cat.

X2 to this.

Chances are that you're throwing more than one code. Hook up a scanner and report back with all the codes it's throwing.

It could very well be throwing a code for the misfire. I would bet on it!

Reactions: TheJadeJeep944