Missed opportunity

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I'm fine tuning the break in on a big brake kit I put on a rig with 37's. For some reason on damp streets, the left front is locking up before the other side. I'm on the loop I take every time I do the several hard stops and have used for at least 50 times doing the same break in. I'm struggling to keep it from locking up though and the tire has screeched a couple of times in roughly the same area, give or take half a block or so.

2nd time by I hear someone holler, look around, can't see them.
Next time I hear it again and look, still missed them.
I'm ready for it the next time around and finally catch sight of someone in their backyard looking over the fence towards me and the street.
Next time around he is now standing at the street yelling something at me so I stop, back up closer to where he is and his yelling is non stop, cussing, etc. Don't you have a street in front of your house you can do that shit on? What the hell is your problem? Why are you on my street?

He is perturbed, and just running his mouth non stop as he walks towards the rig and I started to try to explain what I was doing and then realizing he was just not going to give me a chance to say anything, I'd had just about enough and said "You know, we could have done this the easy way, but you can just fuck right off" and left.

Went around again to cool them down and then went and parked in my driveway to finish the cool down. About 10 minutes later, a cop goes by, turns around up around the corner, goes back by the other way without stopping and I walk out to the street and wave him down. He finally sees me, turns around and comes back, rolls down the passenger window so we can talk.

Did that asshole call the cops on me? Yes he did. You want my side of it so we can see if he is telling the truth? Nope, he told me what you were doing and I told him you were just breaking in some brakes. I said that's right, I've got a problem with one side and the wet streets are making it hard to stop it from skidding which I don't want it to do. Yeah, I figured as much, we're good, don't worry about it, we don't have a problem, and he rolled out.

Had the asshole given me a teeny little chance to get a word in edgewise, we could have been neighborly neighbors, now, he's the dick that lives around the corner. FYI, the reason I use this area is there is zero traffic. I made that loop at least 7 times and never encountered another car traveling on the streets.

Inflict revenge in a hideously medieval way. Obliterate every strand of DNA in his entire gene pool. Even his pets.

Inflict revenge in a hideously medieval way. Obliterate every strand of DNA in his entire gene pool. Even his pets.
We live in a rural area. Him being bothered by commonplace events enough to call the cops is its own revenge. We've made it a point since we moved out here 10 years ago to let folks know to chat if there is a problem, we'll do the same, and lets all watch out for each other. I guess he didn't get the memo.

Reactions: B252 and matkal
its unfortunate when people cant just come out and talk to you. Seems like these days more and more there is no communication just assumption

and thats with I live in the country
We pretty much do. Not quite as sparsely populated as where I grew up in NM, but certainly not the city. My loop is to turn right on Connecticut and go up to the corner and keep making rights.

If you lived across the street from each other I would wager that your neighbor is the type who would resort to this:

View attachment 91270
Not my style. I am working on an idea for a water balloon launcher that is good for 815.88 feet though, since that is the exact distance from my back gate to his front door.

Where I live people would say that is way too urban.
And I wouldn't disagree with them. It does however suit our needs quite nicely. Far enough away from the neighbors that I can't hear them or their bullshit unless it gets too loud, close enough that we can see what is going on and keep an eye on things for each other, which we do.

Reactions: TJ Starting
its unfortunate when people cant just come out and talk to you. Seems like these days more and more there is no communication just assumption

Have you heard of the Nextdoor App? Should be for local selling/trading/get-togethers/general inquiries/meeting your neighbor. I signed up for the one in my neighborhood and regret it, its now a platform for people to bitch and moan about something they saw hoping that some power-that-be will do something about it.

Next time just ask him if he needs a hug, but only if he’s really pissed!
I suspect it is all going the way of suburbia and this is just the first of a series of things that will happen to try and move us into city life. If I were the type to do so, there are easily 20 events per weekend that I could call the cops for. There is a constant series of folks riding SXSs, golf carts, dirt bikes, quads, etc. on the street back here. None of that is actually legal and the reason we have liked living here is we can enjoy doing some technically illegal things without worrying about the neighbors being assholes about it. We much prefer the live and let live lifestyle that has been the norm.

Reactions: Daryl and derekmac
Have you heard of the Nextdoor App? Should be for local selling/trading/get-togethers/general inquiries/meeting your neighbor. I signed up for the one in my neighborhood and regret it, its now a platform for people to bitch and moan about something they saw hoping that some power-that-be will do something about it.
I was offered the invite by the local facebook page admin. When I saw all the info they required for me to sign up, yeah, they can fuck right off. I'm not hard to find but I'm not going to make it that easy.

On a lighter note, did you figure out why the left side was locking up sooner...? Or did the street Nazi derail the investigation?

On a lighter note, did you figure out why the left side was locking up sooner...? Or did the street Nazi derail the investigation?
It is common during the break in for the sides to have variable stopping ability. I suspect it was just the damp streets that were showing the differences more easily. I'll try again today since the streets are dry to double check since there was no pull to either side until lock up.