Missing leak detection pump and filter

Steve Allen

Just bought a 2000 project 4.0 auto. and the Leak Detection Pump and filter are missing. Was there any version of the 2000 tj where these weren’t installed? Jeep runs ok ( has a little skip sometimes) so wonder if I need to add these back. Lots of them on ebay. You can see in the pic where it is supposed to be and the vac line that goes to the pump is capped off.

6ECFC24D-DF25-4A27-AC3F-89B3412F3805.jpeg

Now that I look at this closer, I don’t think this thing ever had the pump and filter because there is no evidence that there was ever a bracket attached to the inner fender. The paint there is perfect. A bracket would have left marks. Also I found this sticker on the inside of the hood (see pic) showing the catalyst and Evap system and you can see that the pump and filter are not listed. Sorry didn’t see that’s before. It even says that the vac fitting that’s is capped off is not used. I guess they are not all the same even in the same year. So, sorry for the Q’s but this just adds to my education and hopefully some others. Is mine some sort of weird package? I also wonder if that has something to do with the other post I started about the missing connector for the o2 sensor? Looks like I’m looking for problems that don’t exist based on the fact that this one is not like any other Jeep of the same year I’ve worked on.

4DE8BF01-C392-4146-A460-F4F2FF2D2E84.jpeg

My 2000 4.0 is missing the same fitting. Jeep runs like a top and I don’t want to fix something that isn’t broken, but it does bug me!
like yours, it looks like something was attached fairly recently as it is not covered with dust or oil.