Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay, so I was thinking about this last night in bed and I believe I may be confused...

If you raise the body 1" with a body lift, then why bother raising the engine 1" with a MML? I thought the engine was attached to the frame, correct? If so, raising the body 1" wouldn't cause any driveline changes or anything, but adding a 1" MML would cause some small driveline / angle changes since you'd be raising the engine 1" and therefore causing the angle of the transfer case to slightly change, no?

So what I am asking, is what is the reason people do a MML in conjunction with a body lift in the first place? Is it solely to raise the engine up 1" so that the fan is inline with the radiator?

And lastly... I assume that along with a body lift, a MML is required for a proper tummy tuck, right?

A MML tilts the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly by raising its front two motor mounts but leaving the third mount under the transmission at the same height. Tilting the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly by installing a MML or a tcase drop will at least reduce if not eliminate an excessive angle at the rear driveshaft u-joints caused by installing a tall suspension lift.

The affects of combining a MML and tcase drop together is additive in that installing both reduces an excessive angle more than installing either by itself could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
A MML tilts the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly by raising its front two motor mounts but leaving the third mount under the transmission at the same height. Tilting the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly by installing a MML or a tcase drop will at least reduce if not eliminate an excessive angle at the rear driveshaft u-joints caused by installing a tall suspension lift.

The affects of combining a MML and tcase drop together is additive in that installing both reduces an excessive angle more than installing either by itself could.

So if you're just doing a body lift alone is there a point in doing a motor mount lift?

No need for a MML just because a body lift was installed. You can instead just drop the fan shroud an inch by drilling new mounting bolt holes 1" higher in the shroud.

Reactions: Chris
Okay, well I don't even know why I'm asking since I know that a MML is required for sure with my tummy tuck. I was mostly just curious I think!