Moab 2020 (Day one didn't go as planned)

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Well, we started our Moab adventure yesterday. I’ve previously run Poison Spider but we ran out of time and turned around at the Golden Spike trail.

So this year we went back to run Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim and finish on Gemini Bridges.

All was going well, we got through Poison Spider including the loop. No big deal.

We start making our way through Golden Spike making great time.

About 3 miles before the Golden Crack I stop to grab a water out of the Dometic. All of a sudden while walking back to the drivers door I hear a woosh. Water is now pouring out from under the engine. I pop the hood and finally see the top of the radiator split.

We had many bottles of water but they were quickly used up trying to fill the radiator back up. I used a section of a harbor freight moving mat and nearly a roll of electrical tape patching the hole. And of course since all my buddy’s backed out I was traveling solo.

We pushed forward watching the gauge on my OBD scanner. Stopped whenever it started climbing.

We weren’t making good time. Called the non emergency hotline and they sent a guy with a buggy to help us. We talked with him and we figured a 2-part epoxy JB weld would be enough to get me back to town so he set out with that and many gallons of water plus some ice cold bottles for us since it was 104 degrees outside and I put everything I had in the radiator. We did still have some vitamin waters so we weren’t going to die immediately.

While waiting for him a couple jeeps came by and they had a good supply of water so we filled the radiator and pushed forward to put us closer to the buggy that was coming.

We made it almost to Golden Crack by the time we met up with the buggy. He patched our radiator and we filled up. He gave us extra JB weld and lots of water to get us back to Moab but he had to go and couldn’t stay with us.

The patch worked and we finished all the trails and made it to Oreilly’s to get a new radiator.

While buying the radiator the patch blew and dumped much of the water out in their parking lot, we filled it back up and drove to our campsite.

Installed the new one this morning. Working well now.

Takeaways, I will never venture offroad without JB weld. I’ll also take considerably more water next time.

I did have my inreach so I could have hit the SOS button if things got bad. Everything worked out and we had a good time but it ended up being a much longer day and all that was really hurt was my wallet, it’s not cheap having a buggy bring you JB weld and water.

PS - I still finished the trail before the guys that gave me water.

Some days...
EDIT: Let's hope the rest of the time goes as smooth as silk...the really good silk...that's really smooth :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Well, we started our Moab adventure yesterday. I’ve previously run Poison Spider but we ran out of time and turned around at the Golden Spike trail.

So this year we went back to run Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim and finish on Gemini Bridges.

All was going well, we got through Poison Spider including the loop. No big deal.

About 3 miles before the Golden Crack I stop to grab a water out of the Dometic. All of a sudden while walking back to the drivers door I hear a woosh. Water is now pouring out from under the engine. I pop the hood and finally see the top of the radiator split.

We had many bottles of water but they were quickly used up trying to fill the radiator back up. I used a section of a harbor freight moving mat and nearly a roll of electrical tape patching the hole. And of course since all my buddy’s backed out I was traveling solo.

We pushed forward watching the gauge on my OBD scanner. Stopped whenever it started climbing.

We weren’t making good time. Called the non emergency hotline and they sent a guy with a buggy to help us. We talked with him and we figured a 2-part epoxy JB weld would be enough to get me back to town so he set out with that and many gallons of water plus some ice cold bottles for us since it was 104 degrees outside and I put everything I had in the radiator. We did still have some vitamin waters so we weren’t going to die immediately.

While waiting for him a couple jeeps came by and they had a good supply of water so we filled the radiator and pushed forward to put us closer to the buggy that was coming.

We made it almost to Golden Crack by the time we met up with the buggy. He patched our radiator and we filled up. He gave us extra JB weld and lots of water to get us back to Moab but he had to go and couldn’t stay with us.

The patch worked and we finished all the trails and made it to Oreilly’s to get a new radiator.

While buying the radiator the patch blew and dumped much of the water out in their parking lot, we filled it back up and drove to our campsite.

Takeaways, I will never venture offroad without JB weld. I’ll also take considerably more water next time.

I did have my inreach so I could have hit the SOS button if things got bad. Everything worked out and we had a good time but it ended up being a much longer day and all that was really hurt was my wallet, it’s not cheap having a buggy bring you JB weld and water.

JB Weld on my list. That sucks on the wallet.

Reactions: Apparition
The trifecta is a long day. At least you were in Moab where all the parts stores carry everything Jeep. I couldn't imagine being out in the middle of nowhere! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Yeah, would have sucked having to put it back on the trailer day one with no parts.

Had I been with a buddy about all we could have done differently was go get the radiator and change it on the trail.

Glad you got it up and running again. Thanks for posting. I've got JB in my Jeep toolbox but it's the liquid in the tubes that takes hours to set up. I might switch to the putty.

did I miss a thread about how you ended up solo? Thought you were picking up some folks in Denver.

Getting pulled out of Moab isn't cheap. I remember talking to a guy who would get stuck or broken people towed out. $500 / hour from the time they left their office until the time they got back.

Next time and for future reference- keep a small piece of coarse grit sand paper in your stash. Also have a couple of feet of the fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Sand the split area, clean it well, wipe in a thin layer of the JB 5 minute or enough to fully saturate the layer of mesh. Put down another layer of mesh, cover that mess with more JB. Relax and let it set for a bit, top it off with water, leave the AC off, drive it back to town and it will actually make it with no issue.

What is it with Moab and cracked radiators? Me, on the way to Moab,
20160507_214248.jpg

The fix at the hotel parking lot in Elko,
20160507_214312.jpg

20160507_215743.jpg

Made it the rest of the way to Moab the next day, and probably would have held up for rest of the week, but I replaced the radiator anyway.

Next time and for future reference- keep a small piece of coarse grit sand paper in your stash. Also have a couple of feet of the fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Sand the split area, clean it well, wipe in a thin layer of the JB 5 minute or enough to fully saturate the layer of mesh. Put down another layer of mesh, cover that mess with more JB. Relax and let it set for a bit, top it off with water, leave the AC off, drive it back to town and it will actually make it with no issue.
Great advice, thanks.

Reactions: mrblaine