Utah Moab June Fest 2023 Week of June 11th

Everyone at min needs to bring their own drinks. I guess I was thinking of something easy like burgers, brats, etc. either everyone chip in some $$ and I shop or bring something to put it all together. Idk.

Can we get a string of numbers going for a text group so we can stay in touch during the week and I can communicate via that way?

Is there anybody who will show up that isn't in this list?

@Apparition
@Mrs.Apparition
@MagnumV8
@gasiorv
@Woodrow
@lBasket fuck yeah
@rasband

Everyone at min needs to bring their own drinks. I guess I was thinking of something easy like burgers, brats, etc. either everyone chip in some $$ and I shop or bring something to put it all together. Idk.

Can we get a string of numbers going for a text group so we can stay in touch during the week and I can communicate via that way?

If you are willing to do the shopping, I would be happy to put in some cash towards the food. It seems that would be easier than all of us trying to get to the market.

Reactions: JMT and lBasket
If you are willing to do the shopping, I would be happy to put in some cash towards the food. It seems that would be easier than all of us trying to get to the market.

I agree. The only thing this pregnant potato can do! 😂

Especially if you are all out on the trail. Everyone wants to eat instead of shop first.

Reactions: RINC and Apparition
My friend Trent and his fiance Riley. I guess they have 2 other people coming mid-trip but I don't honestly know what day they are showing up.

And I'll happily kick you guys some cash for some food. Fair trade to meee not like I don't eat out every meal out there anyways

@Mrs.Apparition was working on the text list, I believe we have everyone's numbers that I posted above so that's why I asked.

Reactions: lBasket
Does everyone have GMRS radios? I believe these are right feel free to correct me if anything isn't. I have a couple hand helds to loan out if needed. The DCS codes make it more enjoyable but we can run without them if needed.

GroupGMRS Ch (freq)DCS
TJFest 116 (462.575)D223N
TJFest 217 (462.600)D223N
TJFest 318 (462.625)D223N
TJFest 419 (462.650)D223N
TJFest 521 (462.700)D223N

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
Does everyone have GMRS radios? I believe these are right feel free to correct me if anything isn't. I have a couple hand helds to loan out if needed. The DCS codes make it more enjoyable but we can run without them if needed.

GroupGMRS Ch (freq)DCS
TJFest 116 (462.575)D223N
TJFest 217 (462.600)D223N
TJFest 318 (462.625)D223N
TJFest 419 (462.650)D223N
TJFest 521 (462.700)D223N

I just picked up a pair of handheld Midlands for this trip but haven't used them and don't have the permit yet. So that's on the list of things to figure out.

Reactions: Apparition
I just picked up a pair of handheld Midlands for this trip but haven't used them and don't have the permit yet. So that's on the list of things to figure out.

Here's a better pic of the settings, the TJFest are the normal GMRS channels with the addition of the DCS codes. The DCS codes allow your radio to filter out everyone who is talking on the same channel that isn't running the codes. Those people will hear everything we say but we can't hear what they say back. If you can try to add in the TJFest channels in addition to the regular ones.

1685651764890.png

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and Woodrow
I programmed those freq and dcs codes into my radio by hand, it may or may not work, we will see. Since I programmed by hand I couldn't add the name (TJFEST#) so you will just have to tell me what Freq. I also have just the family channels programmed with no tone codes which I know they work because we use them all the time.

Repacked the bearings on the trailer over the last few nights. I repacked the bearings last august and they had about 4000 miles on them so I was up in the air on whether or not to repack them. Once I started all of them looked great (like it was a waste of my time to repack them) except for one rear wheel outer bearing which had milky (white and light brown) grease and some corrosion on the bearing cage. Don't know how, but apparently moisture got into that one bearing. The bearing rollers looked good, it was just the cage that was lightly corroded, but since I had a spare bearing/race I installed the spare race and bearing and made the removed bearing/race my travel spare.

Going to rotate the tires and check the brake pads on the truck and give it a good once over this weekend.

Then have to convert the mountain bike from Single Speed to Gears. I am fat, out of shape, and a flat lander, so gears it is for this trip.

Lastly, will be one final bolt check and once over on the jeep before it goes on the trailer next Friday!

I programmed those freq and dcs codes into my radio by hand, it may or may not work, we will see. Since I programmed by hand I couldn't add the name (TJFEST#) so you will just have to tell me what Freq. I also have just the family channels programmed with no tone codes which I know they work because we use them all the time.

Repacked the bearings on the trailer over the last few nights. I repacked the bearings last august and they had about 4000 miles on them so I was up in the air on whether or not to repack them. Once I started all of them looked great (like it was a waste of my time to repack them) except for one rear wheel outer bearing which had milky (white and light brown) grease and some corrosion on the bearing cage. Don't know how, but apparently moisture got into that one bearing. The bearing rollers looked good, it was just the cage that was lightly corroded, but since I had a spare bearing/race I installed the spare race and bearing and made the removed bearing/race my travel spare.
Weird. Nice to find out it wasn't a waste of time though lol. Maybe you just parked it on a puddle or something?
Going to rotate the tires and check the brake pads on the truck and give it a good once over this weekend.

Then have to convert the mountain bike from Single Speed to Gears. I am fat, out of shape, and a flat lander, so gears it is for this trip.
People ride fixies out here. They're fucking crazy.
Lastly, will be one final bolt check and once over on the jeep before it goes on the trailer next Friday!
Big hype!! I gotta do this too. Do you actually mark the bolts or do u just walk around with a torque wrench

Reactions: RINC and Apparition
I just start on the front end with a 3/4" (steering and axle side TB), 13/16", 7/8" (Control Arm Johnny Joints), and 15/16" (Track Bar Frame side) wrenches and touch all the joints from the front to the back. Also, give brackets/welds a quick look for cracks. Then I will torque the lug nuts and make sure all my tire plugs are still sticking out of the sidewalls the proper amount :)

I am not hipster enough to ride a fixie. I will drink a PBR every now and again, but that is because a good $3 pounder hits the spot, not because it matches my skinny jeans and flannel.

Alright, what's the difference between a fixie and single speed MTB?

Reactions: Woodrow
I agree. The only thing this pregnant potato can do! 😂

Especially if you are all out on the trail. Everyone wants to eat instead of shop first.

I remember the days of camping out and bringing 15lbs of Carne Asada.
Carne-Asada-on-the-Grill.jpg

Hey @Apparition , next time you stop by for lunch I'll take you to a Filiberto's.

Alright, what's the difference between a fixie and single speed MTB?

Single speed has only one cog in the rear and it has a ratcheting/free wheel rear hub so you can stop pedaling and coast. A fixie also only has one cog but the hub is fixed and doesn't free wheel so you cannot stop pedalling, if the rear wheel is turning so are the pedals. Fixies also don't typically have brakes because you speed up and slow down the rear wheel with the pedals, but a SS uses typical disk brakes.

Single speed has only one cog in the rear and it has a ratcheting/free wheel rear hub so you can stop pedaling and coast. A fixie also only has one cog but the hub is fixed and doesn't free wheel so you cannot stop pedalling, if the rear wheel is turning so are the pedals. Fixies also don't typically have brakes because you speed up and slow down the rear wheel with the pedals, but a SS uses typical disk brakes.

Ah I see. So you get to snag the back of your calf with the pedals on a fixie... Sounds nice.

They were all the rage when I lived in the dorms. I had a car instead 😂

• Haha
Reactions: RINC and Woodrow

I've got a couple of single speeds and, in the right environment, I really enjoy them. Simple bikes can be the most fun, sometimes. One is a XC bike that weighs 21#. It makes mellow trails challenging.
Ventana.jpg

The other is a sentimental favorite. A 1977 Fuji road bike (that I bought new at age 12) converted to flat bar SS that is mostly for paved trails. The Surly hub on this one can actually be reversed and run fixie (but no thx).
1977 Fuji.jpg