Utah Moab June Fest 2023 Week of June 11th

Even stretched TJ's can have issues there.

I'd say many rigs can have issues there. I made it both years but I had to work at it... Being able to change my height and WB helps some plus being able to lean...

I can't find any good pictures from when I had 35" tires but here's on 38" tires. And I'd been messing with the suspension the night before and had the air springs set too stiff.

IMGP2146.JPG

IMGP2152.JPG

I did do this in 07. Ran like SHIT until I was able to pry it open a little bit.

1685996889783.png

Even stretched TJ's can have issues there. Set to start at Rocker Knocker.

Yeah, I see that different problem. He does get too straight on the closer he gets to the rock. Trying to go straight up is a no go for most rigs. It all depends on the obstacle what wheelbase has advantage. And like @gasiorv said, I'm really not going to change things up for one obstacle or trail. It's more about thinking through it and what would be best for where I usually wheel. In my situation in E WA, the trails suck. I have to go to W WA to find anything decent, and making annual trips to places like Moab, Fordyce, the Rubicon are my preferred way to wheel, so I'm not seeing difficult stuff as often as I did when I lived in TX near Wolf Caves and Hidden Falls. I'm kinda down about it actually. Sucks.

Reactions: Apparition
Yeah, I see that different problem. He does get too straight on the closer he gets to the rock. Trying to go straight up is a no go for most rigs. It all depends on the obstacle what wheelbase has advantage. And like @gasiorv said, I'm really not going to change things up for one obstacle or trail. It's more about thinking through it and what would be best for where I usually wheel. In my situation in E WA, the trails suck. I have to go to W WA to find anything decent, and making annual trips to places like Moab, Fordyce, the Rubicon are my preferred way to wheel, so I'm not seeing difficult stuff as often as I did when I lived in TX near Wolf Caves and Hidden Falls.

We've got to WORK on your geography & sense of direction..... Anything EAST of the Cascades is eastern WA..... The BEST trails in the state are east of the Cascades.
You live in the flat area of WA. The good trails are only 3-4 hours away from you.

Pucker Ridge, Short & Dirty, Gut Slide, Blue Slide are fun trails in Rim Rock. And you've done some of the Naches trails at Trail Jamboree.

We've got to WORK on your geography & sense of direction..... Anything EAST of the Cascades is eastern WA..... The BEST trails in the state are east of the Cascades.
You live in the flat area of WA. The good trails are only 3-4 hours away from you.

Pucker Ridge, Short & Dirty, Gut Slide, Blue Slide are fun trails in Rim Rock. And you've done some of the Naches trails at Trail Jamboree.

If you live over here this is E WA and you’re in W WA. 🤣

3-4 hrs and I’m spending the night. Reiter was about 5hr. I didn’t end up doing Trail Jamboree. It was filled up.

But yeah, I’ll come when I can. Our group on the forum seems hard to get together for a run. All they do around here in the clubs is stroke each others RE lift and do poker runs. Seems that way at least. I can’t make the meetings bc I work those nights. Blah. Im whining.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
What I'm feeling is subjective. I readily admit that. It was really just on Pritchett. I may have been spooked from the prior days flop. It was the end of the trip and I was tired (camping out 8 days straight). I also had to drive the rig home the next day and didn't want to take any chances of being stranded 1,000 miles from home. I do think those are the prevailing factors. All that said, I still think some of these factors will exist the next time I go to Moab (or other wheelin trips). I simply will not have enough money to buy a truck and trailer to carry my rig.

My objective setup is ~93" wb, a 15" wheel with tires aired down to 12psi, and 4.25" BS. So that I feel more stable, planted, I am conjuring up about 3 build plans. First, the wider bigger axle and stretch plan is probably a no go just based on the fact that it's my DD and even if I retire it and buy a beater, I won't be able to drive it hundreds of miles without tire coverage. Second, the stretch plan is what it is, ~7k minimally. It's a good setup, and from reading @Sj's TJ build thread and @02GreenTJ build thread, they felt more stable and planted after a stretch. A 5-6" stretch won't affect my width, so I think I'd be golden for PNW narrow trails. $7k is cheap when compared to a big truck and trailer to trailer the rig. The third plan is dropping to a 33" tire. Ever since I left 33's and went to 35's I've probably stated 100 times, even recently, how much more planted and stable I felt. Again, that's subjective, how I feel, but it's also objectively true. I had a lot more confidence. I'm in no hurry now. I only felt that way on Pritchett, and see paragraph 1 for why I probably felt that way. If I was back on Pritchett today I might not feel that way since it was my second time around and knew what I was getting into.

All things considered, doing nothing except my petty projects like frame tuck or plan 2 are how I am thinking.

I'll add that doing the rear outboard on the shocks alone will likely add a ton of stability along with the nice shocks to match. It also try airing down more than 12psi. I ran 6psi on standard canyon wheels and never had any issues with throwing a bead. Doing a mid-arm also contributed to stability and of course the stretch. As you probably already know, if you have plans to stretch then do the outboard last or just stretch the frame. Re-doing an outboard would be a pain, but not the end of the world.

If you live over here this is E WA and you’re in W WA. 🤣

3-4 hrs and I’m spending the night. Reiter was about 5hr. I didn’t end up doing Trail Jamboree. It was filled up.

But yeah, I’ll come when I can. Our group on the forum seems hard to get together for a run. All they do around here in the clubs is stroke each others RE lift and do poker runs. Seems that way at least. I can’t make the meetings bc I work those nights. Blah. Im whining.

Like I keep saying you DON'T understand PNW geography. Ask anyone who's lived here for any length of time that anything east of the cascades is NOT W WA. That is the wetside...

You're whining way too much. I used to drive up from Milton-Freewater, OR wheel the trails in Naches and drive back home the same day.
I thought you'd done Trail Jamboree last year? Guess not.

I can't speak for clubs over in that area.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
Like I keep saying you DON'T understand PNW geography. Ask anyone who's lived here for any length of time that anything east of the cascades is NOT W WA. That is the wetside...

You're whining way too much. I used to drive up from Milton-Freewater, OR wheel the trails in Naches and drive back home the same day.
I thought you'd done Trail Jamboree last year? Guess not.

I can't speak for clubs over in that area.

First of all, I don't live in the PNW. I live in the INW. 🤣 All you have to do is ask anyone who lives over here!

You live in the scablands. 🤣 I would just say you're in the middle of nowhere!

I whine too much, and you bitch too much. It's why we get along. 😉

Now get back to working on that rig so I can come kick your ass wheelin in Naches. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
I'll add that doing the rear outboard on the shocks alone will likely add a ton of stability along with the nice shocks to match. It also try airing down more than 12psi. I ran 6psi on standard canyon wheels and never had any issues with throwing a bead. Doing a mid-arm also contributed to stability and of course the stretch. As you probably already know, if you have plans to stretch then do the outboard last or just stretch the frame. Re-doing an outboard would be a pain, but not the end of the world.

Yeah, I used to air down to 9 psi with my DC-2's, then I got these Mamba MR1X wheels last summer and I lost a bead twice this winter at 9-10psi. I don't really know what it is structurally about this wheel that makes the bead not hold as well on the rim edge since I can't compare it with the DC-2's which I sold.

If I do stretch I was planning to move the arch back by cutting in front of the arch where the midarm frame bracket will go, then weld the bracket on to double as a fishplate. Then cut the back of the frame off and weld my crossmember back on. Then I'd be in a position to outboard. I think that's what you're saying.

Bringing it back to the Moab June Fest 2023....

This is what I think the preliminary itinerary looks like, what about Thurs?
Sun - Steel Bender
Mon- Fins/Hell's/TOTW
Tues - Pritchett
Wed - Trifecta reverse with Rusty Nail for those who want the option
Thurs - ??
Fri - Metal Masher in morning
Sat - ??

My schedule which mostly coincides with you all's.
Sun - Mt Bike Phil's World in Cortez CO on our way to moab.
Mon- Run Fins/Hell's with you all in the morning. Then mt bike in the afternoon.
Tues - Pritchett with you
Wed - Trifecta with you (ok if Wed and Thurs swap)
Thurs - ToTW and Dome Plateau with my buddy in his stock Tacoma. Anyone else who didn't make TOTW on Monday with the group is welcome to join us.
Fri - Metal Masher in the morning and then Mt Bike afternoon
Sat - Early departure to head home.

Reactions: RINC
Bringing it back to the Moab June Fest 2023....

This is what I think the preliminary itinerary looks like, what about Thurs?
Sun - Steel Bender
Mon- Fins/Hell's/TOTW
Tues - Pritchett
Wed - Trifecta reverse with Rusty Nail for those who want the option
Thurs - ??
Fri - Metal Masher in morning
Sat - ??

My schedule which mostly coincides with you all's.
Sun - Mt Bike Phil's World in Cortez CO on our way to moab.
Mon- Run Fins/Hell's with you all in the morning. Then mt bike in the afternoon.
Tues - Pritchett with you
Wed - Trifecta with you (ok if Wed and Thurs swap)
Thurs - ToTW and Dome Plateau with my buddy in his stock Tacoma. Anyone else who didn't make TOTW on Monday with the group is welcome to join us.
Fri - Metal Masher in the morning and then Mt Bike afternoon
Sat - Early departure to head home.

Could move TOTW from Monday.

Had not thought of that when I said I am out of the game. Knee pain all winter turnt out to be a broken knee. The avatar is from my favorite YT channel Wrecked Gear.

You broke your knee and didn't notice it? What broke?

When I broke my knee, I threw up from the pain trying to walk on it lol

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
You broke your knee and didn't notice it? What broke?

When I broke my knee, I threw up from the pain trying to walk on it lol

Remember, Gen X are feral kids who grew up out in the wilds and drank from garden hoses. I walked on it till I could not walk anymore.