Utah Moab Trip 4/27/19-5/5/19

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I thought I'd make a thread for the trip so we can chat all in one place, we've sort of talked about it on a few threads Some people will be there there for preplanned reasons, but I'm sure we can meet up at least a couple of nights and for some trails.

I'm staying in the townhomes on Meadow Drive (I believe Rim Village) and staying 4/28-5/3, going to drive the LJ over in what I hope is mostly done being built by then (maybe orange, maybe black.. we'll see) likely going to try and get a bunch of friends together as I have 6 person house :). I've stayed in the complex before and it has a garage so I can store my massive hardtop!

It's my birthday week that week too so feel free to bring jeep parts as presents :D. Tag anyone I forgot.

@Alex01 @bobthetj03 @ac_

Also if you guys want to post what you want to get out of the trip to set expectations.

What I hope to get out of the trip:

I've been to Moab once before and done some of the hikes in Arches (although it was July, so HOT).
In my Jeep I hope to explore canyon lands a fair bit on the large off road trail which wraps through the park, and do some other good offroad trails, nothing crazy-going-to-break-the-jeep but some fun and exploration/finding cool things is a plus! I also plan on doing some hiking as well around.

Last edited:
I actually have 04/25-05/01 off...its a 12 hour drive for me. I might be in! :D

Reactions: tomtaylz
Great idea @tomtaylz . My wife and I will also be renting a townhome on Meadow Dr along with my in-laws who own a mostly stock JKU unlimited on 35's and a 3 inch lift. We will be staying from April 27 - 3. As of now my plan is to rent a uhaul trailer and tow the jeep down behind the truck for the 14hr drive. I bought a great guide book for Moab and the surrounding area which I will add a link to at the bottom.

My plan is to have fun and run a mix of trails. I would like to get a badge of honor from the jeep app also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20

I actually have 04/25-05/01 off...its a 12 hour drive for me. I might be in! :D

Maybe Tom can sublet you a room :p

Reactions: EJD and tomtaylz
Great idea @tomtaylz . My wife and I will also be renting a townhome on Meadow Dr along with my in-laws who own a mostly stock JKU unlimited on 35's and a 3 inch lift. We will be staying from April 27 - 3. As of now my plan is to rent a uhaul trailer and tow the jeep down behind the truck for the 14hr drive. I bought a great guide book for Moab and the surrounding area which I will add a link to at the bottom.

My plan is to have fun and run a mix of trails. I would like to get a badge of honor from the jeep app also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20

Maybe Tom can sublet you a room :p
Oh we'll probably camp out there. I might do the u-haul situation too. I would definitely be hitting up some Badge of Honor Trails with you, I already have the app and 6 badges so far. I absolutely want to ride Elephant Hill. That you actually need a permit and sort of a reservation to ride on it though, because its in a national park and they only allow 24 vehicles on it per day. Might look into that a little ahead of time as it books up like a restaurant.

So there is "Top of the World", Metal Masher", "Fins and Things", "Hell's Revenge", "Steel Bender", "Pritchett Canyon", "Poison Spider", "Cliff Hanger", and "Elephant Hill". 9 potential badges to grab there!

Reactions: JMT
I would be game for elephant hill. I just saw the video by trail recon about it a few days back.

I was looking into it yesterday and you can only book 24/hr in advance.

I would be interested! It's only a 4ish hour drive for me.

Nice! Basically its a loose association of a bunch of people on this forum who happen to be there the same time, nothing official or anything but you're more than welcome to come out :). Like I said I'm sure there will be some more organized rides and then plenty of time to do your own thing. It'd be cool to get together at night too. I think a bunch of people will be at the KOA. There is going to be a TJ/LJ invasion at Moab :D

Reactions: MikeM
We stayed in Rim Village in 2016. Rented a nice house for a week and shared cost with another couple that went with us. The garage was nice to have since my radiator cracked in Winnemucca Nv. on the way to Moab.

Here's a video from one of our NorCal crew on Top of the World trail. Yes Tom, you'll be jealous of Scots JKU color, lol!

We stayed in Rim Village in 2016. Rented a nice house for a week and shared cost with another couple that went with us. The garage was nice to have since my radiator cracked in Winnemucca Nv. on the way to Moab.

Here's a video from one of our NorCal crew on Top of the World trail. Yes Tom, you'll be jealous of Scots JKU color, lol!

From the 20 seconds I spent browsing through that video, it looks do-able :D

Reactions: bobthetj03
Nice video. That is one nice looking TJ at the 2:54 mark.

Taking it like a boss brah!
1.jpg

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
Following... I would love to get the jeep out there, a group I wheel with from Indianapolis is going next month but I didn't know them at the planning stages and had already burned 2018 vacation. 2019 over MWD is a possibility.

I'll guide you up to the slab,k. Hope your park brakes work, lol!
Mine work great. Between that and first gear I'm not going anywhere. My wife will volunteer to take the photo since I know she isn't getting anywhere near that cliff.